Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 brides!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyone going to the Glitter Studio in CHQ this weekend? I have a ticket for Sunday, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 poledancer

Thanks Andreac for the advice I'll have a look and see when they are both playing next and we'll go and see them :) ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Anyone going to the Glitter Studio in CHQ this weekend? I have a ticket for Sunday, and I'm looking forward to seeing what's on offer.

I went today. It was amazing. I didn't expect that at all. It's totally different to any of the other fairs I've been to. So pretty, just pretty stuff everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hello!

I'm getting married in March 2016 in Las Vegas.

We just booked our flights there today and I only have one person to share it with outside my OH because it's a secret. The only people who know are my SIL and a friend of my OH. So I thought I'd share with all you internet strangers!

I haven't picked a Chapel yet and not sure how to approach the ceremony because it's just the 2 of us and neither of us is particularly sentimental and not at all religious.

I went today. It was amazing. I didn't expect that at all. It's totally different to any of the other fairs I've been to. So pretty, just pretty stuff everywhere

It must be me so, I went and I was very disappointed. I expected more suppliers, I found most of the prices to be slightly higher than the average.

e.g. buttonholes for €25 or pew ends from €20

MIN2511 wrote: »
    It must be me so, I went and I was very disappointed. I expected more suppliers, I found most of the prices to be slightly higher than the average.

e.g. buttonholes for €25 or pew ends from €20

One fab day wouldn't typically have supplier who are below average. Its always the high end stuff. I just loved the ideas and the inspiration. The workshop on styling was really cool too

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭SecretBride

Morning! Thought I'd join in with things here....we got engaged 3 weeks ago and we are planning a surprise wedding in January...

Already got a load of stuff sorted, today is photographer day!!

Dying to have a look through all the posts for inspiration ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

One fab day wouldn't typically have supplier who are below average. Its always the high end stuff. I just loved the ideas and the inspiration. The workshop on styling was really cool too

I got a few ideas too but I did think it was small - now we have all our major suppliers booked so it was only decor I was looking for, so that was ok. I got there at one and was done by 2 so skipped out on the 330 styling workshop, I looked in on an earlier one and it seemed ot be mainly a video - but sounds like I made an error there!

Everything was lovely tho, really nice. maybe too vintagey/pinteresty but would rather that than some of the traditional slightly tacky stuff you see so often

Hello!

I'm getting married in March 2016 in Las Vegas.

We just booked our flights there today and I only have one person to share it with outside my OH because it's a secret. The only people who know are my SIL and a friend of my OH. So I thought I'd share with all you internet strangers!

I haven't picked a Chapel yet and not sure how to approach the ceremony because it's just the 2 of us and neither of us is particularly sentimental and not at all religious.

We are also getting married in secret and other than 2 friends and my OH nobody will know until we spring the surprise.....it's killing me already and I still have 11 weeks to go lol!

Would you consider one of the Elvis chapels there? We were witnesses for friends a few years ago and there was just 4 of us there....it was really good fun and because there were only 4 of us they didn't want to use a hotel chapel which would have seemed really empty. We had a great day finished off with dinner in the restaurant at the top of the Strat Tower at sundown which was fab. Other than that all of the hotels have chapels you can use but remember that you need to get your license sorted if it's a 'real' wedding there with no legal ceremony here :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Would you consider one of the Elvis chapels there? We were witnesses for friends a few years ago and there was just 4 of us there....it was really good fun and because there were only 4 of us they didn't want to use a hotel chapel which would have seemed really empty. We had a great day finished off with dinner in the restaurant at the top of the Strat Tower at sundown which was fab. Other than that all of the hotels have chapels you can use but remember that you need to get your license sorted if it's a 'real' wedding there with no legal ceremony here :-D

We have to go with one of the chapels because we don't have any witnesses so can't do it at the Office of Civil Marraiges. I'm thinking about Wee Kirk but just something simple. Neither of us are very sentimental. Also looking at some of the weddings on Youtube, it's looks totally awkward because Elvis just kind of serenades both of you.
    If it were up to me, I'd throw back a couple of Margaritas and just go with the flow of a crazy Vegas style wedding but my OH is adamant that we are both sober for the ceremony.

