Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

I just cancelled a room in O'Donnabhain's in Kenmare if it's any use to anyone, got a hotel in Killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a twin room booked for two nights in Killarney. Friday night and Saturday night. It's a B+B, reasonably close to Start/ Finish. 30.00Euro per person per night.
    Due to injury, I am unable to participate.
    I can cancel without penalty, but if anybody on here wants to take this booking, let me know.
    If this booking is not cancelled and is not availed of, my credit card will be charged, so booking name would have to changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Accommodation will be difficult to find at this stage!

I've a room booked for Fri Sat so I'll see if I can cancel the sat night if not I'll stay out the road a but and cycle in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

On a separate note, where exactly is the official start/finish point in Killarney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

efwren wrote: »
    That's some great advice...thanks!

Just got my Ring of Kerry Jersey in the post. I like it, however the pockets seem smaller than other jerseys I own and as a result my packable rain cape doesn't fit in the pocket (it does in the other jerseys I have). Anybody have any creative suggestions for how to carry this around on the road?.

THanks

I keep my rain jacket strapped under the saddle. Never gets in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I keep my rain jacket strapped under the saddle. Never gets in the way.
    me to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Is the jersey made of the same material as last years jersey? Also same fit? Are there any differences other than design? thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 GMWW66

Can anyone simply explain how the sponsorship works. Paid E85 at registration and received a sponsorship card, didn't read the options very carefully while registering as was afraid the site would time out again! Do you give all the money you collect through sponsorship to ROK? Thanks - new to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭neerb

Hi I'm booked to cycle the ROK I'm living in Dublin . I don't drive and have asked a number of courier services if they could transfer the bike to Kerry and most have come back to say they don't do it unless it's flat packed . Does anyone know a courier company that will take the bike as it is and. Transfer it ? Thanks in advance

neerb wrote: »
    Hi I'm booked to cycle the ROK I'm living in Dublin . I don't drive and have asked a number of courier services if they could transfer the bike to Kerry and most have come back to say they don't do it unless it's flat packed . Does anyone know a courier company that will take the bike as it is and. Transfer it ? Thanks in advance

Can you take it on the train and then a taxi from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Irish Rail have been doing something for last few years involving trucking bikes from Mallow to Killarney. You may want to see if they are doing it again this year.

bman1 wrote: »
    On a separate note, where exactly is the official start/finish point in Killarney?

Mission Road - that big car park next to the Plaza Hotel.

see https://goo.gl/zZRKkX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

you could always cycle down, a mate of mine's brother & cousin cycled from Dublin to Killarney the day before, did the ROK and cycled back the day after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

If anyone's stuck for accom I cancelled a triple room in the Eviston house hotel...
    The Celtic tiger is alive and well in Killarney for that weekend... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...The Celtic tiger is alive and well in Killarney for that weekend... :(
    +1

€18 for a small cereal type bowl of pasta in a pub last year. It was described on the menu as "The Sean Kelly Special" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

GMWW66 wrote: »
    Can anyone simply explain how the sponsorship works. Paid E85 at registration and received a sponsorship card, didn't read the options very carefully while registering as was afraid the site would time out again! Do you give all the money you collect through sponsorship to ROK? Thanks - new to this!
    Any sponsorship you get up to €85 you keep to cover the 85 you've already paid upfront. Any money you get above €85 you are supposed to give to ROK.

In previous years you just got the sponsorship card and any money was collected afterwards. I guess it got too messy trying to get money off people after the fact and some were slow or simply didn't pay up. So now we have this system with the added benefit to ROK that they can set a minimum sponsorship amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

There's a couple of guys heading down with me looking for a B&B or hotel booking if anyone has one going.

There's a couple of guys heading down with me looking for a B&B or hotel booking if anyone has one going.

There are still rooms available on booking.com for The Victoria house hotel €230 for Fri sat night

There's a few others aswell at the usual extortionate rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Only started cycling in March to train for ROK, have done a couple (2) 60ks today did 115km, 915m climb 5.24 hours moving, delighted to get over the 100. Legs very tired but all things considering feel ok, gave me a bit of confidence & hope it's enough to get me through the day - hope I don't regret that comment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

If you can do 115km, the ROK should be no bother to you,there are plenty of food stops to keep your energy levels up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Pm me for details
    2 twin rooms in b and b . I'll be cancelling them without penalty on a booking site

sorry it was hotel killarney i had booked

now cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Any suggestions on nutrition? What is best to carry with you for energy? Somebody suggested Jaffa Cakes but that could get messy. Also water or lucozade sport?

