Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazilian Ronaldo Names His Best XI of All-Time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Way too attacking, no balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What, no Gerrard?

Big slip up there. Whooops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where's Heskey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Now is that Cafu or the Scouse Cafu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

No Gary Breen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I have never heard of the keeper

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

me and a friend are still playing Pro Evo 6 on the PS2 (f**k the new ones!) We have unlocked everything and made classic players which aren't on the game (Liam Brady!) and such and this looks exactly like one of our teams.
    "sure theres Cruyff and maradonna on the wings with Pele and Di Stefano up front". The only difference is he doesn't have Frank Rijkaard who is hands down the most bullsh1t player in the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Pfff Jordi Cruyff wasn't that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Should have picked himself.....legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Not a fan of all-time teams, Ronaldo has players there that finished playing before he was born; I just find that a bit odd, unless he has sat through thousands of hours of footage...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Not a fan of all-time teams, Ronaldo has players there that finished playing before he was born; I just find that a bit odd, unless he has sat through thousands of hours of footage...

How else do you think he got so fat? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

Do you sit through hours of footage before you decide how good or bad a player is???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Fudge You wrote: »
    Do you sit through hours of footage before you decide how good or bad a player is???

Well kind of yeah...
    I can say a player looks good or bad after seeing a few games but I wouldn't be bigging them up or writing them off unless I've actually seen them play a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,855 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How else do you think he got so fat? :pac:

busy inventing the Anderson diet ?

Mega sill attacking side all be legends of the game one and all.. also prefer when these lists include players who would either have played with or against or at least been of the same generation as them for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

What, no Irish players at all?

What, no Irish players at all?

zinedine kilbane in cm

zinedine kilbane in cm

Ah yes

And Wessi Houlahan top of the right

Ah yes

And Wessi Houlahan top of the right

Paulo MacShani LCB as well?

Paulo MacShani LCB as well?

Don't forget that creative force Greeninho in midfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

should have at least one John O'Shea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Cruyff ahead of the other Ronaldo is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

CSF wrote: »

Not at all.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Cafu in a back three?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is that a joke? I'm not saying one is better than the other but Cruyff being ahead of anyone, in anyone's all time XI is not laughable. You swear he'd picked Harry Kewell or someone with that reaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cournioni wrote: »
    Cafu in a back three?!

Cafu at all is laughable. I like my fullbacks to be able to defend.

TBH it's a shit best of XI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Beckenbauer needs Katsche Schwarzenbeck as a back up.

Baresi in for Beckenbauer.

Yashin or Kahn in goals and it'll do me.

EDIT: On second thoughts, Beckenbauer in front of Baresi, Di Stefano out and move Maradona in behind Messi and Pele.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Everytime you watch a 9 year old switch feet with the ball thank Cruyff.

• Advertisement

Ronaldo is a goal machine. Cruyff was a genius.

Ronaldo is a goal machine. Cruyff was a genius.

Ronaldo has arguably been the most effective player since the era where most games were goalfests and the stats didnt hold up to much.

The best player in the world. Possibly of all-time. Certainly of my lifetime.

It's funny the amount of current and ex players who have released their best XI of all time. I haven't seen one where Messi wasn't included either as striker or winger and tbh Ronaldo has been omitted from a handy few. Tbh I think Ronaldo is deserving of a place but not over the expense of Cruyff or Maradona.

Ronaldo has arguably been the most effective player since the era where most games were goalfests and the stats didnt hold up to much.

I don't deny that and putting him in an all time XI makes sense. But Cryuff being in a World XI is not laughable no matter who was excluded.

8-10 wrote: »
    I don't deny that and putting him in an all time XI makes sense. But Cryuff being in a World XI is not laughable no matter who was excluded.

It is when he wasn't in the best 4 attacking players in the world.

You could suggest taking Messi or Maradona out instead but I think a good argument for that would be hard to formulate.

Ronaldo should be first name on teamsheet anyway. Nobody should be that good.

