Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Way too nervous about the Junior Cert

Options
  • 02-01-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in 3rd year right now and as you know I will be taking the exam in June. I am under a lot of pressure to do well for a variety of reasons. The first being is that in every set of exams that I've ever down, the worst that I've ever done is 9 A's out of 11. In my last set of exams (end of November) I got 10 A's out of 11 and I got one B in English. I have started going to grinds and I have been reading and practising a lot. I am fairly confident that I can do well in the Junior Cert but I am way too nervous and I don't know what to do about it. So, my questions are should I be as nervous as I am, how hard is to get an A in English for the JC and how can I reduce all this stress? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

So, my questions are (1)should I be as nervous as I am, (2)how hard is to get an A in English for the JC and (3)how can I reduce all this stress?

(1) Lots of students feel stressed about the Junior Cert because, as you point out, it's the first 'major' set of exams you will undertake. With hindsight, should you be nervous? No. In real terms, that's not a very helpful piece of knowledge though, because knowing you 'shouldn't' feel nervous probably isn't going to reduce your stress levels! Logically, as a very good student (evident from your consistently high marks in exams) you have absolutely nothing to worry about: you will get very good results in your Junior Cert. The exams are set out and corrected in such a way as to award you as many marks as possible.

(2) As long as you practice your writing, know how the papers are laid out and know your texts very well, as an existing A/B student you should have no problem getting an A or B in English.

(3) You can reduce stress by making sure that preparing for the Junior Cert isn't the only thing happening in your life. The most important thing is to do all your homework every night and to listen in class. I'm guessing you do this anyway but you would be amazed by the number of good students who decide to do a total turnaround, believing that their own study system is more important than following the work set for them in school. Have a structured revision plan for each subject, timetable yourself a bit to include chill out time, time with family and friends etc as well as ensuring you cover every bit of every subject course.

You say you are under pressure to do well. I understand what you say about needing to live up to your previous 'record' of attaining well in exams, but don't get too hung up on that! Believe me when I say, in years to come you won't remember your Junior Cert results and neither will anyone else.

Also, I did well in my own Junior Cert (a million years ago) but I did better in most subjects in the Leaving Cert. The Junior Cert is really, really not the be all and end all (and nor is the Leaving Cert!).

Edited to say, don't forget to use paragraphs: an excellent structure will really stand to you when it comes to collecting as many marks as possible! (I understand that your post above more than likely isn't how you would structure an exam answer but it's a point worth remembering!)

Best of luck with it all :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Look at the statistics: https://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r14
    In many subjects, 40% or more of those who sit the HL paper get an A or a B. Your results point towards many As in your exams, but really, it's not the end of the world if you miss one. In two years' time, no one will remember or care what you got (sorry, but it's true).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's definitely possible for you to get all As. I'm not an English teacher, so I can't advise re that, sorry, but I'm sure your English teacher will know. Which sections are you not scoring highly on?

haiyna wrote: »
    Well, our English teacher only joined us in September and she used to teach in Scotland or England. The way she marks is extremely harsh and she is a really bad teacher because when I ask her where I lost the marks, she doesn't really have a justifiable answer. Plus, I got an A in our previous exam and that was with a teacher who has been correcting Junior and Leaving Cert exams for years now, and I don't think I could've dropped by such a large amount in such a little time. Anyway, my English needs to improve so the areas that I weren't scoring high in were things such as comprehensions or where you have to read something and answer the questions. My prepared poetry, drama and novel are fine as I make sure that I have learned all the quotes that I need. I just need to improve in general, like structuring essays, developing answers, it's just things in general.

I would be more inclined to go with the assessment of the teacher who has correcting experience. You have the ability. Perhaps the new teacher's different style might address the small gaps you still have. Don't worry about it anyway. It's a lot better to be a developing student in English and get a B at JC and work towards a fully rounded A at LC as you mature.

Advertisement