Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday with a 9mth old - advice / recommendations please!!

Options
  • 03-01-2015 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a destination and hotel or complex that they have been to that would work for a baby!!! We were thinking of going in July. I guess it needs to be as short a flight as possible. I figure with a baby self catering might be better so i can prepare meals for him? also i think somewhere right on the beach so we can nip back and forth easily with the baby when it gets too hot etc, so withing walking distance of amenities. I have been googling and am thinking albufeira in Portugal. Any advice would be great or are we mad trying to bring a baby on hols! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I wouldn't worry too much a 9 month old is very portable.
    We have gone on holidays with all of them as babies,we have gone to France twice,Lanzarote,Menorca, with babies 6 months or under and other then having to bring formula it was fine.
    I much prefer self catering to hotels as you have a lot more freedom.
    It is when they are walking that it becomes a challenge and France begins to look like the only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would Mallorca be too far away? Fly into Palma, and get the tour bus to the north of the island?

Went there with my family when I was about 14 or 15 I think. Found the north of the island to be fairly family orientated, with all the pubs there to be family friendly. Everything was close to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We went to vilanova I la geltru just outside Barcelona last year. Went self catering too cos we wanted to be able to cook for the baby (just an egg, porridge, toast, pasta- nothing extreme!). Couldn't recommend the place enough. Beautiful little seaside town and only 40 mins by train to bcn so we did a few trips in there too. Lovely clean beach and the apart hotel had a pool so we just chilled there mostly.
    Don't worry so much about the length of flight. I think up to 3 hours would be my max. It's more the connections between flight and getting to hotel I'd be concerned about. If the hotel is miles from the airport you'd be killed. Also if there's a choice of flights the time of day would be a bigger factor for me than the length. At 9 months the baby might sleep a lot anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Rural Italy is lovely and extremely family friendly. Have a look at Agrituismi. Wherever you stay, with a nine month old be wary of steps and balconies. Nothing spoils a relaxing time like constantly having to police a crawling baby intent on climbing a flight of rough stone steps or toppling from a mezzanine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 deedee1234

Thanks everyone some great suggestions there. I had forgotten to beware of steps etc coz he will b moving by then! Must do my homework carefully before picking! Thanks for suggestions I now have somewhere to start!

• Advertisement
Advertisement