Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whey Protein drink advise

• 03-01-2015 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone can advise me on some sports drinks/protein drinks.
    I'm female and I do quite a bit of running, cycling and strength training. I'm at it 5 days a week and feel a bit run down of late, I don't eat much meat at all and won't either. I have been advised by a Doctor to get more protein in so am thinking a protein drink would be best way.
    I'm afraid with these drinks it might make me gain weight or something?
    Can someone advise me on
    When it's best to take protein and benefits of taking this drink when training etc?
    Much appreciated

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Shortly after your exercise - was at a training seminar by a top cycling coach recently and he said his view was some chocolate milk within 30 minutes of finishing your effort was all that was required to replenish your protein

You're not going to be putting weight on through a few protein drinks if you are exercising. It's only if you are already eating too much that you would need to worry on that front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Shortly after your exercise - was at a training seminar by a top cycling coach recently and he said his view was some chocolate milk within 30 minutes of finishing your effort was all that was required to replenish your protein

I honestly think this is one of the biggest myths in the health and fitness industry, aka the so called 30 minute window of opportunity. I know there's probably thousands of studies to prove its worth that you could throw at me, but from my own experience and the experiences of several others I know who also train hard regularly and supplement protein, its BS.

In truth it was probably created by supplement companies :D, makes sense to put lots of marketing money behind the theory, successfully brainwashes the vast majority of people that they need to consume protein within approx 30 minutes, boom before you know it you're forking over 50 quid for a tub of protein instead of just actually getting a proper well balanced meal in.

Just to be clear I'm not against supplementing protein, I do so myself, great for convenience, but im just against the asap after training theory, Its exaggerated, come to think of it even the IF diet knocks it on its head.
    When it's best to take protein and benefits of taking this drink when training etc?

imo and its going against the grain as obviously highlighted above :), simply put id just focus on actually meeting your daily protein requirement, rather than the actual timing of it.
    I'm afraid with these drinks it might make me gain weight or something?

The only thing that will make you gain weight is a surplus of calories, increasing your protein intake will do wonders for you and your diet.

Eggs, fish etc do you eat those often ? great sources of protein. One of the other key advantages of red meat is iron, you could be short of that too in your diet, symptoms are similar to what you described e.g run down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭kc83

I don't eat much fish, or meat. I eat fish once a week if even, but red meat and chicken , very little. I do eat eggs....probably one egg a day.
    I tend to have a smoothie and egg for breakfast, for lunch a salad and for dinner something maybe like fish with sweet potatoe, veg stir fry, or coconut and veg soup.
    Im Wheat free so I suppose I'm careful about what I put in to my body also.
    Any suggestions on good meals for training also welcome.
    my aim I suppose is to recover better after workouts and cycles etc , the next day I usually feel quite wrecked physically.
    Thanks for replies

Advertisement