Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Vetting

Options
  • 02-01-2015 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi. Wondering if anyone can help me with this one, does anyone know how long the process of garda vetting is taking now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

If it's security clearance you are after then it will take 2-4 weeks. I got mine just before Christmas. Try calling them, I found them very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I know someone who's after getting it done for becoming a teacher. Sent off the beginning of September, came back mid to late October.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 seachanges

Hi Ojamesc, how long did your garda vetting take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ojamesc

Hi there.
    It was sent away the start of December and I got it back the end of January so approx 7 weeks give or take a few days for the Christmas period.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

Turnaround time is usually 3-4 weeks, can be longer at times but at the moment it's only a few weeks. Sometimes there can be a delay in the employer/organisation processing the forms themselves before they send them in which can make the process longer. But once the form has been submitted by employer it should be processed in 3-4 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 seachanges

Thanks orlyice, did you get one done recently too? Great to hear it's not as long as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭orlyice

seachanges wrote: »
    Thanks orlyice, did you get one done recently too? Great to hear it's not as long as I thought!

No, but I know someone who works there and happened to read this thread while waiting to meet them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

has anyone much knowledge/dealings with the Garda administrative filter???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf219

I applied for a job before Xmas which needed Garda vetting. As far as I know the vetting hasn't come back. Am I allowed to contact the vetting department to check on the status of my vetting application.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

Wolf219 wrote: »
    I applied for a job before Xmas which needed Garda vetting. As far as I know the vetting hasn't come back. Am I allowed to contact the vetting department to check on the status of my vetting application.

No the vetting department doesn't deal with the general public. You will have to get back on to the organisation where you sent the form. Just because you sent the form in before Christmas doesn't mean the Vetting Unit got it before Christmas. It is often the case wehre they can be sat on desks for weeks before they are sent in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

The delay is 100% the "fault" of the prospective employer but they won't admit that
    Prospective employee completes application and returns it to employer
    Then employer sits on it for a couple of weeks before forwarding it to vetting
    Vetting sometimes get it done in a couple of days and its returned to employer
    HR then doesn't spot it or spots it and ignores it (too busy, whatever) for another few weeks
    Politely try to persuade HR to check if it's been done at all

The delay is 100% the "fault" of the prospective employer but they won't admit that
    Prospective employee completes application and returns it to employer
    Then employer sits on it for a couple of weeks before forwarding it to vetting
    Vetting sometimes get it done in a couple of days and its returned to employer
    HR then doesn't spot it or spots it and ignores it (too busy, whatever) for another few weeks
    Politely try to persuade HR to check if it's been done at all

The fella in Hr is not helpful at all. The vetting is holding me up for the last stage. So stuck in no mans land till vetting comes back. Hr said they can't contact the vetting, I have to wait.

The fella in Hr is not helpful at all. The vetting is holding me up for the last stage. So stuck in no mans land till vetting comes back. Hr said they can't contact the vetting, I have to wait.

sounds like a lot of bull from him to be honest.. You should be able to bypass HR and talk to the authorised signatory directly.

sounds like a lot of bull from him to be honest.. You should be able to bypass HR and talk to the authorised signatory directly.

That's why I was hoping to contact vetting to see if he is lying. Some people are saying you can contact vetting as the information is about me.

That's why I was hoping to contact vetting to see if he is lying. Some people are saying you can contact vetting as the information is about me.

They don't deal with the general public as it is impossible for them to verify that it is you calling. Anyone could easily call in pretending to be you. They won't be able to tell you anything about your form. They will just tell you to get on to the authorised signatory of whatever organistaion that has your form.

A lot of HR people are still trying to get their heads around the whole Garda vetting process
    It's like being given yet another job to do and no extra recompense
    Very few companies sent HR staff for training either though the Gardai were more then happy to give training days
    Anyhoo. As someone else recommends I would go over his/ her head to try and find out what's happening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We do Garda vetting at work and it can take weeks to get them back. I've seen it take 6-8 weeks. It's often happened for them to get lost there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's like being given yet another job to do and no extra recompense

Hardly. It's just another type of reference checking: get prospective employee to fill out the form, send it to your organisation's contact for getting vetting done or direct to the guards if you are that contact. Wait for response. If the response comes soon enough and is ok according to your organisation's standards, proceed with the hiring process. If not, send a PFO.

_Brian wrote: »
    We do Garda vetting at work and it can take weeks to get them back. I've seen it take 6-8 weeks. It's often happened for them to get lost there too.

I'm sorry now but that is bull****.

Absolute bs.
    It's taking that length for the employer to sign off on, then it's out of sight out of mind until it becomes an issue for the employer
    Then it miraculously reappears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolute bs.
    It's taking that length for the employer to sign off on, then it's out of sight out of mind until it becomes an issue for the employer
    Then it miraculously reappears

Each to their own.. I'm telling it as we see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Most vetting comes back within 4ish weeks, some doesn't come back for 6+ weeks and sometimes it can be gone for months with the Vetting Unit. Delays can be due to someone in HR sitting on the form or it can be a legitimate delay with the Vetting Unit whilst enquiries are conducted. The Vetting Unit won't speak to an individual about their form.

Each to their own.. I'm telling it as we see it.

Are you actually the authorised signatory or do you gather them to send to the authorised signatory?

Advertisement