Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Passat, Opel Insignia or alternatives

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like the unit is a pup. I'd be contacting the dealer you bought it from and see what they will do about it mentioning that having Sat Nav was a big buying point for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭skerry

bazz26 wrote: »
    Sounds like the unit is a pup. I'd be contacting the dealer you bought it from and see what they will do about it mentioning that having Sat Nav was a big buying point for you.

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say. Surprised there's nowt online when I google the messages the unit is giving me, surely others have had issues with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭artheb

Not exactly your issue but procedure might be similar. You may only need to obtain the files.

golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3819

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am, driving the 2010 version of that. Good family car with a little bit of torque when needed. Nice big boot and great on long journeys. There are a couple of annoyances such as the elec tronic hand brake but no deal breakers. That said if I didn't have a baby I wouldn't have gone near this style of car. If you have no kids I would suggest something a little more exciting and stylish*

*I miss my Audi TT:(

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10382960/

I would suggest you avoid the opel insignia in as shown in the consumer show above.

artheb wrote: »
    Not exactly your issue but procedure might be similar. You may only need to obtain the files.

golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3819

Cheers, seems a different system but might try it if all else fails. Have emailed VW so they may or may not come back with something helpful. If may just need new maps installed but it's odd that there isn't even old maps on it.

On the plus side, I pressed the eject button on the CD player and it turns out I got a free Barry Manilow CD with the car so 'Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head' is currently my CC theme tune :)

• Advertisement

skerry wrote: »
    On the plus side, I pressed the eject button on the CD player and it turns out I got a free Barry Manilow CD with the car so 'Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head' is currently my CC theme tune :)

sounds priceless :)

Quick question re Tax. Hoping to get tax sorted with RF100 form tomorrow, but the form says that if I tax it online I pay tax from the beginning of the month the car was registered. This suggests to me that if I bring it in the the tax office I can get it taxed from the day I received the car (yesterday), but I only see space on the form for filling out Month and Year, no space for Day. Does this mean I have to pay tax on the car from the beginning of the month even though it wasn't even registered in my name (please say it isn't so)?

Quick question re Tax. Hoping to get tax sorted with RF100 form tomorrow, but the form says that if I tax it online I pay tax from the beginning of the month the car was registered. This suggests to me that if I bring it in the the tax office I can get it taxed from the day I received the car (yesterday), but I only see space on the form for filling out Month and Year, no space for Day. Does this mean I have to pay tax on the car from the beginning of the month even though it wasn't even registered in my name (please say it isn't so)?

Get a logbook sorted first. Once you receive a logbook with your name you will see the date of the ownership. You will need to pay the tax from the beginning of the month which logbook was issued on. So if you get ownership on the 20.03.15, you will need to pay for the full march anyway.

artheb wrote: »
    Get a logbook sorted first. Once you receive a logbook with your name you will see the date of the ownership. You will need to pay the tax from the beginning of the month which logbook was issued on. So if you get ownership on the 20.03.15, you will need to pay for the full march anyway.

I thought the process was that you tax it first then log book is sent out, I could be completely wrong on this though. The vehicle is registered in my name as of yesterday. I have an RF100 form here with my details and stating that I own the car.

Will give a bell to tax office tomorrow. Hate giving them a cent more than I have to, especially seeing as none of the money goes into repairing our abysmal roads.

I thought the process was that you tax it first then log book is sent out, I could be completely wrong on this though. The vehicle is registered in my name as of yesterday. I have an RF100 form here with my details and stating that I own the car.

Will give a bell to tax office tomorrow. Hate giving them a cent more than I have to, especially seeing as none of the money goes into repairing our abysmal roads.

I was buying a car at the end of July last year. Got a logbook in August. When I went to to the tax office I had to pay for whole July.

• Advertisement

Success, managed to acquire maps on a CD from a very helpful site on the net ;) Think it was one of the ones you linked in an earlier post artheb so thanks for that.

Popped CD into unit and it worked straight away. Just need to get an SD card now and I can transfer maps to that for handier storage.

Now if I could only get through to the tax office. Tried to ring to see about whether I have to get tax from beginning of the month or if I can avoid that by calling into the office as the writing on the form would suggest (not holding out much hope though but worth asking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My maps were stored on the head unit and I never used the cd player. If it were me I'd keep the maps on cd in the tray and keep the SD card for my tunes.

bazz26 wrote: »
    My maps were stored on the head unit and I never used the cd player. If it were me I'd keep the maps on cd in the tray and keep the SD card for my tunes.

It seems some tool wiped my maps so I'm not sure if there is a way to transfer maps to internal storage, must check it out. Just figured I could put all maps on one SD card instead of tooling around with CDs all the time (for all the times I do be driving around Europe and all :P).

Same tool seems to have kept my locknut so garage had to put new nuts on there and I know have no locknuts. Must try pick up some locknuts for it online, I presume they're specific to that wheel (or maybe not).

Must pick up a large SD card and maybe stick maps and tunes on there too. Thought there was a connection for a iPod lead thing in these but couldn't see one in mine, must be only on the higher spec ones.

Was also hoping to set up that nifty thing where the passenger mirror lowers to show the kerb when the car is put in reverse but that also seems to only be on the higher spec ones. Oh well, plenty gadgets to keep me going nonetheless.

Advertisement