Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering moving to kilkurly outside Dundalk

Options
  • 03-01-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Looking for some advice. We are considering moving to kilkurly co Louth close to Dundalk to be closer to family in carrickmacross. We are also looking at other options around Dundalk. My other half will be commuting to Dublin airport and I will commute to baggot street in Dublin 3-4 days a week. We are looking for info on the area what it's like to live in, what the national school is like, what the broadband situation is like that far out of town etc. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A very rural area. No village as such. The local school is excellent and a decent size. Access to the motorway is good. Broadband generally is poor but Kilkerley (as it is known locally. Kilkurly is only non maps) is a very big area and some spots are better than others. The parish has a good active community if you are that way inclined. Gaa, badminton, brownies, bowls etc are are good clubs locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Kilkerley is out the Carrickmacross road from Dundalk (R178).
    Kilcurry is out the Armagh road from Dundalk (R177).

If you're commuting to Dublin, it is worth noting that neither of those roads have easy access to the M1; Junction 16 is just off the Ardee road(N52), junction 17 is on the Castleblayney road (N53), and Junction 18 is on the Newry road (what was the old N1)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Colleague from work lives in Kilkerley and was unable to get into Dundalk before 10am on the frosty morning we had last week (the M1 was treacherous that morning too). Something to bear in mind if you have to commute from there towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Kilkerley is easily accessible to the M1 via the junction 17 exit via both the rathmore and greyacre roads AND (depending on where exactly u are in kilkerley) the Ardee (16??exit) via the little mills.

Kilkerley is out the Carrickmacross road from Dundalk (R178).
    Kilcurry is out the Armagh road from Dundalk (R177).

If you're commuting to Dublin, it is worth noting that neither of those roads have easy access to the M1; Junction 16 is just off the Ardee road(N52), junction 17 is on the Castleblayney road (N53), and Junction 18 is on the Newry road (what was the old N1)

I don't agree on the access to the motorway. The castleblayney exit is less than 6 minutes from deepest kilkerkey and 2 minutes from other parts oif kilkerley.

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    Colleague from work lives in Kilkerley and was unable to get into Dundalk before 10am on the frosty morning we had last week (the M1 was treacherous that morning too). Something to bear in mind if you have to commute from there towards Dublin.

He was spinning a yarn there. It was nothing like that here last week. I was all through kilkerley and inniskeen. It had a few icy patches but nothing bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I don't agree on the access to the motorway. The castleblayney exit is less than 6 minutes from deepest kilkerkey and 2 minutes from other parts oif kilkerley.

That's six minutes in the wrong direction if you're heading to Dublin!

I was really referring to the fact that there's no access junction on the Carrick Road itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I was really referring to the fact that there's no access junction on the Carrick Road itself.

but that's the point! Kilkerley is not just out the carrick road. Its out the blayney road too and easily accessible to to town and M1.

That's six minutes in the wrong direction if you're heading to Dublin!

I'm in Kilkerley right now and would be at the M1 before I'd go under it via the Carrick Rd. Kilkerley is mostly not on the Carrick Rd. It covers a huge area - including the houses within 100mt of the MI. Even from the extreme of the parish furthest from the M1 you can access Dundalk South exit in under 10 minutes. It took me longer to get to the motorway yesterday from the Point Road!

Advertisement