Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Gloves

Options
  • 02-01-2015 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations lads? Water resistant and wind proof. I have £30 vouchers to use on wiggle so preferably something from that site and I can put more money towards them if needs be.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-estremo-winter-cycling-gloves/
    Was thinking of those if anyone has them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

down to 6/7 degrees with rain these would suffice: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-diluvio-deluxe-glove/

anything colder and you need to layer over the above gloves with something windproof as neoprene isn't windproof. maybe these on top of them (go a size of 2 up): http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-extreme-winter-glove/

could use the dhb-extreme-winter-glove for cold dry days then if it wasn't raining or just light showers/cold.

it's a dark art this cold hands /feet craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Radial

I have both the Castelli Estremo and diluvio neoprone gloves.

The Estremo are excellent in the cold right down to freezing and will stand up to a shower, but not sustained rain in Winter. Hands get soaked and freeze. As the previous poster said the diluvio are useless below about 6 degrees.

I haven't yet cracked the problem of keeping my hands warm in heavy rain in really cold conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

My sealskinz ultra grips are fine in dry weather and even some light rain. The weather however on St Stephens Day saw me get soaked after about 45 minutes and my hands were like ice cubes when I got home. I've opted to wear some dispoable gloves under them now and it seems to work well by keeping the water out and my maintaining heat.

They do however take some time to dry so I've started to place them on top of the berco in work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Radial wrote: »
    I have both the Castelli Estremo and diluvio neoprone gloves.

The Estremo are excellent in the cold right down to freezing and will stand up to a shower, but not sustained rain in Winter. Hands get soaked and freeze. As the previous poster said the diluvio are useless below about 6 degrees.

I haven't yet cracked the problem of keeping my hands warm in heavy rain in really cold conditions.

Any advice on the size of these. The size guide says I'm a medium (fitting in at the low to mid end of medium), but I keep seeing reviews saying castelli run small. So I'm torn between medium and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I've got these ones and they are fantastic but take ages to dry out (water rolls down the sleeve and into the glove itself. , http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-all-weather-xp-cycle-gloves/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll be honest, I'd save the wiggle voucher for something else and buy some Lidl/Aldi gloves (Lidl still have some in stock in some stores).

I cycle year round with an almost 40km commute to and from work and have been using a pair six or seven years now and have just recently bought a new pair in Lidl as I'm aware that my present gloves are getting old and won't last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just like Shoe Covers, the big problem with Gloves is they have a big hole in them! My suggestion is, Buy TWO pair of gloves.

When you go out for a spin, if its raining, change your gloves at the 1/2 way point (don't wait until your hands are too cold).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I use Extremities Tuff Bags
    https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/socks-gloves-mitts-hats-c151/mitts-c153/tuff-bags-gore-tex-paclite-overmitts-p878

.....and any Merino fingered glove underneath.

Waterproof, layered and effective.

I use Neoprene gloves. They are very good when its really cold.

They take an age to warm up!(Your hands will be numb with the cold first, before they eventually warm up) but once warm they work well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-glove-aw16/rp-prod122886

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

07Lapierre wrote: »

They take an age to warm up!(Your hands will be numb with the cold first, before they eventually warm up) but once warm they work well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/castelli-diluvio-glove-aw16/rp-prod122886

Takes a while to get used to wet wrinkly hands when you remove the gloves though! Toasty warm so worth the odd looks when your tipping water out of your gloves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Aldi's skiing gloves work really well as winter cycling gloves. Aldi usually have a range of skiing gloves, I think the ones I bought were mid-range. Can't remember the price but I think it was in the €15-20 bracket. They keep the hands warm even when wet, which is the main thing I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Over the last three winters I have found these Gloves from West Biking store on Aliexpress to be the business.

