Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"Untrusted App Developer"

• 02-01-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

So I have downloaded a popular Android app through Safari without a jailbreak.

I was expecting the the pop up "Untrusted App Developer"

But I am just wondering how save this is? What exactly am I agreeing to when I click Trust? How much access is given to this Developer? IS it safe to then use my iPhone in the normal manner, banking etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

How did you download the app and why did you do this as it won't work on iOS devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

skimpydoo wrote: »
    How did you download the app and why did you do this as it won't work on iOS devices.

Ow it works alright. Apple allow custom enterprise apps. Look at apples information here on it.

I downloaded a Third party app basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Ow it works alright. Apple allow custom enterprise apps. Look at apples information here on it.

I downloaded a Third party app basically.
    You called it an "Android app". If it's developed for Android, it won't work on iOS.

If it is actually an "Untrusted Developer" iOS app: apps in the Apple Store are vetted. You can be reasonably sure it doesn't contain malicious code. Third-party apps don't have that assurance. If you trust where it comes from, you're good

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yep sorry about the confusion. Just here lots of my Android friends talking about this app.

But that is the thing. It is not supported by Apple. Although the means of getting it is. It is downloaded outside the App store. So I am just wondering how much access is given to the phone then.
    I think only information I put into the actual App can be used. But as it does not ask for information. I think it is fine. Just not 100% sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I know the app you're talking about, there was a discussion on another forum about it, as far as I remember when it was originally released early last year, it also had permission to view your browsing stats.

The new renamed version has no such permissions. The only info they gather, is for which movies or shows you watched, and I think your name/age/email address if granted as a later pop up.
    You get this message because the application is signed via an enterprise certificate that has not yet been trusted by the user. Apple force this prompt to appear because the application that is being installed hasn't gone through the App Store review process so is technically untrusted.

Once the user has accepted the prompt, the certificate will be marked as trusted and the application can be installed (along with any other future applications that you wish to install that have been signed with the same certificate)

Note: As pointed out in the comments, as of iOS 8, uninstalling all applications from a specific certificate will cause the prompt to be shown again once an application from said certificate is re-installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

This is worth remembering -
    If you’re concerned about any potential threat, the most important thing to do is educate yourself about the applications that you download. Sticking to apps from the App Store will keep you safe. If you download apps from a third party, you’re always opening yourself up to the potential for a security threat.

I believe that app to be safe enough, but to be 100% safe, according to apple, you should only stick to apps from their app store.
    (Presumably even ones that pretend to be something else to bypass security, eg. Nintendo emulator, cloud storage, movie apps.)

Allyall wrote: »
    This is worth remembering -

I believe that app to be safe enough, but to be 100% safe, according to apple, you should only stick to apps from their app store.
    (Presumably even ones that pretend to be something else to bypass security, eg. Nintendo emulator, cloud storage, movie apps.)

Yeh well that is it. Suppose you can't be 100% sure. I am fully aware of what information I put in the app. They have access to. I was more concerned about the actual access it has to the rest of the phone.

I will probably just use it on my iPad. Less personal stuff there.
    Thanks

Advertisement