Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venting bathroom extractor fan throught old soil pipe vent

Options
  • 02-01-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, how are you?

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve noticed some black marks on the ceiling above the shower and want to try and resolve the problem before it gets any worse. At the moment we just open the window during showers and leave it open for a few minutes after the shower until the steam clears.

There is currently no fan or vent in the bathroom. Directly above the bathroom is the attic.

When I moved into the house the soil pipe went through the kitchen and bathroom and was vented through a tile in the roof. I’ve since moved the soil pipe outside.

I’m wondering what my best option would be.

1) Should I put an extractor in the corner above the W.C which is the corner diagonally across from where the shower is) and connect it into in to the old soil pipe vent which is directly above in the attic in a roof tile but no longer in use. This would be the shortest run of ducting with no turns.

2) Or should I put an extractor directly above the shower and run flexible ducting 5 meters through the attic and connect it to the old redundant soil pipe vent in the attic.

It’s also not possible to get the ducting to the soffits and facia. The bathroom is 2.4 X 2.4 X 2.4m

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Colm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

In theory, the ducting should be kept insulated to prevent water vapour condensing inside. But it's not often done, and people get away without it.

So keep the outlet duct as short, and as much vertical as possible. The space in the bathroom isn't big, a fan won't really have any problem wherever its located.
    If you are really concerned about it, the room inlet air is just as important in the grand scheme of things.

The bigger elephant is the background air flow(fan not operating). Warm air likes to rise, and all your heat goes up an open pipe very quickly.

Advertisement