Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned

Options
  • 02-01-2015 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

hello there ,

i seem to be banned from the "golf" thread section . the moderator who banned me goes by the handle "greenbo" or maybe "greebo". the only reason i can ascertain is because my point of view differs wildly from his . i understand fully that a level of moderation is required in a debate forum but as i neither got personal in any way or represented anything other than an opinion i find it hard to fathom.

surely deleting posts and banning users (no matter how new to boards) just because they have a strong and well made point of view isn't in the interests of the forum ? what followed then were a series of private messages which i can only describe as gloating forwarded to me by said moderator .

i have tried to express my point of view but it keeps being deleted or more gloating private messages arrive. im told by others that if the said moderator dislikes or disagrees with your point then he/she regularly takes this action , this of course is hearsay but it does seem to concur with what i found his debating style.

i do not wish for any reprimand of the moderator in any way but would like my ability to freely voice my opinion reinstated. if not i shall leave the matter there and go my merry way.

a free and open debate in my experience needs little moderation but every second post on the golf thread seems to be from said moderator . is this level of moderation normal ?

thank you .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hi,

Can you advise, that you've tried to PM the mod who has banned you and work it out that way, as per the 1st step in this process?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Nick the slasher Mcgurk

private messages were indeed passed , mostly from the moderator and all in a gloating manner . in the end i asked him to stop contacting me pending my appeal. he ignored this request and PM'd me again saying that he hopes i get a board-wide ban which would make him laugh. i did not respond to this as its not the type of correspondence i am interested in participating in.

thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You know well what his handle is - you've been posting in that forum as "grip n rip" for the last year, where you built up a nice little record (3 warnings, 2 infractions and a ban).

Since you re-registered to continue your viewpoint after your ban (even pretending that you're a new user), you lose your right to appeal your ban.

I'll give you a right to reply before I close this off.

i stated what i believe his handle to be and again in case i was mistaken . a closed shop i can understand , but i believe on signing up when told to read the guidelines it should openly state that your opinion may not be as important to a chosen debate as those of a moderator.

all previous infractions were at the hand of same moderator due simply to the fact he/she doesn't agree with my point of view. previously i walked away just shaking my head but this time i find the censorship over the top and unprovoked. are you suggesting that a moderators word is always final no matter how right or wrong ? if so, this is leading down a slippery path i would suggest.

a convicted murderer can appeal , taking away anybody's right to appeal is both unconstitutional and certainly not in the spirit of any real debate forum.

as i said if its a closed shop i would imagine it should be shown freely and all new posters informed accordingly. as for the gloating and often overly rude PM's sent my way i can only ascertain by the tone of your reply that you condone such behavior ? if this be the case im more than happy to tally ho and move on but to the many people who find out their opinion is irrelevant to an open debate and any appeal they seek will face a closed door then all i can say is "be careful as a strong voice and confident opinion does not seem welcome".

however i do hope this appeal gets a valid investigation as i cant see boards being of any purpose if only the people who agree with a moderators point of view get a voice . if thats the case it becomes a club and not a debate forum .

thank you.

Let's look through the events of the last week:

You started with this, which earned you a red card (personal abuse, attacking a poster):
    rip n grip wrote:
    This is about the level of debate i like to avoid . Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.

The next day, a personal attack against greebo (a yellow card):
    rip n grip wrote:
    and we all know your opinion seems to be the only one that you think matters !

After that, you posted this (questioning a mod action, which earned you a red card):
    rip n grip wrote:
    why yo keep deleting my points grebo ? the power of moderation doesn't extend to censorship of opposing points in an open debate surely ?

After that, you posted this (which got you banned):
    rip n grip wrote:
    CENSORSHIP IN ANY NAME .
    The point made was that your opinion is just that , an opinion ! if you feel the need to delete that then you are weighing down one side of the debate . how do i complain a mod ?

So in summary, you brought this on yourself with abusive posts and breaking site-wide rules. The mod wasn't bullying you, nor was he stifling debate.

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rip n grip
    This is about the level of debate i like to avoid . Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity. -
    ......nothing wrong with that at all . its simply true.

The next day, a personal attack against greebo (a yellow card):

Quote:
    and we all know your opinion seems to be the only one that you think matters !
    .......- again stating a widely known fact , ask the people who regularly get banned by same moderator when he/she has no debate point of return. wheres the "personal attack" in that ?

After that, you posted this (questioning a mod action, which earned you a red card):

Quote:
    why yo keep deleting my points grebo ? the power of moderation doesn't extend to censorship of opposing points in an open debate surely ?
    -........ is this not a valid point ? open debate is what it claims to be .. Open !! censoring a point you cannot argue against with a valid point isnt debate its dictatorial censorship .

After that, you posted this (which got you banned):

Quote:
    CENSORSHIP IN ANY NAME .
    The point made was that your opinion is just that , an opinion ! if you feel the need to delete that then you are weighing down one side of the debate . how do i complain a mod ?
    .........exactly - can you not see that moderators need to be brought to book from time to time for deleting valid posts in order to steer the forum towards their personal beliefs ?

So in summary, you brought this on yourself with abusive posts and breaking site-wide rules. The mod wasn't bullying you, nor was he stifling debate.

......are you seriously telling me and other readers that i was banned for questioning why my valid points got deleted ? is deleting a non abusive , correct and intelligent point not stifling a debate ? you have just reinstated the fact that a strong valid point has no place on boards. its beyond belief that you have brought up these points when all they do is strengthen my original point that a moderator has an unreasonable power of censor if they cannot win an open debate !

i feel you have failed to adequately display to me and others why i was banned , maybe a strong valid and well spoken debating style doesn't sit well , maybe the fact i wont be intimidated by a one sided moderator and will speak my mind in a reasoned manner in reply is the issue , but the blind backing up of your fellow moderator shows a lack of willingness to address this problem.

again,
    thank you.

Ignorance is no excuse for stupidity.
    -
    ......nothing wrong with that at all . its simply true.

You can spin it any way you want, but everything stemmed from this. Personal abuse, leading to questioning a mod's action (twice), leading to a ban.

You're going to keep arguing your corner and this will go around in circles, so it's time to draw a line under this. You're the one who is in the wrong here.

You can keep your new account, but the ban stands. Case closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement