Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old rusty Jeep

Options
  • 03-01-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

I have an old Hilux jeep - 1988 .

Imported from UK about 15 years ago.

I never did the MOT on it - used it on the farm.

Everything working 100%, and chassis good. But there is some rust on it - quiet a lot.

I was thinking of putting it back on the road.

If I fail the MOT due to rust, which I probably will do, can I just get a repair job done on it - filler etc.

Or is there a certain limit of rust / filler the MOT will allow before they say it will not be allowed to pass, due to too much rust / filler

thanks,
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I don't know what the MoT regs are, perhaps you could search under NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

For mot, if it fails with rust, it will need to be welded and not painted / covered until the mot inspector has seen it.

Filler/ fibreglass would be no good on structural parts.

Best thing to do is have someone who knows mot/nct take a look, and get welding / fillers done before test, as you will prob get rid of the problems/hide them before the test.

Remember, if you want a lasting job, you will want to get all the old rust cut it and repaired, plus add protection against future rusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If it's a commercial and fails on rusty chassis, an engineers report on the repairs will also be needed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Keep it on the farm, or sell it to someone on the Islands, they don't need DoE/NCT's there AFIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

Most panel beaters do restoration work. So they would be best to advise on whats needed when they see it.

Advertisement