Lol @ taking Messi out for Ronaldo, that's a Hitler move right there

• Advertisement

Lol @ taking Messi out for Ronaldo, that's a Hitler move right there

Ronaldo's record since going to Spain is just unmatched. The most effective footballer.

It is when he wasn't in the best 4 attacking players in the world.

Nope it's really not. Case can definitely be made and accepted but it's not outlandish to have Cryuff in a best XI. I don't care who your other 10 are, there is a case to be made for Cryuff to be in any team of any era.

I'm not saying he should be in everyone's top XI, or even this one, far from it.

Nope it's really not. Case can definitely be made and accepted but it's not outlandish to have Cryuff in a best XI. I don't care who your other 10 are, there is a case to be made for Cryuff to be in any team of any era.

I'm not saying he should be in everyone's top XI, or even this one, far from it.
    I disagree. I think there's 4 or 5 attacking players who have to be in the discussion. Any XI should compile from those. I don't believe Cruyff to be in there.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm just disagreeing with it.

I'm sure andersonisgod will be along to tell us how he was a pioneer of a football style, and he was, but for me that doesn't come into play here.

I disagree. I think there's 4 or 5 attacking players who have to be in the discussion. Any XI should compile from those. I don't believe Cruyff to be in there.

But you're not just disagreeing with it, you're saying that the opinion is laughably wrong. That's what I have the issue with. I'm fine with you simply saying Ronaldo's exclusion is laughable.

If you disagree then disagree, but you're doing more than that

But you're not just disagreeing with it, you're saying that the opinion is laughably wrong. That's what I have the issue with. I'm fine with you simply saying Ronaldo's exclusion is laughable.

If you disagree then disagree, but you're doing more than that

I'm doing more than that with the notion that Cruyff belongs more than Ronaldo. That was what the laughable remark related to.

Slightly separate to Cruyff v the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Not sure about the most effective. He is adept at running up his stats through meaningless goals and penalties. Amazing player, don't get me wrong - just somewhat flattered by the numbers.

One of those players revolutionised football. Hint: it wasn't Ronaldo. And you call that laughable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'm sure andersonisgod will be along to tell us how he was a pioneer of a football style, and he was, but for me that doesn't come into play here.

I would but I'm far too distracted by your "Ronaldo is the most effective footballer ever" comment. I do wonder about those who make such comments, are they long lost mega fans of Inzaghi or Van Nistelrooy? Like Ronaldo, great goalscorers yet they are never mentioned in these lists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ronaldo's record since going to Spain is just unmatched. The most effective footballer.

That's just not true! Not only has it been matched, it's been beaten...by you guessed it, Messi. I think both should probably make any best XI, but since Ronaldo's arrival he's scored 284 goals and Messi has scored 297. You could argue Ronaldo has a slightly better ratio, but it's negligible really.

L'prof wrote: »
    That's just not true! Not only has it been matched, it's been beaten by...you guessed it, Messi. I think both should probably make any best XI, but since Ronaldo's arrival he's scored 284 goals and Messi has scored 297. You could argue Ronaldo has a slightly better ratio, but it's negligible really

It's something stupidly small like .01 in the difference between them I think, but I'm not sure in who's favour. But if it's that close for goals I'd have Messi all day because he clearly offers more in play in addition to the goals.

Without wanting to start another one of those arguments :p

Why not put Gerd Muller in ahead of Ronaldo?

453 league games for Bayern and 398 goals.

62 games for West Germany and 68 goals.

I always think Muller is one of the most underrated strikers of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Messi and Ronaldo are just a poor man's Maradona!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Ronaldo also has a tendency to be anonymous in some big matches he has played, CL finals etc. That's why I wouldm't pick him above the others.

Great shout on Gerd Muller btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Good team but I'd have Lev Yashin in Goal.

If I was a great player and had to give my best 11 for an interview (yes, big if),

I'd pick 10 world class players and also throw in one random one just to troll people.

Maybe Kewell, or would that be pushing it ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement