Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling better when bluesy

• 02-01-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

When feeling really down or just depressed about things you can't change, what are some things you do to make yourself feel better?
    I am on anti depressants and normally feel fine in general, but sometimes it all gets a little too much and I just can't shake that sad feeling. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I like like to burn things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Happy meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

You need to be fixing to catch you a train if that hellbound on your trail.

Oh wait, the other bluesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I go for a walk or swim and remind mysf I'll feel better tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Get out of the house even if you don't feel like it. It doesn't have to be exercise, just go for a wander in the shops or to the cinema. Also, as much daylight as possible always helps especially at this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Boring answer that you've probably heard before but is generally true: Go for a run / jog / cycle. Get yourself out of breath somehow, it clears the head and releases those lovely, delicious endorphins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I sing that Life of Brian song...

"Always look on the bright side of life"......

.....never fails......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

sinead321 wrote: »
    When feeling really down or just depressed about things you can't change, what are some things you do to make yourself feel better?
    I am on anti depressants and normally feel fine in general, but sometimes it all gets a little too much and I just can't shake that sad feeling. Any suggestions?

Hi,
    AH is the wrong place so ill try to be helpful ..

As mentioned get out of the house - even if just for a minute or 2 to feel the wind on your face - it has an immediate effect of cheering you up.

Also bear in mind what time of year it is - quite normal to feel this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Exercise, especially swimming for some reason, the water is calming or summat

But on the other hand, at this time of year, daylight is great: but there's no outdoor swimming unless you are a hardier man than me.

I walk along the beach during morning or not long after noon, with my specs off.

Years ago when I had a very bad episode, I wrote out a 12-point-plan-against-depression which was a slightly mad thing to do but it amuses me when I find the little cards around the place, even to this day. You will have to beg me, to find out what's so funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Go outside. If you're in Dublin head to city centre and walk find yourself a nice bridge to sit on. Sit there for a few hours....even better if you stay overnight.

After that, go home. You'll be damn happy to be home....or you'll save a lot of money when you realize you don't need a house.

Either way, you'll have a reason to be happy. A new appreciation for what you have, or rent-free living!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Steely Dan already replied

"Any Major Dude Will Tell You"

Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend
    Any minor world that breaks apart falls together again
    When the demon is at your door
    In the morning it won't be there no more
    Any major dude will tell you

I usually google the sounds of babies laughing. Love that sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Lock all doors and windows. Close all the curtains. Turn off the phone and laptop/computer and put on some savage music and have a one man/woman concert for an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

sinead321 wrote: »

Hi, just to echo what the_monkey said After Hours isn't the place for this.

You will get better feedback in Personal Issues. A friend of mine managed his depression with medication but finds exercise (running and cycling in his case) help s a lot.

A cliche really, but a good hobby can help too something that you're passionate about.

Fresh air, good healthy food and good friendships where you can confide will help also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

UCDVet wrote: »
    Go outside. If you're in Dublin head to city centre and walk find yourself a nice bridge to sit on.

I had no idea where you were going with this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Go for a walk. The odd time I walk through Dublin City Center at night. Dunno why but when I see junkies strung out or begging, people fighting, drunks falling around, gardaí arresting people and all sorts I tend to feel better about my own worries.

I also like walking around ports and beaches with shipping lanes going past them (Bull Island for example). I just like looking at ships. :o

Or else try to think of the most radical thing you could do to shake things up. Like texting someone you fancied but never went for (even if you haven't spoke in years) or see which city you could go to for two days for the cheapest possible price using Ryanair and just book it. First flight out to Paris, one night in a hotel then last flight back next day!

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Go for a walk. The odd time I walk through Dublin City Center at night. Dunno why but when I see junkies strung out or begging, people fighting, drunks falling around, gardaí arresting people and all sorts I tend to feel better about my own worries.

