Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for courses as a "mature student"

Options
  • 02-01-2015 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I'm planning on returning to full-time education later this year and I'm a little confused about the application process for me.
    I guess first of all I need to clarify that I am 30 and already completed my leaving cert thirteen years ago, and also have an arts degree on top of that.
    My question is do I have to apply as a "mature student" due to my age or can I apply through the cao based purely on my leaving cert results ( which would be enough to secure a place in the course I wish to apply for). It seems going down the mature route is a longer-winded process and is based more on life experience and such, while I would prefer just to use my leaving results if possible.
    Any help on this would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I'm in the same boat, I turned 23 before Christmas and have the points to do the course I want, but it wants statements and references etc. I think it said you'll be judged on your results regardless, but I might call them and see what's up, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

When you apply you put down your LC points and then tick a box for mature and the other sections open up. You get offered any course you are eligible for, be it based solely on LC points or through the mature route. You can go down only the LC routs but you will be narrowing down your options. You will only get one offer though so list in order of preference.

Advertisement