Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Iron & Manganese in Well Water

Options
  • 03-01-2015 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello,
    we live in between Wexford and Enniscorthy and had a well drilled in recent months. The borehole is 160 feet deep. From the outset, the water was brown in colour and we were hoping that it would clear after a few days or weeks. It hasn't. The test results for iron were 2100 ug/L (EU standard, 200ug/L) and Manganese 600 ug/L (EU standard, 50 ug/L). Has anyone had a similar problem and have you solved it?

We expect that we will need a filtration system and so we are looking for recommendations on:

a) A good filtration system
    b) A good supplier

Your help on this would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Iron and Manganese are common to virtually all wells in ireland. Have you tried Shocking the Well with a strong Bleach solution. You will need to get it resolved as it acts like and acid on copper pipe and Cylinders.
    There are a few good Companies and a lot of charlatans out there so do your research before picking one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

-snip-

You'll get tall blue cylinder and its filled with manganese greensand, the water goes in like muck and comes out spotless.

At night when the water isn't being used, it flushes a potassium permangante solution through the green sand to remove the crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Troy2013

We had very high Iron and Manganese in a well we bored last year. We put in a filtration system last winter (after a lot of research!) and our levels are now well below the guideline values permitted so its a very fixable issue.

The first thing you need to establish is if you have dissolved iron or iron particles in your water as this will guide you in which treatment system is best for your particular water. If you haven't had this iron type test done then take a 750ml empty bottle (has to be non-contaminated I think-so not a bottle you drank from& probably easiest and best is an empty water bottle) and take a sample of your water to a lab. We paid about €35.00 for that test and it confirmed what we had thought- our iron was completely dissolved as although it was a brownish colour for the first minute or so of running a tap it ran completely clear once on for a minute or two.

Also, have a look at your water test results and see what other contaminants may be in your water as some systems can be installed that treat a multitude of issues and can save money by being a one fix all type solution.The hardness/softness of the water will also be a deciding factor in the system you choose so make sure you have this information to hand when you make inquiries with filtration companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whiteline

Thank you for replying Sky6. I did a quick check on "Shocking the Well with a strong Bleach" and that solution appears to apply to a bacterial problem. There are bacteria which feed on iron (and produce a slime) but we don't appear to have that at present. The water test results (Nov 2014) show zero for "Presumptive Coliforms" and "Presumptive Escherichia coli". It appears that the bedrock around the borehole contains a high level of iron and manganese and they are now present in water in the borehole.

cronin_j wrote: »
    -snip-

You'll get tall blue cylinder and its filled with manganese greensand, the water goes in like muck and comes out spotless.

At night when the water isn't being used, it flushes a potassium permangante solution through the green sand to remove the crap.

Thanks cronin_j, I gather this is referred to as a "backwash" system; It sounds like it will need ongoing maintenance or at least a change of "greensand" every now and again.

• Advertisement

Troy2013 wrote: »

The first thing you need to establish is if you have dissolved iron or iron particles in your water as this will guide you in which treatment system is best for your particular water. If you haven't had this iron type test done then take a 750ml empty bottle (has to be non-contaminated I think-so not a bottle you drank from& probably easiest and best is an empty water bottle) and take a sample of your water to a lab. We paid about €35.00 for that test and it confirmed what we had thought- our iron was completely dissolved as although it was a brownish colour for the first minute or so of running a tap it ran completely clear once on for a minute or two.

Also, have a look at your water test results and see what other contaminants may be in your water as some systems can be installed that treat a multitude of issues and can save money by being a one fix all type solution.The hardness/softness of the water will also be a deciding factor in the system you choose so make sure you have this information to hand when you make inquiries with filtration companies.

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if its dissolved or in particle form but it is oxidized by the time we see it as the water is red/brown and stains the sinks and toilets. The test results we received didn't specify whether it was dissolved or not so we may need to get a second test done to determine that.

The test results were as follows:

Ammonia 0.04 mg/l NH3-N
    Chloride 19.1 mg/l Cl
    Hardness 26 mg CaCO3/L
    Nitrate <4 mg/l NO3
    Nitrite <0.03 mg/l NO2
    Conductivity 149 uScm
    pH 6.9
    Total Managnese 600 ug/L (Method: ECTM021, Comment: Non Accredited)
    Total Iron 2100 ug/L (Method: ECTM022, Comment: Non Accredited)

I don't know what the methods and comments mean.