I also like walking around ports and beaches with shipping lanes going past them (Bull Island for example). I just like looking at ships. :o

Or else try to think of the most radical thing you could do to shake things up. Like texting someone you fancied but never went for (even if you haven't spoke in years) or see which city you could go to for two days for the cheapest possible price using Ryanair and just book it. First flight out to Paris, one night in a hotel then last flight back next day!

I'm gonna be honest dude, none of this is really great advice. Not everyone has the money to spontaneously leave the country and walking through Dublin city center at night is a recipe for disaster. Ships are cool though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm gonna be honest dude, none of this is really great advice. Not everyone has the money to spontaneously leave the country and walking through Dublin city center at night is a recipe for disaster. Ships are cool though.

Better than "cheer up" anyways.

Were just ideas. A lot of people could afford €250 to book a flight+room in advance and feck off for two days. Something to look forward to. If OP doesn't have it then he/she doesn't have it.

Even a day trip to London can be fun if done right and can cost less than €100 including both flights, other travel, a meal and one or two main attractions. Have done it myself in the past with my brother for the craic.

A lot better than wallowing which I've been guilty of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

When you're snowed under you're not in a position to come up with a solution/good responses.

Ever hear of inventors saying 'fvck this' then they drop their problem FULLY, go for a walk and then they unexpectedly get their flash of inspiration when their mind is clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I like singing even though I'm not really any good at it. I don't mean just singing along to the radio. Download an app or some singing lessons online and have a proper go at it. Breathing techniques, scales and eventually practicing songs I find it all very uplifting. Pick a song you love and learn it inside out till you can sing it in your sleep. You'll always have a party piece then too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Watch a tv show you know your gonna love and make you laugh, even if you watched it a million times before. Its fawlty towers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

this thread would be better off in "personal issues" forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

I do all sorts.
    distraction is the most common. Anything safe.

Important thing is to try and find out why I'm feeling bad, there is often a trigger, sometimes the smallest things. Find out why and change it.
    If I cant change it, accept it and put it away (the thought, imagine folding it and putting it away.)

I'm also learning to "stay in the moment", that is very very difficult. ridiculously difficult.
    but staying in the moment rather than your mind, can improve mood.

change negative thoughts to positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Have a long hot shower, get some fresh comfortable clothes on and go for a nice long walk. Getting out of the house is a must for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

And chocolate, of course. Even booze, with common sense, can be a mood lifter. And some friends are so cheering and comforting, they are a tonic.
    The one thing to NOT do, is, anything or anyone that is known to be a bit of a downer. Stay away from messy people or unpleasant things. Walk on the sunny side of the street for a while.
    Hopes you feel better soon! What a great bunch we are on After Hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Have a long hot shower, get some fresh comfortable clothes on and go for a nice long walk. Getting out of the house is a must for me.

Was just about to post have a long bath. Wash your hair properly exfoliate your skin and get into comfy clean clothes or PJs- makes you feel way better

katemarch wrote: »
    And chocolate, of course. Even booze, with common sense, can be a mood lifter. And some friends are so cheering and comforting, they are a tonic.
    The one thing to NOT do, is, anything or anyone that is known to be a bit of a downer. Stay away from messy people or unpleasant things. Walk on the sunny side of the street for a while.
    Hopes you feel better soon! What a great bunch we are on After Hours!

Dangerous route to go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Going for a walk seems to be a common theme. Don't know why, but for some reason, can't for the life of me ever imagine myself going for a walk if in a funk. Can't see how going out for a walk and being plunged-into / lost in your own thoughts further could be of any help?!? Would it not make ya worse?!? Have to say I do feel good after a nice brisk walk strolling along listening to some music alright but I think I'd have to have been in somewhat of a motivated / uplifting mood before I went. If it were me I'd probably just put on some good tunes or something. Or Fawlty Towers as somebody else has mentionned. It never gets old i.m.o. Hyacinth Bucket and her family is another one! Loads of episodes of it on Youtube. Or just anything with Outtakes / Bloopers, always good for a laugh. Just find something funny.

Advertisement