Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Birthday to the Prohpet Mohammed (PBUH)

• 03-01-2015 6:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Today is the prohpet's birthday.

Other than getting a day of work, I don't know much more than that.

Would any of our Muslim contributors like to share anything with us about the day? Any traditions or observations that go with the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Defender OF Faith

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Today is the prohpet's birthday.

Other than getting a day of work, I don't know much more than that.

Would any of our Muslim contributors like to share anything with us about the day? Any traditions or observations that go with the day?

Day of work? am assuming you live in a middle eastern country, do you see celebrations in the street?

The day of the prophet birth is called the Mawlid, since the prophet himself and his companions after him never celebrated this day or his birthday some scholars and clerics are against celebrating it citing it as an improper innovation, but it still celebrated in many parts of the Muslim world as the majority of Islamic scholars are in favour of Mawlid.

It seems that the celebration differ between the countries based on cultural and traditional differences, where I come from the day is marked by the preparation of special sweets and cakes made only during this occasion, accompanied by poetry sung in praise of the prophet.

Mawlid Celebration is Egypt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKHi79bHNo
    In Sudan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Our local imam recommended that we could fast today, because that's what the prophet (peace be upon him) used to do himself. Beyond that, a lot of scholars object to celebrating the day, because it wasn't celebrated by the prophet or his subsequent followers. I came across a message that said King Muzaffaruddin Ibn Arbal was the first person in history to actually celebrate the day - and that was 630 years after the prophet, so the celebrations are seen as an later innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭AsianIrish

Birthday of prophet Muhammad has been celebrated for thousands of years by pious Muslims. It is only Wahabi Sect (ISIS) which denounce it on all forums. It is a great way to bring people close to Islam and Prophet pbuh. Even prophet Muhammad celebrated his birthday by fasting every Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I will celebrate the prophets, peace be upon him, birthday by holding a small social gathering and making some of traditional food and drinks from my homeland. Also there will be alcohol involved for the more lax Muslims in my social circle. Which has not gone down well with the older generations in my family. Can't please everyone I suppose

AsianIrish wrote: »
    Birthday of prophet Muhammad has been celebrated for thousands of years by pious Muslims. It is only Wahabi Sect (ISIS) which denounce it on all forums. It is a great way to bring people close to Islam and Prophet pbuh. Even prophet Muhammad celebrated his birthday by fasting every Monday.

Thousands of years doesn't really add up when you consider Islam has only existed for around 1400 years. As I said above, I came across a message that said King Muzaffaruddin Ibn Arbal was the first person in history to actually celebrate the day - and that was 630 years after the prophet, so the celebrations are seen as an later innovation.

I'm not sure Wahabi sect = ISIS, but that aside, a lot of non-Wahabi scholars object to celebrating the day, because it wasn't celebrated by the prophet or his subsequent followers.

I have never heard of the prophet celebrating his birthday every Monday by fasting. Do you have any sources to backup that claim?

• Advertisement

I will celebrate the prophets, peace be upon him, birthday by holding a small social gathering and making some of traditional food and drinks from my homeland. Also there will be alcohol involved for the more lax Muslims in my social circle. Which has not gone down well with the older generations in my family. Can't please everyone I suppose

I hope you see the irony in celebrating a prophet's birthday by consuming alcohol... If somebody cares enough about a prophet to mark their birthday, surely they wouldn't mark it by doing something which the prophet explicitly forbade? Unless of course they don't care much about the prophet, and it just becomes an excuse to have a drink.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Did he marry a six year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

theboy1 wrote: »
    Did he marry a six year old?

Quit trolling or you will be banned from the forum.

Thousands of years doesn't really add up when you consider Islam has only existed for around 1400 years. As I said above, I came across a message that said King Muzaffaruddin Ibn Arbal was the first person in history to actually celebrate the day - and that was 630 years after the prophet, so the celebrations are seen as an later innovation.

I'm not sure Wahabi sect = ISIS, but that aside, a lot of non-Wahabi scholars object to celebrating the day, because it wasn't celebrated by the prophet or his subsequent followers.

I have never heard of the prophet celebrating his birthday every Monday by fasting. Do you have any sources to backup that claim?

Birthday of our beloved prophet pbuh is the day for all the Muslims to get together and listen to eulogies, send salutation and sing the song of Islam. I have the proof but as I am new I can't add the link to my post unfortunately

<mod snip>

• Advertisement

But I know even after the proof I have provided above you will still come back and say no it is Shirk, It is Biddah, innovation etc etc.

Well boards.ie is an innovation so do not use it for Islamic discussion either if this is how you will return with your argument.

AsianIrish welcome to the forum.

However, I must ask you to refrain from making excessively long posts. They contribute nothing to the debate and are laborious to read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Asian, it seems like they don't champion freedom of speech here, pm me.

theboy1 wrote: »
    Asian, it seems like they don't champion freedom of speech here, pm me.

Any more of this and I will be removing your access to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭donaghs

But I know even after the proof I have provided above you will still come back and say no it is Shirk, It is Biddah, innovation etc etc.

Well boards.ie is an innovation so do not use it for Islamic discussion either if this is how you will return with your argument.

I've added the bold. That's one of the most sensible things I've read here for a long time. It applies to a variety of "holier than thou" regilious fanantics who always say their interpretation is the true one, and try and impose it on everyone else.

Since the Prophet is the focal point of Islam, its natural that some people would want to celebrate.

Tom Dunne, dis you even read my message???
    Wht did i say, i am new and cant post a link due to forum restrictions. I dis not want to post a long message but forced to do to proof my point. If you want to ban me or any other member it is up to you but i will be gutted as i did not disrespect anyone on here.

Btw, we had a big gathering in Dublin this year on mowlid and Cork. Next year you can join in

Tom Dunne, dis you even read my message???
    Wht did i say, i am new and cant post a link due to forum restrictions. I dis not want to post a long message but forced to do to proof my point. If you want to ban me or any other member it is up to you but i will be gutted as i did not disrespect anyone on here.

Who mentioned banning? Who mentioned disrespect? Stick to the forum rules and there will be no issue.

You do not have to post a long message to prove your point. Copying and pasting reams of text from another website does not prove anything, other the fact that a poster cannot engage in debate and instead has to resort to walls of text to defend a point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 221 ✭✭mollymosfet

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    AsianIrish welcome to the forum.

However, I must ask you to refrain from making excessively long posts. They contribute nothing to the debate and are laborious to read.

Other people can decide for themselves if it is too long to read. I have serious ADHD but I don't have a problem with it - if it's too long I'll skip it or ask to summarise.

Again as a non-muslim I would recommend not telling muslims how best to defend themselves and focus on defending them from islamophobia.

Other people can decide for themselves if it is too long to read. I have serious ADHD but I don't have a problem with it - if it's too long I'll skip it or ask to summarise.

Again as a non-muslim I would recommend not telling muslims how best to defend themselves and focus on defending them from islamophobia.

You are neither a moderator nor a regular on this forum, so you don't get to recommend anything.

No more backseat modding, please. Consider this your first warning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement