Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying camera with dust on sensor

• 02-01-2015 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

So ive decided take plunge into amateur photography and have a camera etc decided on, however from looking online there are various available, some have high shutter count and worn in ok condition however company states sensor is free from dust, marks and scratches, then there is same model camera with low shutter count in excellent condition however it states light dust on sensor visible at f22, would this even be something for a newbie for me to concerned about or should i trade off a little wear for a dust free sensor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Dust is always present in the DSLR world unfortunately. Usually a few dust spots are visible when you take photos at f22. It is not the end of the world. DML in Dublin will wet clean a sensor for €25
    http://www.dml.ie/emerchantpro/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=53&adminPreview=1
    They also sell sensor cleaning kits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,046 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'd be wary of that simply due to the fact that a company trading cameras should have the not considerable technical ability to clean a sensor. So they either can't or won't clean it, which sounds odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I'd be wary of that simply due to the fact that a company trading cameras should have the not considerable technical ability to clean a sensor. So they either can't or won't clean it, which sounds odd.
    You may have a point there.... it would be interesting to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

thats a very valid point alright i never thought of it, its wex photographic if anyone has had any dealings with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Unless they changed their policy again (and I really do hope they change it) they no longer ship to Ireland.

I have bought second hand lenses and bodies from wex and they are usually very upfront about the condition of their second hand gear, for instance this is on one of the 20D descriptions
    two stubborn spots that won’t clean off this starts effecting images faintly around f8
    so i would assume that they have tried to clean the dust (it could be grease or something else) and could not remove it.

• Advertisement

Unless they changed their policy again (and I really do hope they change it) they no longer ship to Ireland.

I have bought second hand lenses and bodies from wex and they are usually very upfront about the condition of their second hand gear, for instance this is on one of the 20D descriptions so i would assume that they have tried to clean the dust (it could be grease or something else) and could not remove it.

im lucky enough and have use of a northern address they are very competative in their pricing

decided against the camera with dust on sensor, hung on abit longer and got a nikon d300 used with 9 month warrenty clean sensor and 17k actuations from digitaldepot.co.uk for £189 in used january sale, orignally was looking at a d90 for £199 from wex photographic, they are advanced for a newbie like me but i always like to jump in at deep end, no doubt plenty of questions to follow on this forum in coming weeks:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Silva360

The D300 is a very fine DX camera for the price you paid and I'm sure you'll get loads of good use from it. I have used this camera in the past so can probably answer a few questions that you might have.....

Advertisement