Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrears calls from PTSB today [was "BA humbug TSB"]

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I am shocked by the attitude of TSB. And the aggressive manner in which they peruse it's mortgage customers who are in arrears and believe it or believe it not they are ringing people today on the 3rd January 2015! Do you know they ring you and leaves message saying its a personnel business call? They need to take a serious look at themselves and who ever authorised staff to work today and ring people in arrears obviously has no idea what they are doing by ringing customers on the first Saturday after Christmas.
    For the record I'm not in arrears but I've spent the last twenty minutes consoling someone on the phone who owes them less than €800. It's a disgrace.
    Shame on you and your tactics!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

bbability wrote: »
    I am shocked by the attitude of TSB. And the aggressive manner in which they peruse it's mortgage customers who are in arrears and believe it or believe it not they are ringing people today on the 3rd January 2015! Do you know they ring you and leaves message saying its a personnel business call? They need to take a serious look at themselves and who ever authorised staff to work today and ring people in arrears obviously has no idea what they are doing by ringing customers on the first Saturday after Christmas.
    For the record I'm not in arrears but I've spent the last twenty minutes consoling someone on the phone who owes them less than €800. It's a disgrace.
    Shame on you and your tactics!

They're bankers.
    Lowest of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Devil's advocate here, they're obliged under provision 9 the code of conduct on mortgage arrears, to notify a person of arrears as soon as possible after they arise.

I know the banks stop collections activities for the 2 week Christmas period. Once this is over its back to business as usual.

Edit, link to a PDF copy of the CCMA:
    http://www.centralbank.ie/publicinformation/Documents/2013%20CCMA.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

source wrote: »
    Devil's advocate here, they're obliged under provision 9 the code of conduct on mortgage arrears, to notify a person of arrears as soon as possible after they arise.

I know the banks stop collections activities for the 2 week Christmas period. Once this is over its back to business as usual.

Edit, link to a PDF copy of the CCMA:
    http://www.centralbank.ie/publicinformation/Documents/2013%2520CCMA.pdf

It doesn't make it right. Most cases people are in arrears for genuine reasons. They're not going to sort it 3 days into a new year after the pressure of Christmas. That's where the 'human element' should kick in. By the way you don't have to be in arrears to receive a call from them twenty times a day. They seem to have an issue with individuals who do not pay their mortgage by direct debit. Banks have to increase the risk for bad debt provision to cover people who have standing orders or by pay other means.
    Back to my main point though I believe they should not be ringing people today. It's still holiday time for a lot of families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

And it's a regular working day for a lot of people.
    Not everyone gets 2 weeks off at xmas.
    Ignoring your problems won't make them go away.

It doesn't make it right. Most cases people are in arrears for genuine reasons. They're not going to sort it 3 days into a new year after the pressure of Christmas. That's where the 'human element' should kick in. By the way you don't have to be in arrears to receive a call from them twenty times a day. They seem to have an issue with individuals who do not pay their mortgage by direct debit. Banks have to increase the risk for bad debt provision to cover people who have standing orders or by pay other means.
    Back to my main point though I believe they should not be ringing people today. It's still holiday time for a lot of families.

Look, plain and simple they have can job to do. Your friend is in a contract to pay back money the back leant them. Under the regulations I posted the bank can get into bother with the central bank if they don't follow the code.

Usually this means a call within the first 3 days, followed up with a letter. Then another letter after 31 days with a standard financial statement. At this point the borrower is entered into the mortgage arrears resolution process (MARP).

There is a set formula that must be adhered to, including the amount of contact and when contact can be made.

I know what you're saying, but can I ask when was your friend's mortgage due to be paid?

• Advertisement

Addle wrote: »
    And it's a regular working day for a lot of people.
    Not everyone gets 2 weeks off at xmas.
    Ignoring your problems won't make them go away.

Seriously guys are you for real!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why are you so taken aback that someone is just doing their job?

Look I get where you're coming from, I really do, but where do you draw the line? Easter? Ramadan? Passover? Birthdays?

There's a 2 week stop on collections activity over Christmas. That finished on 02/01. The bank is owed the money and they are obliged to notify their customer that the payment hasn't been made.

No it's not a nice call to get, but the only way to avoid it is to budget correctly, and if borrowers cannot afford a big Christmas, and don't want collections calls then they need to prioritise what they do with their money and cut back where needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Unless they were rude or aggressive, I don't see any problem here. If the person was in arrears, the sooner they discuss the situation with the bank, they better it will be for them

Here one for all the experts here.. Account is in credit for a number of days for the month. Mortgage is been paid back above amount owed. Because payment does not hit account for 14 days after it's called account flags as been in arrears. Arrears on account were paid off over a year ago.

