Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netweather US Storm Chase SALE

Options
  • 03-01-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to edit / delete if against rules..

I thought i'd let my fellow storm addicts know the NetWeather team have a sale on for 2015 10 day chase in the states (12 days including travel days) .

Just go to weatherholidays.com then click on Tornado Alley.

I am most likely going for my 3rd time this June and would highly recommend it ! I'll be on tour 4 if all goes well. :)

If anyone is interested or wants to know more about the tours feel free to message me. It be great to get some more Irish folks on the chase :D

Some fun from my last trip out in 2012 :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Hi Ian, I would definitely be interested.I would have to save for a few months though so I would prob miss out on this sale/year.
    It was discussed on the forum previously regarding a DIY tour if we could get a few people
    Do you think its feasible? Obviously we would be relying on your previous experience.
    Rent a jeep,some satellite equipment etc.It would certainly make it more affordable for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hi Ian, I would definitely be interested.I would have to save for a few months though so I would prob miss out on this sale/year.
    It was discussed on the forum previously regarding a DIY tour if we could get a few people
    Do you think its feasible? Obviously we would be relying on your previous experience.
    Rent a jeep,some satellite equipment etc.It would certainly make it more affordable for people.

If it would be of any help the Netweather guys usually accept payment plans too , just contact them for more info :) . I done that my 2nd time round and is was alot better that way for me.

It certainly would be cheaper to organize it independently with a group but tbh i wouldn't feel as confident without the gear and experience the NW team have. From Reliable laptops with 3/4G internet access , GRlevel3 ( storm data application ) subscription, to years of knowledge of storm behaviour and setups in the states , also good knowledge of terrain in up to 7/8 states.

I would though , take up the idea of a mainland Europe chase. Those supercells that tore through Germany last summer were agonizing to watch on webcams! ha

Would be difficult to get timings right in Europe but if you want to progress this idea I would be on for it.When are thinking? Late summer? A meetup group on meetup.com could be useful to organize.
    I will look more into the payment options and if its feasible for me this year .I will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Also folks, keep in back of minds that there will be a total eclipse of the Sun visible at mid-day in the northwestern and central United States in August 2017. I will post more details about this during the spring and summer of 2015 so that interested persons can plan a trip that might include other scenery and weather related items of interest (not a commercial application, just some friendly advice).

Thankfully I don't drive because id be the car in front :P

mdsO8zd.gif

lets-do-this.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

My hope is to see a tornado this coming year, despite being quite close to at least three over a lifetime, have never actually seen one, just dangling funnel clouds trying to become F0's but that's nothing much. However, have seen damaging winds on at least half a dozen occasions and large hail twice. Probably will head for the Dakotas and Nebraska area in June, as I like to camp and the nights are warmer (although if you're storm chasing you should be in warm air most of the time I suppose).

Well my chances of seeing something better than pea sized hail and a couple flashes of lightening are certainly increasing.I have booked a spot on Tour 4.
    Sure maybe we can hook up with you at some stage in June M.T,would be great to meet the man who has provided my daily weather forecast for the past number of years!!
    Ian did ye come close to any twisters on the previous tours or was the supercells the highlight?
    I'll prob crap my pants when (if) I see a real life tornado ;)

Great to have another bit of Irish blood added to the group!

You never know Peter , we may indeed cross paths watching a HP supercell roll across the hills of SD!

2011 - Tour 3 - 5 Tornadoes , including a nearly 1/2 mile wide wedge!
    2012 - Tour 4 - 1 Tornado but the storm structures and lightning displays made up for it that year!

And heres the wedge from 2011 ;) Go to 29.30

Some photos down the end of my page here too from both trips :)
    https://500px.com/Landscapeaddict

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

What's the general feeling/prediction about this years activity ?? (strong el nino) Was reading up and some predict it to be a very strong tornado season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'd love to give this a try but simply cannot afford it this year. What additional costs have to be stumped up in addition to the N/W ones, i.e. connecting flights, accomodation etc??

• Advertisement

I'd love to give this a try but simply cannot afford it this year. What additional costs have to be stumped up in addition to the N/W ones, i.e. connecting flights, accomodation etc??

Ian might answer this better than I but just to say Netweather are fairly flexible with regard to payment of their costs (can pay over a few months) and it includes accommodation.

weatherholidays.com/faq.html

weisses wrote: »
    What's the general feeling/prediction about this years activity ?? (strong el nino) Was reading up and some predict it to be a very strong tornado season

Haven't looked into it much myself yet because im don't know yet if im going 100% this time round , wont know till March.
    But yeah you never know really , it could be a strong year for tornadoes but then again it could all kick off in early April like one or 2 years . Its all part of the risk really , you have to be in it to win it! :cool:

Yeah as IamNotNumber said it includes accommodation , so you'd need flights and spending money ( depending on if you drink or not it can be real cheap for food and that for the 12 days ) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

It's very tempting
    So you book your own flights ?
    Do people usually go on the same one over?

You might do the Denver one Ian,love to go to Colorado but it's not the best tornado spot or is it?
    I couldn't see an exact itinerary

I was on tour 4 2012 ( Starting point Denver )
    Saw 1 tornado that chase and epic lightning storms and structure

2011 i was on tour 3 ( DFW Start point )
    Saw 5 tornadoes that chase .

Tbh it all depends on the types of systems moving through , you could get back luck in either location and get high pressure :(

Or you could of been on any of the tours last year and 2 or more on each with tour 4 getting 8!! Its risky but well worth it in the end imo.

Its too dear imo flying to london to then get the one way flight from there all the way over , i usually go via Newark . Return flight usually works around around €750 .

A friend of mine from cork is a team member on tour 3 , hes the techie, goes from cork to heathrow and gets the direct from there. Its better in dublin though because you get pre clearance in T2 now instead of having to go through it in the US .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭numilus cimbus

Cool I'll think about it
    I don't mind going through London as you'll be connecting anyway if you fly directly to the states from Dublin
    Dallas is a long way from New York
    Whereas it's direct from London as is Denver
    Also immigration is automated at Dallas for esta travellers (all Irish passports) now,you scan passport, confirm details, fingerprints etc all by machine, it's very quick
    You'd get fares a lot less than 750!

Ok it would be disappointing to not see a tornado that's a risk but not a waste

You'd get fares a lot less than 750!

Id be surprised if you got under €700 tbh...

Mandatory viewing before going over there :D

The sad day when we lost team Twistex :(

Iancar29 wrote: »
    The sad day when we lost team Twistex :(

Indeed .. And the guys in the video were experienced as well and nearly caught by this monster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Also folks, keep in back of minds that there will be a total eclipse of the Sun visible at mid-day in the northwestern and central United States in August 2017. I will post more details about this during the spring and summer of 2015 so that interested persons can plan a trip that might include other scenery and weather related items of interest (not a commercial application, just some friendly advice).

Planning on going to the US to see the eclipse and other stuff in 2017 so this will be of interest.

Maybe year later a tornado chase...presuming I'm still alive. One only lives once so will try and catch as much variety of it as possible.

• Advertisement

Just to update the thread I had to leave this trip till hopefully next year.
    Best of Luck to Ian and anyone who does go ..loadza pics & reports please!!

wait till ye see this video, guy almost sitting in tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGmJCB0x21s#t=107

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Jake1 wrote: »
    wait till ye see this video, guy almost sitting in tornado

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGmJCB0x21s#t=107

What a lucky escape:eek:

Yeah saw that the other day... very stupid indeed. Could have just kept backing up considering winds increase if you are under a bridge. Hes lucky to be alive.

Advertisement