Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tooth Decay

Options
  • 02-01-2015 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi everyone! My LO is 1 year old. She was exclusively bf until a short time ago when I introduced a bottle of formula at bedtime (long story but I got sick with possibility of hospital stay and freaked out as baby had never gone to bed without nursing to sleep:rolleyes:). Anyway back on topic! LO has 5 teeth now and we try to brush her teeth a couple of times a day. She doesn't have any juices etc, only water to drink during the day and we're trying to avoid naturally high sugar foods like oranges etc. My own baby teeth were badly damaged from sucking on oranges and I am so paranoid about tooth decay!

Her teeth are brushed before bed and she then has her bottle of formula and most of the time falls asleep by the end of drinking it. If I try to wake her to brush her teeth we have problems getting her back to sleep. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance from everyone that its okay not to brush her teeth again after her bottle:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Soooky wrote: »
    Hi everyone! My LO is 1 year old. She was exclusively bf until a short time ago when I introduced a bottle of formula at bedtime (long story but I got sick with possibility of hospital stay and freaked out as baby had never gone to bed without nursing to sleep:rolleyes:). Anyway back on topic! LO has 5 teeth now and we try to brush her teeth a couple of times a day. She doesn't have any juices etc, only water to drink during the day and we're trying to avoid naturally high sugar foods like oranges etc. My own baby teeth were badly damaged from sucking on oranges and I am so paranoid about tooth decay!

Her teeth are brushed before bed and she then has her bottle of formula and most of the time falls asleep by the end of drinking it. If I try to wake her to brush her teeth we have problems getting her back to sleep. I suppose I'm looking for reassurance from everyone that its okay not to brush her teeth again after her bottle:o

I was looking in to this recently (i also have dreadful teeth, maybe this is where the obsession comes from)
    My guy has his dinner at 6, a lil bedtime cereal then bath , teeth and bed for 7. We then give him a dream feed at 10/11 . He is sleepy drinking this.
    what i heard was that once he is not sleepibg with the bottle teeth in his mouth or milk resting in his mouth its fine.
    I could be wrong but i really dont like the idea of waking to brush teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I can only say it was OK for us. Our daughter got teeth very early, had all her baby teeth before she was 18 months old. We brushed them before bedtime, but she did get formula before sleep up to about 20 months. She did not sleep with the bottle in her mouth... We fed her and took away the bottle.

She has had her teeth checked several times, they are perfect so far, at age 3.

I am fairly strict on teeth damaging food and drink though. Milk and flouridated tap-water are the only drinks, and no sweets. She gets treats alright, but they are biscuit or cake rather than lollys or sweets that linger in the mouth for ages.

Advertisement