Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Island New Zealand -vs- Cairns Aus

• 02-01-2015 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,

I am flying in to Melbourne on 16 Jan, so I have a week to play around with, befour meeting up with friends back in Melbourne.

I was thinking South island new zealand or Cairns Australia , just not really sure as some say the heat is a killer in Cairns?

Any advice would be appraised

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

South Island NZ versus anywhere else in the world?
    South Island NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Challo

Absolutely NZ but if you only have a week, might not be the best choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

south Island NZ no contest,
    however bear in mind it looks deceptively small but can take a long time to get around by car/bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Hi,

I am flying in to Melbourne on 16 Jan, so I have a week to play around with, befour meeting up with friends back in Melbourne.

I was thinking South island new zealand or Cairns Australia , just not really sure as some say the heat is a killer in Cairns?

Any advice would be appraised

South island is amazing but.... For only a week its a huge trip. cairns, port McGee, go up to the daintree rainforest, go to great barrier reef and you have used up a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cairns and surrounds is more do-able in a week. A week could never do the south island of NZ justice, to see it properly and take in a couple of treks in the backcountry you'd need 3 to 4 weeks. You'd need a minimum of two weeks there to get a good taste IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 rockthecazba

South Island by far. Won't get to see everything obviously but the town of cairns is a bit of a sh!t hole if I'm honest and really not the best place to see the Great Barrier Reef anyway. There's nicer places in oz, like byron bay or whitsundays that would be more doable in a week, and the reef is quite nice at Whitsundays if you dive there.

Advertisement