Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The downhill of AAA games

Options
  • 02-01-2015 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭

2014 was the year videogames got stupid those words come from a youtuber I have tremendous respect for from super bunny hop and in a video less than 15 minutes long pretty much has summed up the decisions of the industry and us surrounding it and while I made a thread awhile back on my thoughts on indie games and feel alot I played although very creative , unique and gorgeous when taking into the account of budget and team size compared to the like of the ubisoft and ea its very promising and its no wonder the industry has really taken a strive to them to push innovation and memorable moments for years to come.

I made another thread awhile back talking about I fear having online into my single player games because while I may be in the minority as the ever fast digital age comes rapid and social networking as blended into our everyday lives I am now in red alert stage not for games per say but for AAA games.

2 titles comes to mind , two of which if you were to ask me what was your some of your fav games I would say sleeping dogs and dragons dogma, now these are two vastly different games with different genres and made by two completely different developers and studios but they share something in common. fans such as myself were dying for an announcement of a sequel and when the time came we were happy till the moment came , they are online only :mad: one of which is pc exclusive via sleeping dogs.

is this is what to expect for future titles ? that any given moment a successful well made sp game can turn into a sort of mmo esque game ?
    albeit ubisoft most recent and ea have treated sp games like mmo with microtransactions and if anything is to remind us of how hard it is to manage online games to iron bugs with titles like driveclub , the crew and assassin creed unity the days of getting excited for a games release is well and truly gone and playing the waiting game till bugs are ironed out is in.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/02/capcom-registers-trademark-for-dragons-dogma-online

Sqaure enix ceo latest remarks gave me the impressions that japanese studios think mobile strategy is the right tactic measures to keep a steady revenue while I can not say for certain is right or wrong it still worries me.

I do not mind a dark souls approach just allow me to play single player if by any chance my internet dies out I can still play it.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/01/square-enix-annual-report-talks-ffxiv-hitman-go-tomb-raider-and-the-future

Sorry for the normal aul long rant again , just something I needed to get off my chest

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well he doesn't say games becoming stupid was all bad. Bayonetta 2 is brilliant in it's stupidity.

It's a transition year for gaming with the new generation of consoles. Sales of games have been dropping steadily for current gen while the next gen formats don't have a solid user base yet so publishers had to play it safe to make any sort of impact. However publishers also know that the start of a generation is the best time to introduce new franchises and hopefully we'll see a lot of that in the coming year. It's happening already with stuff like Destiny, Shadow of Mordor and Watchdogs, they may not be perfect but are solid foundations on which to build a franchise, similar to the first assassin's creed which was an absolutely appalling game but came into it's own in it's second iteration and neither of the two games mentioned are as bad as the first Assassin's Creed.

And if you are bored with triple A games that were boring there was always Nintendo to fall back on who created and published some of the most widely innovative, imaginative and technically competent titles this year. It still boggles the mind how there are still so many morons out there complaining about them rehashing old ideas and franchises when just playing their games reveals anything but.

Handhelds I feel were disappointing this year, especially considering the stellar year the 3DS had last year. In fact I think the Vita had a far, far better year than the 3DS. The 3DS still had a handful of absolutely stellar titles but I feel it was eclipsed by the japanese weirdness on the Vita and it hosted some wonderful JRPGs. However it might be mobile that was the real winner for handheld gaming. Some of the deepest and imaginative games came out on mobile.

So it's really not all doom and gloom (well except for the gamergate nonsense which is embarassing for all involved) just a crappy year for games but every console transition period takes a while to truly get going, I remember the PS360 period taking a good two years before it really took off. It's just business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I did not mean to imply stupid games mean bad games but my general analysis is the likes of dragons dogma and sleeping dogs , two absoultely really enjoying games both have become mmos ? I do not see the purpose of it , monster hunter i could understand a switch for the franchise to be a mmo but dragons dogma ? Why ?

Square enix okay I admit ff a realm reborn blew me the **** away , but I swore to myself once that subscription trial ends I am done with it and while I am not the mmo sort of the guy that game was amazing and for the 15 quid I spent on it was well rewarded even if I barely scratched the surface I sure as hell made up the hours for it.