Are you guys going to do a big surprise announcement?

I'm not sure how to handle telling people. We have to keep it secret because my OH is American and he doesn't want his family to feel like they weren't included in the wedding because they could obviously easily make it to Vegas. But then what about my family, they couldn't fly from Ireland and so on and so on. The joys of international relationships!! We're doing a big surprise for his family on the weekend after the wedding but I'm not sure about my family....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭emzibob

Ladies I'm doing up the text for my invites, How long before the big day do you ask for your R.S.V.P. replies to be sent? THANKS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Its really up to yourself.
    Im giving 5 weeks. But have been sent invites with 2+months RSVP dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I said yes to the dress today!! I went in by myself to this shop. The Dress is nothing at all like the original idea in my head (lace across the collar) or like what I was trying on after my first few dresses (fit and flare with straps). It's a beautiful, classic strapless a-line dress in a gorgeous champagne colour. Put down my deposit today, I can't wait to go back and show my bridesmaids :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

emzibob wrote: »
    Ladies I'm doing up the text for my invites, How long before the big day do you ask for your R.S.V.P. replies to be sent? THANKS!!

Emzibob, I regretted putting this as a fixed text. My Mam had a reserve list of neighbours etc who had invited her to their daughter's wedding which she wanted to use if I had free spaces. So once I got back enough No Rsvps I wanted to send out another lot of invites but had to get them reprinted ($$$!) as the RSVP date on the originals would make it Obvious this person was being invited in the 'second wave' I'm not trying to start a conversation about the rights and wrongs of second waves (please let's not start that old chestnut up again in here :eek: just pointing out that if you do think you'll do second wave then leave the RSVP by: _____ a blank that is filled in manually

Emzibob, I regretted putting this as a fixed text. My Mam had a reserve list of neighbours etc who had invited her to their daughter's wedding which she wanted to use if I had free spaces. So once I got back enough No Rsvps I wanted to send out another lot of invites but had to get them reprinted ($$$!) as the RSVP date on the originals would make it Obvious this person was being invited in the 'second wave' I'm not trying to start a conversation about the rights and wrongs of second waves (please let's not start that old chestnut up again in here :eek: just pointing out that if you do think you'll do second wave then leave the RSVP by: _____ a blank that is filled in manually

Thanks Sticky! I was thinking of putting it about six weeks before the wedding but as I'm doing the invites myself I might leave some of them blank...another thing to think about! were still not 100% on the guest list so might need a few extra invites, the guest list has been the hardest part of the whole wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Hi Everyone. I'm March 2016. So far though I haven't registered with Joyce House. I am having a church wedding. Do all churches require the marriage course or does it depend on the priest? We've been together 12 years, living together for 9 and have 3 children! Am I leaving it too late to make the appointment to go register our intent to marry?

pampers1 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. I'm March 2016. So far though I haven't registered with Joyce House. I am having a church wedding. Do all churches require the marriage course or does it depend on the priest? We've been together 12 years, living together for 9 and have 3 children! Am I leaving it too late to make the appointment to go register our intent to marry?
    When you say church wedding - catholic?

http://gettingmarried.ie/pages/index.php

I don't think there are exceptions but you can check with your priest re: courses.

Joyce house - once you agree on a date with the priest (if catholic) ring Joyce house to get an appointment.

Unitarian church = no marriage course required.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Our RSVP date was 3 weeks before the wedding and I deeply regretted leaving it that late. I thought I was being generous, but some people won't ever RSVP unless you ask them directly, so I had to wait until after the RSVP date to follow up with quite a few people. It was really stressful. Six weeks might be a bit early, so I'd go for about 4-5 weeks if I was doing it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Another month nearly over - hows the planning going folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

Dovies wrote: »
    Another month nearly over - hows the planning going folks?

The time is just zooming by. I thought I was so organised but i'm feeling a bit overwhwlmed now by it all!

was going fantastic till I realised I left the flash drive with the invite design on it behind when I was away at the weekend....looks like a trip back for me this weekend! Other than that I have all the big stuff done it's the paperwork and confirming all the details next on the list can't believe how fast time is going by now! hubby to be's stag's is this weekend!

pampers1 wrote: »
    The time is just zooming by. I thought I was so organised but i'm feeling a bit overwhwlmed now by it all!

