Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership of Triathlon Ireland?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

Do you need to be a member of the above to take part in both duathlons and triathlons?
    Do you also have to join a club to be able to enter races etc? Is the day license an extra on top of the race fee?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do you need to be a member of the above to take part in both duathlons and triathlons

Do you also have to join a club to be able to enter races etc? Is the day license an extra on top of the race fee?

Thanks

You do not need to be a member of TI to race. You do not need to be a member of a club.

For any TI sanctioned race you will need to pay a day licence if you are not a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can I ask what way the transitions work?
    I have a road bike and am fairly used to riding it now. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I haven't got a puncture yet so I haven't experienced changing a tyre. I have plenty of experience of doing it as a kid and have all the gear for the bike including clipless pedals and shoes. But on the day would you leave your shoes attached to the pedals? Would you also leave your runners at another station?
    I might go and see a triathlon in action some day to get an idea of the whole thing.

Can I ask what way the transitions work?
    I have a road bike and am fairly used to riding it now. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I haven't got a puncture yet so I haven't experienced changing a tyre. I have plenty of experience of doing it as a kid and have all the gear for the bike including clipless pedals and shoes. But on the day would you leave your shoes attached to the pedals? Would you also leave your runners at another station?
    I might go and see a triathlon in action some day to get an idea of the whole thing.

Out of water.
    Zip wetsuit down to waist while running to bike.
    Take wetsuit off completely.
    Helmet on
    Option 1: put bike shoes on and run with shoes on to mount line, jump on bike. Clip in.
    Option 2 : bikes on pedals, maybe using elastic bands to keep them right way up, run with bike to mount line, flying mount, feet into or on shoes, peak up to speed, feet into and/or close shoes

Coming to end of bike. Open shoes, feet onto shoes, pedal to dismount line, flying dismount with shoes staying on pedals, run to spot, rank bike, unfasten helmet. Runners on. Go.
    T1 and T2 usually in the same spot.

How do they ensure that stuff is safe in the transitions? Just a trust system?
    Do you go back afterwards to collect your wetsuit and bike etc from the T areas?

Also do you wear some sort of bike shorts and top under the wetsuit?

Edit: I just watched a couple of youtube videos there to get an idea. I'd imagine in Ireland with the wet weather you would want to have a waterproof bag to keep stuff dry in the T areas.

I'm a long way off doing a full tri yet as I am just learning to swim. The sprint distance would be the target I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

How do they ensure that stuff is safe in the transitions? Just a trust system?
    Do you go back afterwards to collect your wetsuit and bike etc from the T areas?

Also do you wear some sort of bike shorts and top under the wetsuit?

After the race you go back to transition to collect your stuff. The level of security varies, from having your photo taken with your bike beforehand to ensure only you can remove it after the race, to zero security with a free for all in transition after a race. You need to be sensible with what you leave in transition.

If it's a wetsuit swim you can wear a tri suit or a jersey and tri shorts under your wet suit. You will need to keep your torso covered in transition otherwise you risk a DQ, hence the need for a tri suit or a jersey. In pool swims though exposed torsos seems to be acceptable!!

Edit: no large bags allowed in transition. If stuff gets wet it gets wet. You can use a plastic bag to keep stuff dry if needs be but for short races it's not something to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I'd imagine in Ireland with the wet weather you would want to have a waterproof bag to keep stuff dry in the T areas

I usually fold my towel back over my runners in transition just incase there's any showers but to be honest you won't notice either way.

Regarding security it's usually club members checking numbers on collection/departure of transition after the race nobody with the exception of athletes are allowed into transition and then when the race gets under way it's closed to everyone.

Why not try a try a tri distance first the swim is usually only 200-300M

For the moment I will just concentrate on improving in the pool - a long way to go there yet. Struggling with the freestyle breathing. I might use a pullbouy to make it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 NewTRIer

Inquired about getting a one day membership refund because I was injured and couldn't race recently, was told that they will not refund it. Never had a problem before and it doesn't state on the website that they are non refundable. A bit peeved to be honest, they aren't cheap. Anyone else had this?

NewTRIer wrote: »
    Inquired about getting a one day membership refund because I was injured and couldn't race recently, was told that they will not refund it. Never had a problem before and it doesn't state on the website that they are non refundable. A bit peeved to be honest, they aren't cheap. Anyone else had this?

Think you are being unreasonable to expect a refund of a one day licence.

How far out from the race were you injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Did you get your race entry refunded?

• Advertisement

Yeah they refunded that no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Yeah they refunded that no problem.

Consider yourself lucky and move on so. Normal practice would be no refunds on race entry. Which triathlon was it out of curiosity?

tunney wrote: »
    Think you are being unreasonable to expect a refund of a one day licence.

How far out from the race were you injured?

Contacted them prior to the race and was told that they couldn't do the refund until after the race when they checked the sign on sheets to prove I hadn't raced on it. Now they are doing a 180 and saying they aren't refunding them at present. Should it not say that they are non refundable before you buy it. Not a lot about them on their website in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Never heard of any refund policy on one day memberships. Curious to know now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

I bought a ODL for a Tri in August. I'm now doing 2 more, so it works out more economical to join TI. I emailed and was told they would refund the ODL if it was unused, and in advance of the event. So I guess it varies?

sullivlo wrote: »
    I bought a ODL for a Tri in August. I'm now doing 2 more, so it works out more economical to join TI. I emailed and was told they would refund the ODL if it was unused, and in advance of the event. So I guess it varies?

Different here.

The ODL was not used, however you are now a TI member.

Very different to "not ar$ed doing the race, can I have my ODL back?"

Advertisement