Transition is the key word but I may be on the cautious button for too long but why is it I can think of more online only titles from aaa than offline ?

Majority coming from ubisoft which seem to have taken this stride quicker since demons souls first came out as sure the rest of the other publishers.

AAA are not boring or bad but my main issue is they are relying heavily on transactions that are not f2p model games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Good thing we have indie games to keep us company, ey Richy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I don't think there's anything to worry about to be honest although I do understand your point. Sleeping Dogs will completely bomb and teach SE a lesson (it also baffles me why they would turn such a promising franchise into an mmo style ****fest instead of devolving a proper sequel but this is the same crowd that followed up the excellent Deus Ex Human Revolution with a patethic smartphone game).

Thankfully we still have games such as Wolfenstein which doesn't have a multiplayer/online element in sight. Just a well fleshed out and brilliantly written single player experience. There are still studios out there that understand that multiplayer/online intrusive features are not the be all and end all.

I don't however agree that indie games are a shining light in the darkness. Most of them are only too happy to rip off game mechanics from 20 years ago and throw some pixel art over it. I did not play a single indie title in 2014 that I enjoyed (ps4 Ps Plus) and one of my new year resolutions for 2015 is that I'm not going to play anymore of them. They are just not my thing and while I understand some people really do enjoy them, they feel like cheap throwaway crap to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sqaure enix ceo latest remarks gave me the impressions that japanese studios think mobile strategy is the right tactic measures to keep a steady revenue while I can not say for certain is right or wrong it still worries me.

You know what I think they should do ? More PC ports!

From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, PC gaming isn't as popular in Japan as the rest of the world? Hence games developers focus on the console markets?

Now personally, I don't play many Japanese games at all, not since I was a kid really playing FFVII and MGS on the PlayStation way back when. It kinda just came with the territory of being a PC gamer, it was like there was a whole world of games that I was kinda cut off from. Picking up MGR: Revengeance and being super excited about it, I kinda wish there were more games available to me. I actually want to grab a copy of the MGS HD collection and play it on my girlfriend's Xbox, but damn I wish it was available for PC because I would seriously snap it up.

Speaking of, how are the Devil May Cry games on the PC? Was kinda eyeballing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

2014 was the year videogames got stupid those words come from a youtuber I have tremendous respect for from super bunny hop and in a video less than 15 minutes long pretty much has summed up the decisions of the industry and us surrounding it and while I made a thread awhile back on my thoughts on indie games and feel alot I played although very creative , unique and gorgeous when taking into the account of budget and team size compared to the like of the ubisoft and ea its very promising and its no wonder the industry has really taken a strive to them to push innovation and memorable moments for years to come.

I made another thread awhile back talking about I fear having online into my single player games because while I may be in the minority as the ever fast digital age comes rapid and social networking as blended into our everyday lives I am now in red alert stage not for games per say but for AAA games.

2 titles comes to mind , two of which if you were to ask me what was your some of your fav games I would say sleeping dogs and dragons dogma, now these are two vastly different games with different genres and made by two completely different developers and studios but they share something in common. fans such as myself were dying for an announcement of a sequel and when the time came we were happy till the moment came , they are online only :mad: one of which is pc exclusive via sleeping dogs.

is this is what to expect for future titles ? that any given moment a successful well made sp game can turn into a sort of mmo esque game ?
    albeit ubisoft most recent and ea have treated sp games like mmo with microtransactions and if anything is to remind us of how hard it is to manage online games to iron bugs with titles like driveclub , the crew and assassin creed unity the days of getting excited for a games release is well and truly gone and playing the waiting game till bugs are ironed out is in.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/02/capcom-registers-trademark-for-dragons-dogma-online

I do not mind a dark souls approach just allow me to play single player if by any chance my internet dies out I can still play it.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/01/01/square-enix-annual-report-talks-ffxiv-hitman-go-tomb-raider-and-the-future

Sorry for the normal aul long rant again , just something I needed to get off my chest

I must be getting old as I had great difficulty reading this post. I'm not the kind of guy that nitpicks grammar, spelling and punctuation in a post. But this is absolutely terrible.