Yep me too and I have ages to go!! Have almost everything booked - but its the smaller details that need to be done and its too early for that! A bit in limbo. Need to do the B/M dress shopping but don't really know where or when to start!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

Whens everyones wedding? Get a bit freaked when people say they have xyz done but then some of you might be January brides & Ive a year to go yet!! Anyone interested in a list (what bride doesnt like lists :) )?

Shortstuff! Nov 4th

13th August!

March 11th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭noanoa

Time is flying by, we will be engaged a year this weekend and then the following weekend is my hens, then menu tasting the following!
    Its all the little things for us now but they take awhile to do. Started writing our invites also.

Our wedding is 20th Feb.

October 13th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

26th August. I've loads done already. Nearly all the main things. I know it's early days but just want to get things ticked off while I can.

We are in March. Agree it's getting a bit overwhelming now. Reckon it's time for a long list.

The honeymoon is completely booked at least, that took ages and so much research

Our real wedding is the first weekend of January and the surprise one is a week later so only 11 weeks away now!

We only got engaged a month ago but I have registry office booked (bloody nightmare!!) witnesses sorted, meal for the real wedding booked, not sure about clothes....surprise wedding, venue, dj and food booked, humanist booked, photographer booked, fake cake booked, dress ordered, hair and make up booked, wedding band bought, flowers sorted, guest list done, invites ordered, his suit bought, so kind of done!!!! Need to get his band bought and post out invites next!

Oh, and in the background of all this we are selling his house!!!!

Amazing what you can do under pressure!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

29th July... 9 months today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Already exists

13th August!

Same date here! How often do you get asked, is it a Friday? when people ask the date?

Same date here! How often do you get asked, is it a Friday? when people ask the date?

Lol a couple of people have actually. Wouldn't bother me if it was a Friday but it might others!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Already exists

Lol a couple of people have actually. Wouldn't bother me if it was a Friday but it might others!

Wouldn't bother me either. I've found I've started saying "13th August, and no it's not a Friday" automatically when people ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I'm 30th April. Trying to get honeymoon sorted at the moment, finding it tricky to organise! Also freaking out about the cost of the whole thing, had a bad couple of months saving due to my car basically falling apart and the savings account hasn't recovered yet!

Every. Single. Time. I'm not particularly superstitious, so I'm not bothered about it, but some people seem quite upset for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

SecretBride January
    noanoa Feb 20
    westernlass March
    emzibob March 11
    pampootie April 30
    michellie July 29
    Already exists August 13
    Dovies August 13
    andreac August 26
    honerbright October 13
    Shortstuff! Nov 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Abrean

23rd April for us :)

We're making our invites so trying to get them finished up now and other than that I don't think there's anything else we can do until nearer the time.

Honeymoon is all booked, I did a terrible thing and did no research or pricing at all :eek: We knew we wanted to go to Orlando and then do a cruise so on word of mouth I went to my local Travel Counsellor and got her to give us options/book it. We're building a house at the moment too and I just couldn't take doing any more research on things or booking stuff, even for something great like the honeymoon so I just let her do it :D Fingers crossed everything works out well!

Have to get our honeymoon booked too. We think we would like to do Vegas and Hawaii but not set in stone. Id like to go somewhere that i probably won't ever get to again so that's why im thinking Hawaii would be a nice place to go. Still undecided though.

Abrean wrote: »

We're making our invites so trying to get them finished up now and other than that I don't think there's anything else we can do until nearer the time.

Honeymoon is all booked, I did a terrible thing and did no research or pricing at all :eek: We knew we wanted to go to Orlando and then do a cruise so on word of mouth I went to my local Travel Counsellor and got her to give us options/book it. We're building a house at the moment too and I just couldn't take doing any more research on things or booking stuff, even for something great like the honeymoon so I just let her do it :D Fingers crossed everything works out well!

Abrean, we travelled around Florida for two weeks last year for our summer holiday and in the middle did a 4 day cruise with RCL to the Bahamas.....you'll have a fab time and the cruises once you are in Florida are for nothing and really well organised so don't worry :-)

• Advertisement

Abrean wrote: »

Were doing the same honeymoon! Orlando for 5 nights then a cruise for 7 and two nights in miami to finish up we booked with travelmood they gave us the best option and were happy with it can't wait now!! I'm also making my invites so gonna make a start on them at the weekend has anyone any recommendations on gluing lace to card??

