Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for American planning a trip to Leitrim?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,
    My sister and I are thinking of a trip to see Leitrim, perhaps next summer. We are hoping to see Dromod and Drumshanbo, where our great grandparents lived. I'd be grateful to get some advice on places to stay, as well as particular recommendations as to things to see/visit.

We are both pushing 60 (from one side or the other) and on the quiet side, but also take a joke pretty well. Any suggestions/advice for the trip would be welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

clearbrook wrote: »
    Hello,
    My sister and I are thinking of a trip to see Leitrim, perhaps next summer. We are hoping to see Dromod and Drumshanbo, where our great grandparents lived. I'd be grateful to get some advice on places to stay, as well as particular recommendations as to things to see/visit.

We are both pushing 60 (from one side or the other) and on the quiet side, but also take a joke pretty well. Any suggestions/advice for the trip would be welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to boards and indeed welcome to Ireland, if you decide to visit. leitrim, being one of the smallest and less populated counties in Ireland is not a popular destination as many prefer to take in the more popular attractions like Dublin, Cork and Kerry. It's important so to plan ahead to make the most of your time here. Given the central location of Leitrim, it's an ideal place to base yourselves as there's so much within a short for drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Carrick on Shandon would be well worth a visit and more or less has everything you'd need on your doorstep. It'd be only a few miles by car to Drumshanbo and Dromod also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Hire a boat in Carrick on Shannon and cruise to Drumshanbo. A nice quiet way to spend a few days. https://www.cruise-ireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

Thank you all for the welcome and the suggestions! Yes, I see that Carrick-on-Shannon would be a good location for us. It seems that there is a train from Dublin to Carrick on Shannon, if I'm reading correctly. Does it make sense to take that and rent a car locally, or better to rent one in Dublin and drive on? I'm a little nervous, never having driven on the opposite side of the road before.

The idea of renting a boat and cruising on the river is delightful, Whoisthis! But I think we may save that for a later visit when we might have another person with us. The last time my sister & I piloted a boat, I was 7 and she was 16. That adventure ended with one of our brothers having to swim from shore to fetch us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

If I were you, I'd rent a car at the airport and drive to Carrick-on-Shannon; I would doubt very much there's anywhere in or reasonably near Carrick-on-Shannon to rent one.

The main motorway by the airport is called the M50, and it's easy to find, just take it handy if you're nervous. You need to go southbound (which is signposted) and take the exit for the N4/M4 Sligo/Galway motorway. Once you're on that, it's straight the whole way, for about 1.5 to 2 hours, right into the centre of Carrick-On-Shannon. The roads are pretty well signposted in Ireland, so don't worry too much, and you'll adjust easily enough to to driving on the opposite side of the road!

If you choose to drive, we have an unusual tollbridge on the M50 that you will need to pass through, that requires you to remember to pay the toll in a shop or online any time up until 8pm the following day. More details here.

As far as attractions go, Drumshanbo hosts a traditional Irish music festival type event in the 3rd week of July every year, which is apparently good fun.

Keep an eye on this website too for upcoming events- I know theres a big foodie festival in Carrick-on-Shannon every summer but I can remember when.

If you're thinking of going when there's a festival on, make sure you book accommodation well in advance because there can be very high demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

What he said !

I'd agree Carrick on Shannon is a very very popular tourist place in the summer, if you give a bit more info ast to where and what you might like to do it might be better.
    Dromod is a lovely wee village and indeed a good base if self catering in a holiday home, probably better than drumshanbo.
    Just ask and we can advise better.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Reader1937

The beauty of Leitrim is also accessible from the North side - if you take the train from Carrick to Sligo at some stage in your trip you can take the waterbus across Lough Gill to Parkes Castle - imho a much nicer boat ride than along the Shannon. There is also the Arigna experience, Fenagh for Archaeology is hard bet, second smallest church in the world in Carrick - loads, in a word. The hotel in Drumshambo has received some brief global mention recently which may swamp internet searches but I have heard it is a good place to stay. Late May time of year is usually a good bet for some fine weather - some anyway. Taking your time when driving is - as already posted - the key to driving. Don't get flustered and you'll be grand. I have done similar when abroad and its better to look at driving as part of the adventure than a means to getting to the adventure. Best of luck to you both and safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I would suggest flying in to Dublin, and get the train from there to Sligo. Car hire is available there no problem, google car hire in Sligo to get an idea of the cost.

Then you will be driving in relatively rural areas without too much traffic. It is a beautiful drive from Sligo to a place called Manorhamilton, with Ben Bulben mountain on your left as you drive. From there is about 45 minutes through beautiful countryside and the shores of Lough Allen to Drumshambo.

From there it's a short drive to Carrick on Shannon where you could base yourself, fine town, plenty to see and do. Then drive to Dromod. It's a short enough journey.

Drop the car back to Carrick on Shannon and get the train back to Dublin!

Sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

moonshadow wrote: »
    What he said!

She ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 clearbrook

Thank you once again to everyone. The suggestions, including the website links and the information about the toll, are invaluable. The usual guidebooks, such as Frommer's & Fodor's, that we get over here skip Leitrim almost entirely, so input from people who know the area is extremely helpful. I need to speak further with my sister as to timing, but you've given me a great start on the planning!

We are both very interested in historical things, and would like to see the area our family came from without being intrusive about it. I did find the Leitrim Tourism website, which gives more information than their facebook page, so that will also be a big help.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

Firstly hello and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Click on this link to Fenagh Visitor Centre http://www.fenagh.com/

Follow the Fenagh History link to get an idea of some of out local history.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

Hi,

1. If you get confused at any stage while driving, remember the rule "PASSENGER TO THE DITCH". This should get you back to the correct side of the road.

and

2. Bring a SatNav with maps of the country, that will be a great help.

If you visit Ireland, have a great holiday.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Reconsider renting a boat, otherwise when you get there you will eat your heart out with envy! It's the holiday that comes with a built in 'friend' kit, in the next village, the next marina, the next pub lunch. And of course we sail on the right side of the river!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 satyrios

Leitrim village is about 7 minutes' drive from Carrick-on-Shannon, Drumshanbo's about 15, and you might investigate Enterprise Rent-a-Car -- there's no obvious car rental places around Carrick but I've seen their van about. Remember that roads in rural Ireland can be pretty rough compared to most of the roads in the US and the speed limits are generally higher than you'd expect, so you'll want to plan on a bit of practice driving somewhere you won't ditch the car.

Try the Oarsman pub in Carrick, very good craft/local beer and the food's amazing. There's also several hotels -- the Bush and the Landmark are both well-located by the river. You might also plan to visit Boyle (Co. Roscommon), also about 15 minutes' drive from Carrick, where they film "Moone Boy" (if you're into that sort of thing) and Lough Key Forest Park (which has not only a forest, but other attractions).

There's a lot of tourism in the area during the warm season, so there's often smaller events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

The Ballinamore Festival Will take place from 9th-16th August this year.

https://www.facebook.com/ballinamorefestival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I would suggest flying in to Dublin, and get the train from there to Sligo. Car hire is available there no problem, google car hire in Sligo to get an idea of the cost.

Then you will be driving in relatively rural areas without too much traffic. It is a beautiful drive from Sligo to a place called Manorhamilton, with Ben Bulben mountain on your left as you drive. From there is about 45 minutes through beautiful countryside and the shores of Lough Allen to Drumshambo.

From there it's a short drive to Carrick on Shannon where you could base yourself, fine town, plenty to see and do. Then drive to Dromod. It's a short enough journey.

Drop the car back to Carrick on Shannon and get the train back to Dublin!

Sounds like a great trip, hope you enjoy it.

where would you drop the car back to in Carrick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

July is a great time to be around Drumshanbo, with the Joe Mooney Summer School in full swing. Plenty of great music in all the pubs.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055716814

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

If you like the bit of music, the all ireland fleadh ( irish music festival) is on in neighboring sligo in august!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

You may already have made your arrangements but if not you will not do better than staying in Warren Lodge, Dromod. Lovely accomodation, nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The car rental places in Sligo used to rent to people on the cruisers. I presume they still do. There'd be an extra charge but they used to arrange a time to drop off the car and do the paperwork at the various marinas, even up in Fermanagh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement