Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic assault in Sydney

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

jees, horrible story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Two irish lads fighting at 3am on a saturday morning and alcohol has been ruled out as being an aggravating factor? I find that very hard to believe.

Hope yer man is ok anyway, sad story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

One of them just off the plane from Ireland. I imagine jetlag, heat and dehydration playing contributing factors as well as some alcohol. Hope the guy makes a recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

had to make the front page of the SMH too.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

lg123 wrote: »
    had to make the front page of the SMH too.........

In fairness it's a front page story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Two irish lads brothers fighting at 3am on a saturday morning and alcohol has been ruled out as being an aggravating factor? I find that very hard to believe.

Hope yer man is ok anyway, sad story

Fixed your post. aggravating factor is defined as being 3 times over the driving limit.
    Although none of us know what sparked it, it's a very sad story, I'm sure the brother in prison is torn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The media treatment of it as a king hit pissed me off no-end, as that doesn't appear to be what happened, it seems banging his head on the pavement is the issue.
    It doesn't excuse punching people, but the same could have happened from a push or even a trip, I know when I haven't been around my brothers for a while there is always a bit of horseplay and acting the maggot.

It's tragic for everyone concerned, and I hope that he makes a speedy and full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The media treatment of it as a king hit pissed me off no-end, as that doesn't appear to be what happened, it seems banging his head on the pavement is the issue.

Thats exactly what a King coward punch is, Thomas Kelly died from being punched in the face and banging his head on the Pavement and the Kelly case was a major contributing factor in the change in the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

King hits/coward punches rarely do the damage themselves. It's the bang on the pavement afterwards that usually causes serious brain injury. A push or a trip would not normally do the same damage because the victim would be conscious and would take some protective action (putting the hands out or tucking the chin in to the chest). If they've been knocked out by a punch then they can't.

Terrible situation for the family, especially so far from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Thats exactly what a King coward punch is, Thomas Kelly died from being punched in the face and banging his head on the Pavement and the Kelly case was a major contributing factor in the change in the law.
    Thomas had been talking on his mobile phone when he was punched in the face in an unprovoked attack and fell backwards, hitting his head on the ground, police said

A Coward punch/king hit, is punching someone out of the blue, out of a blind spot AFIK, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_punchi.e not what happened here, there had been some sort of scuffle or horseplay involved, between two brothers before the alleged punch was thrown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

I believe the definition is slightly broader and involves any one-punch knockout, although it's often out of a blind spot. I only base this on media coverage though, and this link:
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/king_hit
    king hit (plural king hits)

(Australia, New Zealand, slang, also used figuratively) A blow intended to incapacitate in one hit, often delivered without warning.  [quotations ▼]
    Synonyms[edit]

A Coward punch/king hit, is punching someone out of the blue, out of a blind spot AFIK, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucker_punchi.e not what happened here, there had been some sort of scuffle or horseplay involved, between two brothers before the alleged punch was thrown.

Lets look at it in a simple context
    Barry, 33, allegedly punched his younger brother in the head on Bayswater Road in Potts Point shortly before 3am on Saturday, causing Patrick to fall backwards and hit his head on the ground.

Was there a punch thrown? Yes.

Did the head hit the pavement? Yes.

True the intention might not the same but the outcome is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Lets look at it in a simple context

he pushed him, what did he expect ? their dads a retired boxer like

Police say CCTV footage appears to show the siblings having a "minor" argument before Patrick pushes his older brother, who reacts by throwing a punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Shockingly sad story. I hope everything turns out ok for all parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

gctest50 wrote: »
    he pushed him, what did he expect ? their dads a retired boxer like

Wow that's some leap you made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Really wishing that he pulls through. Wishing this clan all the best.My thoughts and prayers are with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I punched my brother once, a result of a lot of pent up emotion and various other factors. One punch before friends jumped in and pushed us apart. I am no lightweight but he shrugged it off and wasn't hurt physically.

In another world he could have fallen, hit his head and I could be in jail for the manslaughter of my brother. For the exact same punch.

Its a scary thought, and I have every sympathy for these lads.

If there is any Irish that has availability maybe they could offer assistance. Just even by being there.

gctest50 wrote: »
    he pushed him, what did he expect ?

I'm sure he didn't expect to end up in hospital with a cracked scull.

It an unfortunate situation and I hope to see a full recovery and some common sense if it comes to court. I'm sure there was no malice so no need for the courts to make a show pony out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

According to a daily telegraph article (sorry on my phone so can't link it), yer man has woken from his coma and has been moved from intensive care. Great news in what could have been a tragic ending. Hope it teaches people a lesson about how easy something like this can happen.

• Advertisement

Some great news, he has awoke up and has been removed from ICU. Great news and Godspeed to them.

Advertisement