Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old wanting bottle during night

Options
  • 02-01-2015 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice here please. Our 15 month old is currently waking in the middle of the night looking for a bottle, screaming the place down actually, will then take upto an hour before going back to sleep in his mothers arms, he goes mental if we put him back in his room before he is asleep.
    Anyone else have experience with this ? I have read about self soothing etc but with him crying hysterically its very hard to leave him.

Please advice some very tired parents!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is it a bottle of milk he's looking for? If so, try replacing it with water and make sure he well fed and gets milk during the day. At 15 months it sounds like a habit, especially if he knows he'll get a bottle by screaming the place down. I wouldn't be a huge cry it out advocate in terms of the Ferber method, but I'd try to settle him back in his cot for a few minutes before returning to him, leaving it a minute before you go back in again, and a bit longer each time. It will probably take a few nights before he'll completely settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Would definitely agree with giving water rather than milk at night, especially at that age!

Would you consider bringing him into the bed with you when he wakes? He's still quite young, he might be just going through a phase where he needs company and comfort and security when he wakes alone at night.

Does he take a soother?

Advertisement