Anyway back on topic. With regards to PC AAA games, I think that the move of the industry towards mobile, micro-transactions, small scale games and console ports is largely the fault of the PC gaming community. The vast majority of PC gamers have pirated at least some of their games. The figures from piracy for Far Cry 4 show you exactly why there is such a reluctance to take gambles on well made AAA titles for PC.

When the industry gets some proper anti-piracy tools that actually work and don't interfere with legitimate gameplay, then you will start to get more developers take large AAA PC games seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So isn't the thread more to do with certain SP games becoming online only and that's what your disappointed with as opposed to the whole "AAA games" catalogue/industry going downhill.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Links234 wrote: »
    Now personally, I don't play many Japanese games at all, not since I was a kid really playing FFVII and MGS on the PlayStation way back when. It kinda just came with the territory of being a PC gamer, it was like there was a whole world of games that I was kinda cut off from. Picking up MGR: Revengeance and being super excited about it, I kinda wish there were more games available to me. I actually want to grab a copy of the MGS HD collection and play it on my girlfriend's Xbox, but damn I wish it was available for PC because I would seriously snap it up.

Speaking of, how are the Devil May Cry games on the PC? Was kinda eyeballing them

It's not just PC games that aren't popular in Japan, consoles have totally fallen out of favour with only the nerdy Otaku playing games on them. Development has really shifted to handheld and mobile although the indie scene has only just taken off there.
    Eoin247 wrote: »
    Anyway back on topic. With regards to PC AAA games, I think that the move of the industry towards mobile, micro-transactions, small scale games and console ports is largely the fault of the PC gaming community. The vast majority of PC gamers have pirated at least some of their games. The figures from piracy for Far Cry 4 show you exactly why there is such a reluctance to take gambles on well made AAA titles for PC.

When the industry gets some proper anti-piracy tools that actually work and don't interfere with legitimate gameplay, then you will start to get more developers take large AAA PC games seriously.

You can't just look at piracy figures and declare PC gamers to be pirates and that the game didn't sell well. PC game sales figures are well up at the moment and then there's also the fact that most pirates were never going to buy the full game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I think polygon summed it best 'the year that sucked for everyone except nintendo'

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Hopefully 2014 was the low point in terms of broken/half finished games getting released. I'd be optimistic for 2015 mainly because it seems some AAA developers are willing to take the decision to delay titles until they are finished like CD project with the Witcher 3 and Rocksteady with Arkham Knight.
    Oh and never pre-order...not even once :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully 2014 was the low point in terms of broken/half finished games getting released. I'd be optimistic for 2015 mainly because it seems some AAA developers are willing to take the decision to delay titles until they are finished like CD project with the Witcher 3 and Rocksteady with Arkham Knight.
    Oh and never pre-order...not even once :D

EA really hurt the Battlefield brand with how broken 4 was and the same for Ubi with AC, and while in the case of unity it was an exception when publishers are so interested in serializing game they aren't going to be in a rush for a quick profit when they could milk a series for years.

While the delays are good for the games you have to think if it needed x more months how ****ed was it, in the case of Drive club they delayed it around a year and only announced that a month out from the original release and it was still broken.

Not sure how good Witcher 3 will be, the 2.0 versions have made those games but they weren't that great to begin with. Years ago I read a short collection of those stories based on the fact that someone defended the crappy first game with the lore and back-story which I guess must be great if it in anyway make up for the W1; the 2.0 version of that change it but this was before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You do realise that you can pirate almost every last-generation game on consoles, right? Including far cry 4.

Proper tools? You're kidding, right? Look how far that got the movie and music industry. There is no stopping piracy and all the DRM they tried to halt it with only screwed over the paying customers more and more. You're actually asking for more micro transactions, more DRM? There's no way that DRM won't be intrusive, it's counter to its very nature. The only way to overcome this issue is to accept they're powerless to stop it and provide a better product than pirates provide because as of right now they offer the same game the developer offers but without intrusive DRM and at a 100% discount.