And whatever religion bread or walk of life you are there is a thing called dignity and respect something which is seriously lacking this industry.
    Chances are the person in the office today has no mortgage an hasn't a clue what most people have indured over the past few years. They're just trained not to have feelings or get involved.
    The human touch is seriously lacking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i feel for your friend. it has to be hard to owe money and be hounded by banks etc and i agree it is tough for them to be doing it a week after christmas.
    but money owed is money owed and to be paid back - pure and simple.

i imagine that some people in the money sector are more humane than others to deal with, but end of the day there are rules to follow and they're doing their job.

Here one for all the experts here.. Account is in credit for a number of days for the month. Mortgage is been paid back above amount owed. Because payment does not hit account for 14 days after it's called account flags as been in arrears. Arrears on account were paid off over a year ago.

And whatever religion bread or walk of life you are there is a thing called dignity and respect something which is seriously lacking this industry.
    Chances are the person in the office today has no mortgage an hasn't a clue what most people have indured over the past few years. They're just trained not to have feelings or get involved.

Can you clarify the first paragraph for me? Are you saying the account been completely free of arrears for over 12 months? Or are saying the account is regularly being paid 14 days after the due date, and there has been no substantial arrears for 12 months?

I'm not sure about PTSB but our accounts don't sit in credit, any over payments go to clear down the capital. I would imagine the same applies for PTSB.

That assumption is nonsense. Odds are that the person going through a list of calls on a Saturday is an ordinary PAYE worker who has gone through the same hardships as the rest of us.

Banks are not there to listen to the sob stories of its customers. Like I said earlier, they are doing your friend a good favour by engaging early with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Breaking news: Business does business.

source wrote: »
    Look, plain and simple they have can job to do. Your friend is in a contract to pay back money the back leant them. Under the regulations I posted the bank can get into bother with the central bank if they don't follow the code.

Usually this means a call within the first 3 days, followed up with a letter. Then another letter after 31 days with a standard financial statement. At this point the borrower is entered into the mortgage arrears resolution process (MARP).

There is a set formula that must be adhered to, including the amount of contact and when contact can be made.

Don't get me wrong I certainly do not encourage people not to pay their debts but my point is there is a time and place to talk. Not the voicemail Saying "this is a personnel business call for Mr or Mrs X". Why can't the bank say who they are? Why isn't that in their code of practice? I hundreds of horror stories I could share here about banks but that's not my objective. My objective is that there is a way to conduct business and in my humble opinion this is not the way. I wonder how much money they collected today? Probably not enough to house a homeless person tonight!

Oh I should explained my background. I was a member of the Board of Directors in one of the most successful Credit Unions in the country until last year when I stepped down and the end of my term hence why I get calls from time to time in matters like the above. I always advise people to contact the Credit Union manager and discuss a budget plan. This person is currently ticking all the boxes from what I see but the bank would want to reset that automatic dialling computer and bring back the human touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If you're going to post here, try not to post such emotive nonsense.

[Unless you have copies of PTSB's "Being Uncaring 101" training module that you wish to share with us all, that is.]

Don't get me wrong I certainly do not encourage people not to pay their debts but my point is there is a time and place to talk.

Would you prefer the bank to call you friend during the week, when they are most likely to be at work? That would be very difficult and potentially embarrassing.

Would you prefer the bank to call you friend during the week, when they are most likely to be at work? That would be very difficult and potentially embarrassing.

Also there is a reason they are not allowed to say where they are calling from in the voicemail, it's got to do with data protection!

Anyone can pick up your phone and dial 171, voicemail is not exactly secure. So instead of leaving a voicemail which could announce your personal financial standing to anybody with the inclination to listen, the message advises it's a personal business call. Is standard practice for finance company's credit departments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

It takes 14 days for the payment to reach the mortgage account? Doesn't sound right.

Bank is permitted to contact Monday to Saturday 9.00am to 9.00pm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't see the issue here. If I missed a mortgage payment I would assume the bank would call me asap and let me know. In fact they did do a few years ago where there was a problem with my wages going into my account. The first I knew of it was when BOI called me.
    This time of the month should be the ideal time for debt collectors as it is soon after the monthly wages go into your bank.
    PTSB is owned by the taxpayer so I would hope that they are doing all that they can to collect on their debtors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I was in arrears for a little bit with them on my mortgage for about the same amount the OP mentioned and they are a pain in the ass with the constant phone calls to the point that I really started loosing the rag on the phone with them. Even started answering the call to tell them to **** off when they asked my name/DOB etc..

I had a payment plan set up with them by direct debit and it was being paid on time every month as was my mortgage but that didn't stop them calling me everyday to ask the same ****ing questions over and over again, to make sure I'd still be paying it in 27 days , 26 days , 25 days...I got on to management and everything and begged them to stop calling me unless there was an issue with my future payments, after a few days it started again. I threatened harassment and even started making a log of the calls.

In work meeting - PTSB calling me , getting out of my car with a screaming two year old - PTSB calling me , Saturday morning lie in - PTSB waking me up calling me...

Advertisement