Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

injured calves

• 03-01-2015 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

need some help, has anybody got tricks or info to keep your calves, in good working order. in work im on my feet a lot and I come from a weightlifting background, so im finding my large calves get solid during long runs. I try to stretch and roll them out as mush as I can. people have told me hydration is important , as your calves can be the first place to cramp up. any advice would be a help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

need some help, has anybody got tricks or info to keep your calves, in good working order. in work im on my feet a lot and I come from a weightlifting background, so im finding my large calves get solid during long runs. I try to stretch and roll them out as mush as I can. people have told me hydration is important , as your calves can be the first place to cramp up. any advice would be a help.
    Shud dis not be in the farming section....

Try drinkin some tonic water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Take them to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

I have the same problem. Keep stretching and foam rolling is about all you can do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

When I was recovering from a calf/ankle injury I found epsom salt baths very good. Also doing heel raises to strengthen them and foam rolling and stretching as already mentioned.

Also probably important to look at your running background and training, have you increased mileage all of sudden? Whats your footwear like for running?

Take care with the calf muscles as they can hard to recover from if you get a bad injury

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

Oh yeah, meant to say that also - concentric calf raises, loads of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

compression socks.

end of story.

sorted all my calve issues.

and get good ones - ones that cost at least 20 - 30 euro - not the 5e ones in Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Being from a weightlifting background, any chance your calves are defined? They could be hypertonic (big word not that much an issue). Just means that your muscles are always switched on so to speak and thus don't tend to work as efficiently/fatigue quite quickly.

As mentioned, foam rolling and stretching can work very well. Compression socks are also great, and find someone who can apply Kenisio tape to the area too.

I would also advise going to a good sports massage therapist. They can get in deeper than with a foam roller and sort out problems that may be under the superficial muscles of the calf which a foam roller tends to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 onlyonelarson

vigos wrote: »
    When I was recovering from a calf/ankle injury I found epsom salt baths very good. Also doing heel raises to strengthen them and foam rolling and stretching as already mentioned.

Also probably important to look at your running background and training, have you increased mileage all of sudden? Whats your footwear like for running?

Take care with the calf muscles as they can hard to recover from if you get a bad injury

thanks for the advice , ill try the Epsom salts. I had just bought the asics nimbus 15, as I find them cushioned during the run. I have mostly done triathlons so the Olympic distance was the longest I ran for. I have done training runs up to 20k but that was it. I have signed up to do the Madrid rock and roll half marathon so im trying to get more milage in.thanks for the advice.

thehamo wrote: »
    Being from a weightlifting background, any chance your calves are defined? They could be hypertonic (big word not that much an issue). Just means that your muscles are always switched on so to speak and thus don't tend to work as efficiently/fatigue quite quickly.

As mentioned, foam rolling and stretching can work very well. Compression socks are also great, and find someone who can apply Kenisio tape to the area too.

I would also advise going to a good sports massage therapist. They can get in deeper than with a foam roller and sort out problems that may be under the superficial muscles of the calf which a foam roller tends to work.

thanks mate for the advice. I spent most of my younger years, trying to build my calves up and now the are causing problems. they are 20 inches and during triathlons are like anchors in the water and during the runs can tighten up.i have been using a tens machine all week and I have found it has helped alot. I have booked in to get a therapist to look at them .I have raced with compression socks on and off and still get the same results. thanks for the help

Rantan wrote: »
    compression socks.

end of story.

sorted all my calve issues.

and get good ones - ones that cost at least 20 - 30 euro - not the 5e ones in Lidl.

have the compressport ones, for me the jury is out if they make a difference during running , but they have helped my recovery. cheers for the advice

• Advertisement

have the compressport ones, for me the jury is out if they make a difference during running , but they have helped my recovery. cheers for the advice

same as,,,I actually only use them for recovery for anything >10m, they have been a massive help..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

so you just wear the socks after a run?

IvoryTower wrote: »

yes - especially after my sunday long run - I generally get out in the morning and then keep them on for the rest of the day after I;ve stretched, showered etc
    after mid week medium runs I try and wear them for a couple of hours before bed, sitting in front of tv etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

will try that thanks

IvoryTower wrote: »
    yea but only if my calves are sore. I wore them all day after I hurt them as I was working nights and was walking( well limping )all night.

Advertisement