Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting LG soundbar to DVD player

• 02-01-2015 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi - wonder can anyone help with the below?

Bought a new LG 42" TV last week. I also had an LG Home Theatre system however because the new TV has no headphone jack connection I was unable to get the sound from the home theatre system through the TV. I was told it's an older model and there's no way of getting the analogue signal from the home theatre system through the digital connections on the TV. I tried connecting with the red/white leads but no luck.

Anyway I bought an LG sound bar today which I connected with an optical cable, which is working fine.
    I've disconnected all the speakers and have kept the old home theatre receiver in order to just use the DVD player. I was told in the shop that I would be able to get the sound through the soundbar with the receiver being connected to the TV with the scart cable, and then the optical cable being connected to the sound bar. However I've hooked it up this evening but no sound. Even if I turn off the soundbar and switch to the TV speakers there's no sound, which makes me think it won't work without the speakers being attached.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might work or will I just have to buy a new DVD player?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

kwat wrote: »
    Hi - wonder can anyone help with the below?

Bought a new LG 42" TV last week. I also had an LG Home Theatre system however because the new TV has no headphone jack connection I was unable to get the sound from the home theatre system through the TV. I was told it's an older model and there's no way of getting the analogue signal from the home theatre system through the digital connections on the TV. I tried connecting with the red/white leads but no luck.

Anyway I bought an LG sound bar today which I connected with an optical cable, which is working fine.
    I've disconnected all the speakers and have kept the old home theatre receiver in order to just use the DVD player. I was told in the shop that I would be able to get the sound through the soundbar with the receiver being connected to the TV with the scart cable, and then the optical cable being connected to the sound bar. However I've hooked it up this evening but no sound. Even if I turn off the soundbar and switch to the TV speakers there's no sound, which makes me think it won't work without the speakers being attached.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might work or will I just have to buy a new DVD player?

Thanks

Yes unfortunately it's a new Blue Ray/Dvd player ( don't do your TV the disservice or not buying a Bluray player ). Your old HTS would have taken the sound out of the movie and into the speakers leaving only picture for the TV to receive.

>Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭kwat

Thanks for that - new DVD/Bluray player it is so.

Advertisement