Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best floating fly line

Options
  • 03-01-2015 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Any suggestions for the best floating fly line on the market? I used to have a Rio Gold but damaged it and I was wondering was there any as good or better. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I suppose it'll really come down to personal preference. I use the Cortland brand. Found it to be better than any one I've had before. Durability is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

I've used nothing but Barrio lines for the past 4-5 years. Fairly cheap, low memory, durable (2-3 seasons of hard use), etc

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Cortland 444
    The best....
    mikeweed wrote: »
    Any suggestions for the best floating fly line on the market? I used to have a Rio Gold but damaged it and I was wondering was there any as good or better. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

+1 for barrio will the do same if not better than the more expensive lines for 1/2 the price

Order direct from them I don't think they sell in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

What about rio lines? I use Rio gold On my floater lines on my two 4 weights, Even though there expensive I think there great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 audam

Scientific anglers gpx is a good line.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Thanks for replies, I had Rio Gold and found it excellent but in a moment of fishing rage, I got leader caught up in reel and with one quick pull the leader cut through the cover of the line, destroying it. I was out over the weekend for the first time this year and my cheap replacement floating line was doing a great impression of a sink tip, the top 4-5 feet were down about a foot in the lake. Rio i think is about €70ish but worth it, I have read great reviews of Airflo and Snowbees but like you said its all down to personal preference. Maybe i will stick with Rio and leave the temper at home....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I have Rio Gold floater on two rods(5wt,6wt) and its class, far better than cortland 444. I have a Snowbee XS 7wt floater and its surprisingly good. Hardy has been crap and havnt got round to the other brands. Rio number 1 for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

+1 for Barrio, fantastic lines with free worldwide postage

Advertisement