On a decent long winter cycle your hands/fingers don't end up looking like dried out plums, ala when you spend too long in the bath/shower... if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

07Lapierre wrote: »

Put them on the radiator before you leave the house (assuming you have the heating on!). I do this with my motorbikr gloves, makes a big difference.

terrydel wrote: »
    Put them on the radiator before you leave the house (assuming you have the heating on!). I do this with my motorbikr gloves, makes a big difference.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I have surfer neoprene gloves for really wet cold days. And surfer neoprene socks/booties. Just resign yourself that you are gonna get wet and stay warm.
    Picked up a pair of Galibier deep winter gloves http://galibier.cc/product/tempest/
    and reckon they are one the best cold dry weather gloves I have worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I suffer from cold hands. I find the DHB Extreme Winter gloves brilliant. Anything below 3C and I use liners but my hands stay warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

I got a pair of those diluvio gloves winter before last. Seams gave way between the fingers after about 4 weeks. Wouldn't recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

koutoubia wrote: »
    I have surfer neoprene gloves for really wet cold days. And surfer neoprene socks/booties. Just resign yourself that you are gonna get wet and stay warm.
    Picked up a pair of Galibier deep winter gloves http://galibier.cc/product/tempest/
    and reckon they are one the best cold dry weather gloves I have worn.

I've the Galibier Barrier 2 and like crosstownk I also suffer with cold hands. These are great for keeping warm. You do sweat in them a lot and they aren't very waterproof, but they're brilliant on cold days. I wore them in below 4 degrees at the start of the year and my hands never suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've got these ones and they are fantastic but take ages to dry out (water rolls down the sleeve and into the glove itself. , http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-all-weather-xp-cycle-gloves/

Try putting your sleeve outside the glove. Won't prevent all of the rain but will reduce it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

When cycling you'll lose heat externally due to convection due to airflow and water if raining. Gloves help to limit those losses.

If you have metal bars, you'll also lose heat through conduction; using thicker bar tape with poor conductivity will help with those losses.

Pedalling harder is probably best thing you can do on other side of equation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

ford2600 wrote: »
    Pedalling harder is probably best thing you can do on other side of equation

And wear a warm jacket, jersey, base layer combination. If you can keep your core warm, the extremities seem to suffer less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have 3 different pairs of long fingered gloves, all bought in either Aldi or Lidl. I'm currently using the lightest pair and they're good to about 7 or 8 degrees. The next pair are thicker and are usually good to about 3 or 4 degrees and the thickest pair are waterproof and windproof and are suitable for anything lower.

If its very wet then I bring thin latex disposable gloves and wear them under what ever gloves I'm wearing. Generally if its very wet I don't spend too long on the bike and so have never experienced any extreme cold extremities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I was out for about 45k earlier in a fresh six degrees. My hands were kept nice and toasty in a pair of galibier winter gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Hauki wrote: »

Yep I have two pairs of them and love them. Really warm through the coldest weather. They do give you that wrinkled finger feeling but I can live with that. They are quite tight too so maybe try before you buy. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I brought my full winter gloves into work this morning, in my backpack. Mainly because i saw them on teh kitchen island and figured one of the kids was planning on nicking them. They have plenty of gloves in the drawer without needing to take my cycling ones. I used my usual "semi winter" ones which were grand though certainly not "toasty".

Anyway this thread has convinced me to wear the fullwinter gloves on my way home, about to leave now.

lachin wrote: »
    Hope people don't mind if I chip in here. Went out wed morning at 9 for a quick 70ker. Until km10 my fingers were frozen..really frozen. I had aldi mitts on and gloves from wiggle...not sure of brand.
    I'm now on antibiotics for my glands and suffering with horrible fever and chills...doc putting it down to getting cold.
    So if anyone can give me the name of a seriously good pair from now on in I'd be most grateful!

http://galibier.cc/product/tempest/

Wore these last Monday for the first time this winter. Brilliantly warm and toasty dry weather cold gloves at a brilliant price.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Not doubting the galibre gloves but is it a bit too early to give them a true test.Last Monday was a lovely day as well with no cold.

My pinkies disagree with your assessment of last Monday :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

If anyone fancies a cheaper option I picked up a pair of thin training gloves in pennys today for 4 quid and wore then under my other gloves on the cycle home. Nice and toasty even in that rain that hit around the 5 mark this evening which was fecking cold!

Advertisement