Before asking for quotes from water filtration suppliers, I'm trying to get some understanding about the subject from the experience of others who have filtration systems and have had dealings with suppliers. I understand that not much can be said on a public forum about individual suppliers except perhaps by PM (Private Message).

whiteline wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if its dissolved or in particle form but it is oxidized by the time we see it as the water is red/brown and stains the sinks and toilets. The test results we received didn't specify whether it was dissolved or not so we may need to get a second test done to determine that.

The test results were as follows:

Ammonia 0.04 mg/l NH3-N
    Chloride 19.1 mg/l Cl
    Hardness 26 mg CaCO3/L
    Nitrate <4 mg/l NO3
    Nitrite <0.03 mg/l NO2
    Conductivity 149 uScm
    pH 6.9
    Total Managnese 600 ug/L (Method: ECTM021, Comment: Non Accredited)
    Total Iron 2100 ug/L (Method: ECTM022, Comment: Non Accredited)

I don't know what the methods and comments mean.

Before asking for quotes from water filtration suppliers, I'm trying to get some understanding about the subject from the experience of others who have filtration systems and have had dealings with suppliers. I understand that not much can be said on a public forum about individual suppliers except perhaps by PM (Private Message).

I can try dig out and send you the list of suppliers we contacted but we are based in Cork so some may not travel to Wexford.

All the systems we looked at required maintenance and servicing so factor that into the costs of what you install and make sure there is a good person in your area to service that particular filter. Some plumbers may tell you they can do the servicing but in my experience very few actually have the expertise. We eventually opted for a local company (who were a little more expensive) for our filters as we felt we could call on them quickly if there was a problem rather than someone coming from halfway up the country.

I may be corrected on this, but e-coli and coliform tests do not accurately confirm if you have Iron Bacteria in your water or not. If you want a fairly reliable but cheap method to try find out then get a clear jar, fill with water, screw the top back on the jar and leave for 14 days (not in direct sunlight or exposed to extremes of temperature). At the end of the fortnight if the Iron particles have all clumped together then it indicates the presence of Iron Bacteria. I think it can be hard to get rid of but don't have that issue myself thank god!

If your water runs constantly brown then it would be likely that you have iron particles in your water but it may just be oxidizing in your tank. Before you connected the water to the house it is usually pumped for a number of days straight from the Well, did the water run brown then or did it run clear? It may be worthwhile to get the extra test done but if it was always running brown then it does suggest particles of Iron rather than ferrous.

You also have a normal PH in your water so you need to be aware that a system that softens the water using salt (sometimes used to deal with Iron) may alter that PH and make your water more acidic and not as nice to drink. Most good installers will adjust the systems accordingly but just so you are aware of it yourself.

Most of the filters work on the same methodology but it is the media you use which will make the difference. Ecomix seems to be a media that is favoured at the moment with some suppliers as Filox requires more backwashing. Neither were suited to our water but it does seem like Ecomix might be worth researching for yourself.

Only other bit of advise is make sure the timer fitted is digital. Makes for a far easier life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭creedp

I am interested in getting my private well water supply tested. I know I have a hard water issue or more to the point my kettle does! While I am testing for this I want to test for other possible contaminants also and install a treatment systems that deals with them all. I would appreciate advise on best place to get water tested in the north east. Why level of charge should apply for such as service?

Troy2013 wrote: »
    I can try dig out and send you the list of suppliers we contacted but we are based in Cork so some may not travel to Wexford.

All the systems we looked at required maintenance and servicing so factor that into the costs of what you install and make sure there is a good person in your area to service that particular filter. Some plumbers may tell you they can do the servicing but in my experience very few actually have the expertise. We eventually opted for a local company (who were a little more expensive) for our filters as we felt we could call on them quickly if there was a problem rather than someone coming from halfway up the country.

I may be corrected on this, but e-coli and coliform tests do not accurately confirm if you have Iron Bacteria in your water or not. If you want a fairly reliable but cheap method to try find out then get a clear jar, fill with water, screw the top back on the jar and leave for 14 days (not in direct sunlight or exposed to extremes of temperature). At the end of the fortnight if the Iron particles have all clumped together then it indicates the presence of Iron Bacteria. I think it can be hard to get rid of but don't have that issue myself thank god!

If your water runs constantly brown then it would be likely that you have iron particles in your water but it may just be oxidizing in your tank. Before you connected the water to the house it is usually pumped for a number of days straight from the Well, did the water run brown then or did it run clear? It may be worthwhile to get the extra test done but if it was always running brown then it does suggest particles of Iron rather than ferrous.

