Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charger for shaver?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Recently I've got new shaver as a gift. I was trying to charge it using provided charger, but apparently this charger didn't work.
    So I figured out what's wrong :) This shaver came from US and input voltage is 120V, so obviously I damaged it after I plugged it into the wall (230V).
    Any ideas where can I get such charger so that I could use it here?
    SfUTTewethv5n5IxI5mHH258K_BIVlKYjj5TNAbxvi-kckVpu2IS-5h4NYwpVYnJJOk3zjIGLVkr95KrH5i68QdttQyP5jDX=w1896-h897

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What's the make and model of the shaver and are we talking about a charger with a rechargable battery or a mains only shaver?

You may have permanently fried the circuitry, if I was you I'd see if any local pub or hotel has 110/240v (i.e. dual voltage) shaver sockets in their washrooms, you could test it there to see if it's damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

coylemj wrote: »
    What's the make and model of the shaver and are we talking about a charger with a rechargable battery or a mains only shaver?

You may have permanently fried the circuitry, if I was you I'd see if any local pub or hotel has 110/240v (i.e. dual voltage) shaver sockets in their washrooms, you could test it there to see if it's damaged.

It is damaged for sure as I checked it using multimeter.
    Shaver is with the battery (not removable as far as I'm aware) - it's this one.

If it isn't a stupid question - how come you know how to use a multimeter yet you plugged a 110V US appliance into a mains socket here?

Do you have a separate charger or does the main lead just run straight into the shaver i.e. is the feed into the shaver AC or DC?

If it isn't a stupid question - how come you know how to use a multimeter yet you plugged a 110V US appliance into a mains socket here?

Do you have a separate charger or does the main lead just run straight into the shaver i.e. is the feed into the shaver AC or DC?

No this is not stupid question. Actually it's funny :-) I didn't took a look at the label of the charger and I just used adapter which I have for laptop and tablet, but charger for both devices can be used with 110v and 230v. So after few hours of 'charging' I figured out that something must be wrong with socket or charger.

I don't have another charger. I think that I could cut this cable and use it with different charger, but apparently output must be circa 1.5V 150mAh. I don't really get it as even USB voltage is circa 5V and current circa 500mAh.

sebphoto wrote: »
    I don't have another charger. I think that I could cut this cable and use it with different charger, but apparently output must be circa 1.5V 150mAh. I don't really get it as even USB voltage is circa 5V and current circa 500mAh.

'mAh' is a measure of battery capacity, not current and '150 mAh' is a very low number, even a AAA rechargeable battery is >500 mAh, more like 900 or so.

If the charger output is 1.5V then it suggests that there's only one battery in the shaver which I'd find unusual for a device with a motor.

• Advertisement

'mAh' is a measure of battery capacity, not current and '150 mAh' is a very low number, even a AAA rechargeable battery is >500 mAh, more like 900 or so.

If the charger output is 1.5V then it suggests that there's only one battery in the shaver which I'd find unusual for a device with a motor.

If I knew how to disassemble this thing (I mean shaver) then I would do it as I'm very curious what kind of battery is inside.

Advertisement