Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to add new menu options on Wordpress?

• 03-01-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently started using Wordpress.

On right top hand side of my page there are two options 'About' and 'Home'.

My blogs all appear on the 'Home' page, and the 'About' section gives a brief description of who I am and my purpose for using Wordpress.

I'm looking to add a 'Contact' and 'Blog' link to the two options already available on that side of the page, with another list of subcategories coming from the latter as your mouse scrolls over it.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I've tried watching Youtube tutorials and did what they told me but even though I add new categories the 'About' and 'Home' options are still the only ones available.

Also if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to change.

Cheers,
    Michael

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Moved this to the design forum where it is most appropriate. Depending on the theme this can be achieved by either added a menu item under Appearance > Menus or else adding a new page under pages. Generally Wordpress themes will create a new menu item for every page. Some may use the built in Menu manager instead.
    If you want to exclude pages from the menu, there is a plugin called Exclude Pages that does the job. To add sub pages simply change the parent item to be that of the desired parent.

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Some options can depend on your theme.
    Give me a call, office hours and I'll run you through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

karaokeman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Recently started using Wordpress.

On right top hand side of my page there are two options 'About' and 'Home'.

My blogs all appear on the 'Home' page, and the 'About' section gives a brief description of who I am and my purpose for using Wordpress.

I'm looking to add a 'Contact' and 'Blog' link to the two options already available on that side of the page, with another list of subcategories coming from the latter as your mouse scrolls over it.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I've tried watching Youtube tutorials and did what they told me but even though I add new categories the 'About' and 'Home' options are still the only ones available.

Also if this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to change.

Cheers,
    Michael

Loads of info here;

https://wordpress.org/search/menus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Hi
    What you are talking about there is having a static front page,
    So create a new page give it a name like "home" and in the page attributes select no parent
    and save

Similarly create a a page called "Blog"

so go to your dashboard and select appearance customise and select static front page

select what ever page you want for the front page

Select blog for the blogs

Click save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Thanks for the advice all.

Followed the steps here and now I have Blogs, Contact, About and Home all listed on the top right hand corner of my account, with a drop menu appearing as the mouse hovers over Blogs.

Only problem I have now is related to adding to the 'Blogs' page. Initially the 'Blogs' page showed all my blogs chronologically from most recent first.

Now I went to Publish > Pages > Add, and in the text I added an URL for each of the three subcategories of my blogs. When I published the page I was redirected to Blogs where it showed the links to each subcategory, and each subcategory redirected to blogs off that kind. This is what I wanted, however whenever I click on Blogs from the top menu it says "Nothing Found", yet the blogs will still appear when you choose their respective subcategory from the drop menu.

What's wrong here, and how can I fix it to have the Blogs page show all the subcategory links as it did when it was first published?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice all.

Followed the steps here and now I have Blogs, Contact, About and Home all listed on the top right hand corner of my account, with a drop menu appearing as the mouse hovers over Blogs.

Only problem I have now is related to adding to the 'Blogs' page. Initially the 'Blogs' page showed all my blogs chronologically from most recent first.

Now I went to Publish > Pages > Add, and in the text I added an URL for each of the three subcategories of my blogs. When I published the page I was redirected to Blogs where it showed the links to each subcategory, and each subcategory redirected to blogs off that kind. This is what I wanted, however whenever I click on Blogs from the top menu it says "Nothing Found", yet the blogs will still appear when you choose their respective subcategory from the drop menu.

What's wrong here, and how can I fix it to have the Blogs page show all the subcategory links as it did when it was first published?

Can you give us a link to your site to have a look?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I think that you will need to add each category as a menu item under the Blogs menu item.

You should probably ask someone to log into the site and sort this. I should take 5-15 mins max.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I think that you will need to add each category as a menu item under the Blogs menu item.

You should probably ask someone to log into the site and sort this. I should take 5-15 mins max.

That's what I tried to do and it hasn't worked.

Problem is basically when I click on 'Blogs' at the top menu it redirects me to a page saying "Nothing Found" whereas clicking on each subcategory from the drop menu will leave you with the blogs from each of those subcategories, and I've tried adding a page with the subcategories.

I understand providing a link to my account would be helpful in this case, but I'm not sure I can do this.

Only problem is some opinions I've expressed on boards changed before I made my Wordpress account, so I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with my Wordpress followers or boards users who recognize me attributing my misunderstood viewpoints to my current stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Problem is basically when I click on 'Blogs' at the top menu it redirects me to a page saying "Nothing Found" whereas clicking on each subcategory from the drop menu will leave you with the blogs from each of those subcategories, and I've tried adding a page with the subcategories.
    If I read this correctly, you need the top menu item *not* to be a link to anything but the drop menu items to link to the subcategory (something like mysite.com/category/great-opinions).

If so, the top menu item will be a custom link with a url of: #
    See: Menu item with no page, but with dropdown
    With screenshots: How to Add Titles in WordPress Menu Without Linking to a Page

Fixed it now, but thanks to all for the input.

Top menu 'Blogs' when you click leads to a page with the subcategories listed on the drop menu.

All sorted.

• Advertisement

Fixed it now, but thanks to all for the input.

Top menu 'Blogs' when you click leads to a page with the subcategories listed on the drop menu.

All sorted.

Can you explain what you did to fix the problem you were having? For anyone looking for answers to a similar problem.

Advertisement