Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Led/ hi-viz/ solar powered dog collar

• 02-01-2015 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good dog collar that will give off a good light, either flashing or constant?
    Our dog will occasionally wander away from the house in the evenings and I'm afraid of a car hitting him. We live on a straight stretch of road but at night he may not be seen.
    A keychain/fob that is attached to the collar might also work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got a couple of these before Xmas and find them really good but depending on how long the dog is out the charge might not be long enough - I'd say after an hour you'd need to charge again but that works for us - http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/hi_viz_collars/450044

I also have roglites and have been using them for the last few months and battery still fine.

Why let him wander and risk his or a drivers (and any passengers) lives though and be liable for any damage caused? Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're consciously letting him out to wander of you're planning on turning on the light on his collar before he goes out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

He is not consciously let out. We have him trained to stay around our house using the petsmart fence but like any other dog he gets curious and can potter off up the fields. We have an acre and half of a site and have it fenced off but twice in the past month he has gone on the road.
    Thank you for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I bought myself and mother in law a pair of These a few months ago for our dogs. They work great, there's 2 flash modes or a solid light mode. They seem to be great quality and have a hook so a lead can be attached so it's also handy for walking in low light!
    If ya can wait the 3weeks for delivery it'd be my suggestion.

I bought myself and mother in law a pair of These a few months ago for our dogs. They work great, there's 2 flash modes or a solid light mode. They seem to be great quality and have a hook so a lead can be attached so it's also handy for walking in low light!
    If ya can wait the 3weeks for delivery it'd be my suggestion.

How do you find the battery life on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

heldel00 wrote: »
    How do you find the battery life on them?

Not bad for what I use it for. Mines going strong 2 months on. That's from about an hour per day of use. The other one is faded in a lit up room but still visible in the dark (it must have been left on a few times after it was taken off her dog).

It runs on 2 coin button batteries, which are supplied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Make sure you don't get one that has weird/non-standard batteries. One of them on zooplus uses 2 batteries @ €3 each from zooplus - they look like ones that'd cost you a fortune and only be available from a chemist. Dealz/Mr Price etc usually have button cell batteries so you might be able to stock up ;)

Anyone ever tried solar powered or USB rechargeable?

Advertisement