They have to make the game easier to buy, download, quicker to download with snappy servers, update automatically and quickly and overall throw everything and the kitchen sink at the consumer in regards to ease of use and efficiency. Right now all their DRM does is stop day-1 purchases from playing because they need to be connected online and the servers turn inside-out because of overload on day 1. We've seen it happen to some of the biggest games from the biggest companies, it's pathetic.

But in case you haven't noticed they're not really all interested in improving their service, they'll get around to it eventually like the music and (somewhat) the movie industry, kicking and screaming about their precious DRM even though we can see games like The Witcher series sell well with zero DRM.

And FYI, people trading physical copies of their games on console and retailers re-selling turned-in games costs developers and publishers a lot more money than those very iffy pirating statistics. This is much more likely the reason for the DLC and pointless online modes being tacked on to many games these days. Tekken Tag 2 won't even work online if you bring the disc over to a friends house unless they purchase the downloadable code thing on their console's store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Links234 wrote: »
    Now personally, I don't play many Japanese games at all, not since I was a kid really playing FFVII and MGS on the PlayStation way back when. It kinda just came with the territory of being a PC gamer, it was like there was a whole world of games that I was kinda cut off from.

I'm almost convinced both of those games got PC releases either at the time or very shortly afterwards...

Sorry for being pedantic, i do totally see your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm almost convinced both of those games got PC releases either at the time or very shortly afterwards...

Sorry for being pedantic, i do totally see your point.

Well I definitely remember FFVII getting a PC release, and of course on steam. But I mean, post PS1 I never got any consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    similar to the first assassin's creed which was an absolutely appalling game but came into it's own in it's second iteration and neither of the two games mentioned are as bad as the first Assassin's Creed.

Do you recommend I play all the other Assasins Creed games? I played the first years ago and never understood what was so good about it so never bothered getting the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Do you recommend I play all the other Assasins Creed games? I played the first years ago and never understood what was so good about it so never bothered getting the others.

I got the first one and thought the same, then borrowed the second froma friend and while its much better it still had all the same problems in my opinion, most notably that i prefer to play than to spectate . But some people love the games,i dont think you need to play all of them. Black flag was good fun for a while and the story with the second one brotherhood and revelations is supposed to be very good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Good thing we have indie games to keep us company, ey Richy ;)

Damn it, I wanted to be the one this time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cormac... wrote: »
    Damn it, I wanted to be the one this time :D

Doesn't really matter, Richy's not listening - he's closed his account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

He's probably trying to get all 170 emblems in sonic adventure :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Huh, well thats unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    the fact that most pirates were never going to buy the full game anyway.

I've heard this argument many times. There is no "fact" for this because how on earth could you prove that they wouldn't have bought the game anyway? It's pure speculation at best.

I'll give you an experience as an example arguing against this point though. If you are of a certain age then you can probably relate.
    When I was in secondary school most guys had two pieces of technology to game on, a laptop and a console. Now by sixth year the PS3 and 360 had been out for many years and these guys would all have stacks of these console game boxes on their shelves in their rooms. Hundreds and hundreds of euros worth of games.

The resounding argument in my year was that since it was so easy to download a free game for their computer, literally the click of a button, they could easily get that game and use the money they save to buy themselves a console game too. The only people who actually paid for a PC game were the people who played wow and a few minecrafters. If you actually paid for a PC game when you didn't need to you were laughed at as being stupid.

To the other guy who quoted me about console pirating. Yes I know you can mod old consoles to pirate games, but the reality is that most people don't know about that and it takes work to do so. Downloading a free PC game is so simple that infants do it.

Well that changes everything. If a few people you know did it a few years ago before digital market places like steam etc. then by extension everyone must be doing it. I bow to your powers of extrapolation based on conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Well Eoin, these days you could buy a dozen games on PC for the price of one console game with the use of places like cheapshark.com, isthereanydeal.com. So you could say the tide has turned and you'd be laughed at for spending so much money on a console game when you could've gotten it for a fraction of the price elsewhere.
    Downloading a free PC game is so simple that infants do it.

Most people don't even know how to use torrent clients or bypass ISP censors to access torrent-listing sites, let alone crack a game which in the end still won't have its online multiplayer modes working.

Advertisement