Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc cutting out

Options
  • 03-01-2015 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Please be gentle and use idiot proof words as I am completely dumb when it comes to technology. I seriously panic if the tv does something strange so the pc is a complete meltdown ;-)

The pc has started cutting out if games are played on it even fb games. The man in pc world told me I needed a new power cable so I bought one but the problem still happens. It doesn't cut out if just browsing the internet

It does restart after a while, very occassionally (twice and months apart) I've had a blue screen.

Any suggestions as I can't afford to replace it at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What computer is it?

Make, model etc? Is it a laptop?

It sounds like it is overheating by the very little we have to go on. A power cable will not fix that if it's the issue, and I would be returning the part to the guy in the computer shop asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ftse100

Reckon it's overheating possibly... Or graphics card problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

kristian12 wrote: »
    The man in pc world told me I needed a new power cable so I bought one but the problem still happens. It doesn't cut out if just browsing the internet

that really is shocking bad advice and you should probably bring back the cable...

First step would be to find the latest driver for your graphics card/chip and install it... Also looking through the Event Viewer | Application Log and System Log might tell you what is causing the problem... This is under Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

What computer is it?

Make, model etc? Is it a laptop?

It sounds like it is overheating by the very little we have to go on. A power cable will not fix that if it's the issue, and I would be returning the part to the guy in the computer shop asap.

Thanks, Its a hp pc bought from pc world about 3 years ago. As to the model I can't remember and don't know how to find out :-(

If it is overheating what can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

that really is shocking bad advice and you should probably bring back the cable...

First step would be to find the latest driver for your graphics card/chip and install it... Also looking through the Event Viewer | Application Log and System Log might tell you what is causing the problem... This is under Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Event Viewer.

Thank you that's very helpful.

I will give pc world a call about the cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

kristian12 wrote: »
    Thanks, Its a hp pc bought from pc world about 3 years ago. As to the model I can't remember and don't know how to find out :-(

If it is overheating what can I do?

Dust been sucked in by the fans can cause this issue. If you can pop the side off and have a peek inside, also look at the fan on the back to see if there is a build up of dust on it.
    A quick going over with the hoover may solve it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 126 ✭✭harrymagina

It could be the power supply is dying or processor is overheating. Download a tool called coretemp and it will tell you the temperature. Monitor it when trying to game.

If you can also open up the case and check for dust.

If its the power supply then a new one will have to be got and fitted. One can be got for 30 euro and plenty of videos on YouTube on how to fit one. Repair shops will charge an arm and a leg. It is easy enough to replace the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

corsav6 wrote: »
    A quick going over with the hoover may solve it.

You have to be careful with using a hoover as it can cause static electricity which would fry your computer if it touches off any electrical components.

Also if hoovering the fan, use a pencil to stop the fan from spinning as the hoover may cause the fan to spin faster than it normally would or in the wrong direction, doing damage to the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Zen 2nd wrote: »
    You have to be careful with using a hoover as it can cause static electricity which would fry your computer if it touches off any electrical components.

Also if hoovering the fan, use a pencil to stop the fan from spinning as the hoover may cause the fan to spin faster than it normally would or in the wrong direction, doing damage to the fan.

Agreed, and I should have mentioned your points in my post.

Advertisement