Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filter for a Nano Tank

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I closed down my large 300L marine sump tank over two years ago and I was playing with the idea of setting up a small nano tank beside my workstation at home.

I have a 36L Blau tank here with an overflow filter but the noise is a bit much and I cant seem to source replacement filter media. I was thinking about getting one of those Fluval all in one units but im not sure how much noisier they are? Ideally im looking for a tank or filter thats as noiseless as possible and then Ill build the livestock around that. To be honest im thinking of a small number of Tetra or possibly a Betta.

Ive bought JBL internal filters before and they are far too large and constantly fall off the wall and also Eheim external cannisters but they are too large for the small tank.

I was up in Seahorse and they seem limited in their selection of filters for smaller tanks.

Anyone have any advice?

Cheers
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

You can get smaller externals, such as the fluval 105 which is designed for small aquariums. It's hard to get a good internal filter that won't be too bulky or will take up space in the aquarium.

Have a look online, hob filters can be ok but again they can be bulky and may ruin a slimline look.

I personally would look for a small external, you can get them for nanos as some people who do pico and nano reefs (never mind freshwater) use them as both filtration, sump and refugem.

I would look more into the external aspect, I really would.

Eheim have a Aqua compac range, which is a small external canister that does 20-60l aquariums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Elite Stingrays are good, go for the singray 10, theyre wide but slim. They are a good quiet filter with a great pump.

Only prob Is they are very hard to get and from memory are discontinued. You can still get media for them however in most petshops.
    I would look online at ebay if you want to go down this route as shops will find it difficult to get one in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for that. Yeah I came across the Eheim small external filter as well and it looks like the best of the bunch. You are right an internal filter would take up a large chunk of the tank.

Advertisement