Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Life in Ennis

• 03-01-2015 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello,
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to meet new people in Ennis? At 39 a lot of female friendships have long been established and it can be challenging to cultivate a fun and genuine social life. There's also the challenge that comes with singledom as many people of this age are in relationships and like to spend time with couples. Interests are film, dance, books and I guess just people in general :)
    Thank you for any advice and a very Happy New Year!

Is making friends after 35 difficult? 19 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    89% 17 votes
    can depend on a number of factors
    10% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I've recently joined Ennis Musical Society, so I'm finding that is a way to meet a few new heads.
    If you're into dancing, then maybe you might consider joining.
    The show (The Wizard of Oz) is on in about 7 weeks, so if you can sing and dance they might still let you join; I'd say you'd have time to catch up.

Have a look at: http://www.ennismusicalsociety.com/contact-us.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭georgem25

Try www.meetup.com
    There are a number of groups in Limerick & Galway if you don't mind travelling. The outdoor pursuits group in Galway often do events in Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Poll is closed so couldnt vote :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Re-opened the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Ellen2 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to meet new people in Ennis? At 39 a lot of female friendships have long been established and it can be challenging to cultivate a fun and genuine social life. There's also the challenge that comes with singledom as many people of this age are in relationships and like to spend time with couples. Interests are film, dance, books and I guess just people in general :)
    Thank you for any advice and a very Happy New Year!

Lovely bunch of people help Clare Crusaders http://clarecrusaders.ie/site/content/running-group Even if you are not interested in the running or cycling clubs associated with it, there are other activities you might have some time to give to, evenings or weekends if you are working. Other organizations also need helping hands and it's a great way to connect with a diverse group and lead to friendships.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Balagan wrote: »
    Lovely bunch of people help Clare Crusaders http://clarecrusaders.ie/site/content/running-group Even if you are not interested in the running or cycling clubs associated with it, there are other activities you might have some time to give to, evenings or weekends if you are working. Other organizations also need helping hands and it's a great way to connect with a diverse group and lead to friendships.

+1 for the Clare Crusaders.

1 piece of advice if you are going to check them out, don't be overawed by some of the people that seem to think themselves boss, some of the parents/leaders are very very pushey (I'm talking the reason you don't go back pushey), just say that you want to check things out and you don't want to commit yet for the first couple of weeks, that way you'll get to meet some of the "normal" people and you'll enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

It depends what you are into. But whatever it is keep trying. If you're into cycling don't settle on one group if you don't click with them, join a different group. You will find people you get on with. In my experience (& I'm saying that as someone who's quite introvert).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

No harm in casting the net a bit wider as well. Ennis is grand but can feel a bit confining if it's your only social outlet. Galway and Limerick are only 45 minutes away. Dublins only €15 each way on dublincoach.ie.

Advertisement