Our real wedding is the first weekend of January and the surprise one is a week later so only 11 weeks away now!

We only got engaged a month ago but I have registry office booked (bloody nightmare!!) witnesses sorted, meal for the real wedding booked, not sure about clothes....surprise wedding, venue, dj and food booked, humanist booked, photographer booked, fake cake booked, dress ordered, hair and make up booked, wedding band bought, flowers sorted, guest list done, invites ordered, his suit bought, so kind of done!!!! Need to get his band bought and post out invites next!

Oh, and in the background of all this we are selling his house!!!!

Amazing what you can do under pressure!!!

Can I ask why you're doing two different weddings? I assumed it was a celebrant thing, but if you've got a humanist booked, they can legally marry you.

I'd love to have two weddings though :). It's such an incredible day.

Yeah surely the Humanist can marry you without the need for the registry office too? We are getting married with a Humanist ceremony and its legal.

Faith wrote: »
    Can I ask why you're doing two different weddings? I assumed it was a celebrant thing, but if you've got a humanist booked, they can legally marry you.

I'd love to have two weddings though :). It's such an incredible day.

Good question 😉

When I got married before I wanted a humanist wedding but ex thought it was voodoo and said no.....I looked into it at the time and at that time it wasn't legal.

This time around it's a second wedding for us both and we wanted to disappear to Vegas and do it alone and have a party when we get back. Then we found we were under threat of death from the mothers if we were to do that.....so it's here or abroad with family. His family has a lot of 'challenges' with people getting on and not getting on and he has a psychotic ex too so every avenue we went down as a plan got scuppered for one reason or another!!

So our plan is this.....a secret registry office wedding with 4 friends on the Monday.....in the meantime everyone being invited to a surprise engagement party which friends are arranging for us......but when we arrive and are 'surprised' we take the microphone and say actually the surprise is on you, in 15 mins we will we getting married in front of you all! This gives us time to rearrange the room and us to get dressed and we will have a humanist ceremony with all our friends and family there.

The reason we will be doing it legally on a previous day is that it all got we bit awkward with the humanist bit being the legal bit because we would have had to let the venue know we were getting married as the HSE write to them.....then it would have had to be two rooms as you can't have alcohol in the room which would have made the surprise element hard etc, etc....as we will be legally married we can basically do what we like on the night now 😁😁

And I am DYING for it. We only got engaged a month ago so the engagement is just 4 months so hopefully nobody will expect a wedding so soon.

I shortened that very long version so hope it makes sense lol!

Ah, I get you now! That is more complex than I was imagining :).

Faith wrote: »
    Ah, I get you now! That is more complex than I was imagining :).

Lol me too!!! But I'm dying to see our guests faces when we tell them 😁😳😁😳😁😳

Lol me too!!! But I'm dying to see our guests faces when we tell them 😁😳😁😳😁😳

One of my cousins in Australia did that, they invited people for an 'engagement party' and it turned out to be a surprise wedding. It looked like an amazing day, and they said it was stress free for them and the guests.

One of my cousins in Australia did that, they invited people for an 'engagement party' and it turned out to be a surprise wedding. It looked like an amazing day, and they said it was stress free for them and the guests.

I'll be honest, I've been reading through the various threads and it's bringing everything back from 10 years ago when I organised my first wedding, and I'm not missing anything. My heart goes out to all the stressed brides, those with mad mothers, mothers in law, bridesmaids, whatever. And also when I see the budgets of some......comparing this one to the last one, it's like chalk and cheese.....a doddle so far without a quarter of the budget and only a teenchy bit of stress 😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 eruanna

October 22 for me! So excited!

• Advertisement

pampootie wrote: »
    I'm 30th April. Trying to get honeymoon sorted at the moment, finding it tricky to organise! Also freaking out about the cost of the whole thing, had a bad couple of months saving due to my car basically falling apart and the savings account hasn't recovered yet!
    Another April 30th here :)

Anyone organised makeup/hair trials?

Advertisement