Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Luposan joint supplement - any good?

• 03-01-2015 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

My old dog has arthritis in one of his hind legs. He is on Yumove Advanced and is doing alright.

Looking at Luposan on Zooplus, it has good reviews and is alot cheaper than Yumove Advanced.

Just wondering how people find Luposan? Does anyone use it for a dog with really bad arthritis? Did you find that you had to increase the amount of Luposan above the recommended guidelines? (If you did I might aswell stick with Yumove.)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I've been using it 4 years now and find it really good. My dog had angular limb deformity and operations on his back legs - he doesn't need any pain medication since I started him on Luposan. If you're going to try it there's usually free Bosch biscuits if you buy from zooplus.de ;) and I'd recommend then pellets over the powder - just handier to deal with and add to food. I used to give a double dose while he was recovering but just feed then normal dose now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

For anyone checking out joint supplements with green lipped mussel, I got an email back from Zooplus about the amount of mussel in the Luposan Joint Power tablets: '40% mussel extract' = 160mg.

Regular Yumove has 150mg green lipped mussel.

Yumove Advanced has 180mg green lipped mussel.

You could try turmeric if you don't mind preparing it - you have to heat it up and make a paste with water, olive/coconut oil and black pepper. I'm planning on adding it to my dog's diet soon.

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-recipes/how-to-make-turmeric-paste-or-golden-paste

tk123 wrote: »
    You could try turmeric if you don't mind preparing it - you have to heat it up and make a paste with water, olive/coconut oil and black pepper. I'm planning on adding it to my dog's diet soon.

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-recipes/how-to-make-turmeric-paste-or-golden-paste

Never heard of that before for dogs.

Ah no, he is doing well on the Yumove - just thought if Luposan had a higher green lipped mussel content I could switch as it seemed alot cheaper.

Also he is 12 years old so transitioning over to something new could take a number of weeks before it worked and I don't want to put him through that.

tk123 wrote: »
    You could try turmeric

I got an email from viovet.co.uk advertising a new joint supplement made by them called 'Joint Force'. Turmeric is one of the ingredients along with green lipped mussel. If the supplement works its not bad value - nearly half the price of Luposan and Yumove.

Active ingredients per tablet:

Glucosamine HCL 250mg
    Green Lipped Mussel 150mg
    MSM 100mg
    Boswellia Serrata 40mg
    Turmeric 25mg
    Ascorbic acid 12.5mg
    Manganese 2mg
    Hyaluronic acid 2mg
    Vitamin E 0.5mg

http://www.viovet.co.uk/Joint_Force_for_Dogs/c23775/

• Advertisement

Turmeric needs to be cooked and in a paste with pepper and oil for it to be absorbed from what I've read online so I don't know how much of a difference it'd made. I'm going to make some this weekend and start them on it - I'm on a FB group and the stories on it about the difference it makes to people and pets is amazing.

The Luposan works for us so I've stuck with it along with Flexicose - he has no stiffness or pain and amazes any vet we've met when I tell them he's not on any pain meds at all. I buy the flexicose a box at a time and when it's running out I always go looking for an alternative but then decide to stick with it.

BTW you're better off staggering the dose if possible over the course of the day instead of giving one big dose. I give one in the morning and one in the evening and found it worked better.

I suppose each of the joint supplements have slightly different ingredients so not one will work for all dogs.

They say Green Lipped Mussel is the main ingredient - Luposan, Yumove and Joint Force have all similar amounts. Who knows that combination with the Turmeric might be very effective.

Comparing the prices Joint Force would be half the price of Yumove Advance and Luposan tablets but around the same as regular Yumove. (Large containers of Luposan pellets should be cheaper again.) I don't need any at the moment so will wait and see what the reviews are like.

(I do that aswell - 1 supplement in the morning and 1 supplement late afternoon. It does make a difference that way alright.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hope it's ok to bump this, didn't see the point to start a new thread.

Currently coming to the end of the box of Glucosamine and looking into getting a supplement like Yumove/Luposan etc... I've no idea which one to choose. Wouldn't be put off by oils either.

They're for a 4yr old GSD X who had TPLO in June. He's had a great recovery but i'd still like to give him something regularly (as well as glucosamine) to aid with stiffness and future arthritis etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi there,

I use the luposan pellets (the higher concentration) along with a table spoon of salmon oil each day and my guy who's 10.5 is doing really well.. He does have some shoulder issues and is now back to 100% joint health.. I get them both through zoo plus.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I use the luposan pellets (the higher concentration) along with a table spoon of salmon oil each day and my guy who's 10.5 is doing really well.. He does have some shoulder issues and is now back to 100% joint health.. I get them both through zoo plus.ie

Thanks for that :)

Does he eat the pellets no bother? My fella is a fussy eater unless it's straight up meat related haha.

Also, is there any particular brand of salmon oil you'd recommend? There seems to be a few different ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Léan wrote: »
    Thanks for that :)

Does he eat the pellets no bother? My fella is a fussy eater unless it's straight up meat related haha.

Also, is there any particular brand of salmon oil you'd recommend? There seems to be a few different ones.

Yes there no issues with him eating them, i just mix them in with his nuts and salmon oil and hes' good to go..

here's are the two i get!

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129097

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

:D

Advertisement