Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hobbies

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

swimming in the sea, clears the cobwebs away. Feel alive again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's posts like that which make me wish I lived less than an hour and a quarter from the nearest beach! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Golf, a classic motorbike and playing a bit of poker (not online). I'm still fooling myself only the first two are bad for the bank balance.
    syklops wrote: »
    I, too, have identified a need for a non-technical hobby. My job and all my existing hobbies are all technical in nature which requires large amounts of internet based research. Effectively meaning, I spend the bulk of my waking time in front of a computer.

So having taken advice from friends, I bought myself a model air plane kit which I intend to start soon. I'm also considering taking up chess and joining a chess group. I'ts not so much what you do, its the doing of something different.

I'm also open to other ideas.

Fixing up and restoring a classic motorbike did it for me. Its the perfect antidote to the IT job. You get your hands dirty, you'll learn loads about engines, mechanics, electrics, all sorts. Lots of screwing and banging, its physical. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I am in serious need of some actual hobbies other than being online constantly in my spare time. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I am in serious need of some actual hobbies other than being online constantly in my spare time. :o

I'm the same, apart from my twice weekly 5 a side I need something else that's maybe a bit more social, I might give archery a go, there's a nightclass starting in February for 10 weeks I think down where I am.

I'm the same, apart from my twice weekly 5 a side I need something else that's maybe a bit more social, I might give archery a go, there's a nightclass starting in February for 10 weeks I think down where I am.

Yeah archery does look like a lot of fun.

Have you seen that archery tag game? That looks mental:

http://archerytag.com/

Yeah archery does look like a lot of fun.

Have you seen that archery tag game? That looks mental:

http://archerytag.com/

Looks like fun alright, you wouldn't want to get hit in the cohones I'd say tho:), I was asked along only last week by a friend to play some airsoft and I must say it was great fun, it could cost a small bit to get the essentials but you'd be running all over the gaf, great exercise, I was shagged.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Going to the gym as much as I can, and I also plan on buying a bike for getting outdoors a bit more. Going to get a mini home studio set up going and attempt to make some music.

Looks like fun alright, you wouldn't want to get hit in the cohones I'd say tho:), I was asked along only last week by a friend to play some airsoft and I must say it was great fun, it could cost a small bit to get the essentials but you'd be running all over the gaf, great exercise, I was shagged.

Airsoft looks like a mad laugh. Does it hurt much to get hit?

• Advertisement

mrolaf wrote: »
    swimming in the sea, clears the cobwebs away. Feel alive again.

Just out of curiousity on that; can you just go darting in with a pair of shorts on? Or at this time of year would you be in a wetsuit? :confused:

I loved swimming at the beach in the summer, but always had this ridiculous notion in my head that in winter it'd be extremely cold and could do you more harm than good... but I've never heard of anyone actually suffering from anything after half an hour in the sea on a cold morning.

I live about 20 minutes from a beach, so would give that a shot. At this time of year I'd imagine you get a bit of peace too (cos there'd be very few others near you)?

Airsoft looks like a mad laugh. Does it hurt much to get hit?

It doesn't hurt but you'd feel it alright, got hit all over but being hit in the finger is the one I remember most, a bit of a sting but nothing too bad.
    There was only 3 of us and I loved it, the more the better Craic I'd say but I'm not too sure are many people into it, down in cork at least anyway.

It doesn't hurt but you'd feel it alright, got hit all over but being hit in the finger is the one I remember most, a bit of a sting but nothing too bad.
    There was only 3 of us and I loved it, the more the better Craic I'd say but I'm not too sure are many people into it, down in cork at least anyway.

I'm seen some videos on huge airsoft events on YouTube and it looks tremendous fun indeed.

I'm seen some videos on huge airsoft events on YouTube and it looks tremendous fun indeed.

I've seen them too and I agree, it was a great feeling going Rambo style on automatic in an open field, it would be great if there were women into it tho as I'm on the prowl at the moment. Definitly something to consider tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

If Airsoft is anything like paintballing, it would be a brilliant laugh. Myself and a bunch of the lads try to go paintballing at least once every couple of months. You'd be breaking yourself laughing through most of it.

Was awful one time, though. I got shot in the forehead while on "cease-fire" (thus was not wearing the helmet). I actually collapsed screaming from the sting of it. The sting subsided after a few minutes (but my god what a sting). The worst part was that I had what could best be described as a second nose coming out of my forehead for about a week. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭skallywag

Astronomy is a very worthwhile hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

My one regret is giving up on the guitar when I was 19 - I was starting to get really good but once booze and birds kicked in, I put it down for good.

Will dust down my old acoustic and re-string it - probably too old at 29 but one can still dream of being a rock star! :D

Cycling is also a terrific shout

Well if you played guitar up to the age of 19, then its something you can definitely pick up again. You could look at doing some guitar lessons or joining some groups that play music.
    Cycling is a great hobby too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Another shout for cycling here but as someone else mentioned all your clothes become too big for you after a while. I'm down 3.5 stone from February 2014 as a result of cycling and diet change. Once you start you'll soon lose interest in any other hobby.

I would love to take up shooting though it's tough to get started for someone living in an urban area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

veetwin wrote: »

I would love to take up shooting though it's tough to get started for someone living in an urban area.

What county are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

syklops wrote: »
    What county are you in?

North County Dublin but originally from a rural part of Munster. Don't really know anyone in a gun club and I've heard the local gun clubs are not very welcoming to non locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

veetwin wrote: »
    North County Dublin but originally from a rural part of Munster. Don't really know anyone in a gun club and I've heard the local gun clubs are not very welcoming to non locals.

Well for starters head over to Courtlough, should be near to you.

Don't know about gun clubs being unfriendly to non-locals. Most clubs want the membership fee. As with anywhere, it depends a lot on your own attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

What do fellow Gentleman do as a main hobby in their free time and do you guys have any recommendations?

Cheers

What appeals to you? Do you like being active or sedentary in your free time?

If your work is active, maybe a sedentary hobby might suit you or vice versa.

Try something new - clay-pigeon shooting, falconry, astronomy, sudoku, chess, bridge, table-tennis, snooker, swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I play soccer. Had stop playing about 2 years aho because my work hours didn't suit but git back into it in November after changing jobs. I also took up circuit training. 2 classes a week Monday and Friday. Soccer Wednesday and games on Sunday. And we're top of the league so that adds to the fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Like others here, I took up cycling about last year, having commuted infrequently on it over the previous 18 months. Even commuting every day I'm in work has made a difference to my health.

It's very low impact on the body, clears the head quickly and can be a decent workout if you go climbing or pace well on the flat. Relatively low entry point with the bike to work scheme but you'll soon find yourself buying more and more gear :D

Not joined a club as my shifts would see me unavailable for a lot of the weekend rides, might do in the future though.

Advertisement