You also have a normal PH in your water so you need to be aware that a system that softens the water using salt (sometimes used to deal with Iron) may alter that PH and make your water more acidic and not as nice to drink. Most good installers will adjust the systems accordingly but just so you are aware of it yourself.

Most of the filters work on the same methodology but it is the media you use which will make the difference. Ecomix seems to be a media that is favoured at the moment with some suppliers as Filox requires more backwashing. Neither were suited to our water but it does seem like Ecomix might be worth researching for yourself.

Only other bit of advise is make sure the timer fitted is digital. Makes for a far easier life.

Thanks for your offer to provide a list of the suppliers that you contacted but I think that I will need to deal with suppliers in our own area given the need for installation and ongoing maintenance. I will try the test that you suggested for Iron Bacteria just in case we have that problem as well. On the question of the water running clear initially, yes it does but then changes to yellow/brown within a hour or so if left in a glass for example. I should have clarified that.

The next step as I see it will be to contact a few local supplier of water filtration systems and ask them to provide a quote for a system to fix the problems outlined in the test results, specifically the high Iron and Manganese levels. I understand that we will need cost estimates for the initial install and the ongoing maintenance of the system.

Thanks again for your time and your help.

creedp wrote: »
    I am interested in getting my private well water supply tested. I know I have a hard water issue or more to the point my kettle does! While I am testing for this I want to test for other possible contaminants also and install a treatment systems that deals with them all. I would appreciate advise on best place to get water tested in the north east. Why level of charge should apply for such as service?

We're in the Southeast. I would contact some local suppliers (of water filtration systems) by using the Golden Pages or Google for example and get an estimate or ask them who they use for water testing if they don't act as agents. We paid about €100 for what may be a standard set of water contaminants but there may be other more specific/limited tests available with prices to match.

• Advertisement

whiteline wrote: »
    Thanks for your offer to provide a list of the suppliers that you contacted but I think that I will need to deal with suppliers in our own area given the need for installation and ongoing maintenance. I will try the test that you suggested for Iron Bacteria just in case we have that problem as well. On the question of the water running clear initially, yes it does but then changes to yellow/brown within a hour or so if left in a glass for example. I should have clarified that.

The next step as I see it will be to contact a few local supplier of water filtration systems and ask them to provide a quote for a system to fix the problems outlined in the test results, specifically the high Iron and Manganese levels. I understand that we will need cost estimates for the initial install and the ongoing maintenance of the system.

Thanks again for your time and your help.

It's no trouble. I remember being completely overwhelmed when I started looking at Filters myself so glad to pass on the snippets of information I got.

If it is running clear and only colouring after an hour then it is possible that it is ferrous Iron (i.e. totally dissolved in the water coming from the deep borehole and only oxidizing once exposed to air). I would definitely do the test to establish which Iron you do have as the Media used in the filters should be tailored to your particular type of Iron. For instance, if you have dissolved Iron then you could have an oxidizing tank installed pre-filter which would be needed for certain media or you could instal a Crystal Right filter which is a media particularly suited to totally dissolved Iron.

The three most common filter medias used are Filox, Ecomix and Crystal Right. Manganese Greensand is an older type filter media and very reliable but may not suit your PH level.

Suppliers will be well used to the problems your facing and will be able to offer far more advice than me. Hope you get it sorted!

creedp wrote: »

I'm in the South West so can't recommend a Lab near you but price wise we found tests run between €90-€200. €90.00 being for basic enough testing for e-coli, iron, manganese etc. The upper scale then was if you needed detailed testing done.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭doniepony

Hi all,

I have had two separate water analysis tests on my water from a bore well i dug two years ago on a new build. I had to do the second test as I installed a treatment plant in my garage based on the first test results I got back from the installer. Unfortunately after a few attempts by the installer he could not get the manganese from the water. The tiles in the shower have begun to stain and we cannot wash whites in our washing machine as they come out stained.

The second set of test results were basically the same with Manganese levels of 3.896 (78 times higher than normal), low ph of 6.26, and hardness of 176. I think the system that has been installed (but is not working) uses greensand and I am wondering if anyone could advise me why this in not working and if there is something that I could do to help this problem.

Any advice would be appreciated

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nobby Noblet

Hi. You need aeration tanks b4 filtration system. The sludge falls to the bottom of tanks and cleaner water is passed through the filtration system, this enables the system to deal with the water. You need 2x 200 gallon aeration tanks. Birm , crystal right, Filox R , Ecomix media's will do the rest.

Advertisement