Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Shares vs Loan

Options
  • 03-01-2015 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a question for my own understanding.

Was in the credit union earlier, paid 350 of my loan there reducing the balance to 8,700 from an original 15,000 - have never missed a payment.

I have a balance of 3,000 in savings and for convenience I asked to take 100 from that to save me having to go to a bank.

The girl behind the desk said the system wouldn't let her do it as my loan was greater than savings - anyone heard of this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Yes. Your shares are held as security against the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi all,

Just a question for my own understanding.

Was in the credit union earlier, paid 350 of my loan there reducing the balance to 8,700 from an original 15,000 - have never missed a payment.

I have a balance of 3,000 in savings and for convenience I asked to take 100 from that to save me having to go to a bank.

The girl behind the desk said the system wouldn't let her do it as my loan was greater than savings - anyone heard of this before?
    Standard Practice in every Credit Union i know of anyway.

Its pretty fair in my opinion. as they generally offer pretty good interest rates in comparison to the banks, and they are much more understanding than banks if your in trouble for a short period of time

Advertisement