Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get good leather muzzles quickly?

• 03-01-2015 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hey all!
    I'm looking for 2 leather dog muzzles for staffs (1 male, 1 bitch). I've been looking online all day but the ones I found are either too expensive or they wont arrive for 20+ days and I need them for a training class next Friday. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
    I want one that you can give them treats while their wearing it and preferably one with a strap going up the head as the male will try pulling it off with his dew claw at the beginning (I know he will!) Obviously I would prefer to support local but England would be ok too delivery time wise. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How come you need muzzles for training classes? ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

strange you need them for a training class as it could give the wrong impression to the rest of the class, unless the trainer doesnt want to take risks with off lead training, but then again all dogs should either be with or without muzzles

try Maxi Zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Stoudy

andreac wrote: »
    How come you need muzzles for training classes? ?

No offense but is that really any of your business? Because I don't believe that's an answer to my question LOL

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    strange you need them for a training class as it could give the wrong impression to the rest of the class, unless the trainer doesnt want to take risks with off lead training, but then again all dogs should either be with or without muzzles

try Maxi Zoo

Its a private class, my males fought 2 weeks ago so bringing a trainer in to see what we can do & he would prefer I had muzzles. I didnt even think of maxi zoo & not once did it pop up in my 100 Google searches lol I'll check them out now thanks!

Btw I explained to Polo why muzzle's are needed as he was genuinely trying to help but Andrea's comment just seemed nosey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Stoudy wrote: »
    No offense but is that really any of your business? Because I don't believe that's an answer to my question LOL

But yet you told someone else who enquired the same thing?:rolleyes:

The reason I asked was because it's very strange to muzzle a dog while training them and I don't think a dog would work well while muzzled.

Maxi have them but no shop on their site so cant view them had to ring & ask. Closest shop is Ballincollig so its not ideal....any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Its a private class, my males fought 2 weeks ago so bringing a trainer in to see what we can do & he would prefer I had muzzles. I didnt even think of maxi zoo & not once did it pop up in my 100 Google searches lol I'll check them out now thanks!

Is the trainer coming to you or are you going to them? If it's a private training session I would hope they're coming to you to see the dogs in their own environment, where they'll be more relaxed, and not be overly excited to be in a different environment.

And correct me if I'm wrong but if you are having problems with 2 males, then why are you looking for muzzles for a male and a bitch? I would be seeing what the problem is between the males, rather than include the bitch for now.

I'd rule out getting anything posted from the UK, as most businesses will only be returning to work on Monday and will have possibly have a lot of order to get through. You might have to go with regular plastic baskerville muzzles and just order the ones you want online for later use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Stoudy where are you living so i can recommend a shop

I really didnt want to have to purchase those plastic ones or even the cloth ones but I guess I haven't really gotten much options. Thanks for the help! I'm not going to answer the rest as I dont feel its relevant I was only asking where to purchase muzzles, I have confidence in the trainer I have hired & so I will leave any safety decisions up to him. Thanks for you time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I really didnt want to have to purchase those plastic ones or even the cloth ones but I guess I haven't really gotten much options. Thanks for the help! I'm not going to answer the rest as I dont feel its relevant I was only asking where to purchase muzzles, I have confidence in the trainer I have hired & so I will leave any safety decisions up to him. Thanks for you time!

Just be very careful, you may be confident in your trainer but it's an unregulated industry so there's lots of cowboys out there masquerading as trainers without relevant or up to date qualifications. If they start talking about alpha males, dominance theories or that you are the pack leader - ask for a refund!!

Just be very careful, you may be confident in your trainer but it's an unregulated industry so there's lots of cowboys out there masquerading as trainers without relevant or up to date qualifications. If they start talking about alpha males, dominance theories or that you are the pack leader - ask for a refund!!

He was referred to me by a well known local animal rescue and I have checked out his qualifications from both England & here but thanks for your concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

For plastic ones you'd want a Baskerville and then a Baskerville ultra is the one with the head strap - I've only seen them in PetMania or pet stop though - don't think I've seen one with a head strap in Maxizoo

http://companyofanimals.co.uk/brands/baskerville-muzzles

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

if there is a saddlier harness maker near you he might make muzzles for you .

juniord wrote: »
    if there is a saddlier harness maker near you he might make muzzles for you .

Looking it up now but cant seem to find a link to one that still exists instead it just keeps bringing me on to failteromhat.com & showing me lists of names of ones that used to exist lol
    Could they go by a different name now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

try saddlery in your area

juniord wrote: »
    try saddlery in your area

Legend! Im such a twat! Cheers! Hopefully one will be willing to do it by Fri. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Have you tried your local vets? Many practices stock the company of animals Baskerville ultra muzzles which work very well.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Btw I explained to Polo why muzzle's are needed as he was genuinely trying to help but Andrea's comment just seemed nosey
    I'm not going to answer the rest as I dont feel its relevant I was only asking where to purchase muzzles, I have confidence in the trainer I have hired & so I will leave any safety decisions up to him.

Stoudy, this is a discussion forum.
    Whilst it is expected that people stay on-topic, as long as your enquiry is dealt with too, which it has been, it is perfectly acceptable for people to ask questions and expand on the topic.
    It is not up to you to moderate a thread and dictate how people post. If you had a problem with it, you are meant to report it, not deal with it yourself.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Advertisement