Any suggestions on nutrition? What is best to carry with you for energy? Somebody suggested Jaffa Cakes but that could get messy. Also water or lucozade sport?

There is plenty of food along the way and even between the food stops there are bananas at the water stops. However I really like '9 bar' which you are starting to see in Supervalu and Centra. They are just mixed seeds and nuts and quite tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

If you have a halfords near you.
    I suggest the High5 mini race pack costs a few euro and good value.
    Has energy gels and electrolyte tablets etc.

energy gels and electrolyte tablets etc.

The energy gels don't agree with everybody so I'd try them out on a cycle before hand. They can cause upset stomach cramps etc in some folks. The old adage applies here "Don't do anything different on the day than you have in training."

Personally I don't think gels are required unless you're really planning on pushing yourself to set a PB. I would recommend the high 5 tabs though as they'll reduce any risk of cramp although you can make home made electrolyte drinks yourself it's only salts and minerals.

Relax and enjoy the day someone on here posted a very good break down of the entire route and to be honest it's made sound like a whole bunch of tea stations :D I'm sure parts will be uncomfortable though.

Hopefully the weather plays ball but sure it's always sunny in the Kingdom from what I hear. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Terry365

Hello all the big day is getting close now. Can anyone tell me what the story is with insurance for the ROK. The An Post cycle series has a Cycling Ireland licence for the day included in your entry fee, which covers you in terms of insurance. I've emailed the ROK committee but still waiting for a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

o9rfwi.jpg

When I did the Ring a few years ago, this helped. It gives the length of each stage, the accumulated distance at each town and highlights the hills. As I am sure has been pointed out here already, it is "only" 171km and not the 180 advertised.
    Good luck to all on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

o9rfwi.jpg

When I did the Ring a few years ago, this helped. It gives the length of each stage, the accumulated distance at each town and highlights the hills. As I am sure has been pointed out here already, it is "only" 171km and not the 180 advertised.
    Good luck to all on the day.

thanks a million that makes it look much more achievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Very Helpful, it certainly takes some of the fear factor out of the day, especially for newbies,just one minor detail, it's not all downhill after molls gap, there are a few minor "ramps" as you descend towards Torc Waterfall, nothing major but tired legs will feel the pain.
    I've heard a few expletives as i descended last year from a few Dublin guys who thought it was a freewheel to Killarney, not quite.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

A bit close to the day to be making nutrition changes, so whatever works for you. I wouldn't recommend sugary drinks, or sweets/chocolate. Fruit is good.
    I'm taking a slightly different approach and avoiding carbs as much as possible, aiming to get around on water and a couple of cups of tea/coffee. I've done +100k like that before with no issues. Takes a couple of months to get used to though, so don't try it now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Tec Diver wrote: »
    A bit close to the day to be making nutrition changes, so whatever works for you. I wouldn't recommend sugary drinks, or sweets/chocolate. Fruit is good.

This is the most important point. Its funny I'd be the opposite of Tec Diver in that I use sugary energy drinks, sweet/choclate alot. If you've trained properly for the event chances are you'll have tried a few different things. Go with what ever works best for you based on what you've done in the past. For an easy going event like the ROK its what works as you can see just from this post people can have very different preferenes. Neither are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Nutrition-wise it's best to stick to what you're used to. Some people say to take a load of energy bars and gels and have supplements in your water etc (I think they're unnecessary). Others get around with the good ol' coffee and buns. In my opinion performance nutrition (ie these aimed at hardcore athletes) are not required for the ROK, as there will be a load of food available at the stops thanks to the generosity of the folks at Lucozade, Lidl, and Nature Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

RoK cycle is live on Irish TV. 2pm to 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

So my first ROK this year and I'd planned on leaving at 6am, my thinking was there would be a good few on the road by then but the main bunch would be well behind me. But from talking to a good few people lately a lot are starting earlier than 6. So was wondering what time people are starting and why, a bit of info will help me make my mind up I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

From sunrise there will be cyclists on the road, most will leave between 6 to 8 am. There will be an official start, I think at 7, but there is no main group as such just a constant stream of cyclists doing the ring at their own pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Keep left pass right , just saying !!

Keep left pass right , just saying !!

:mad::mad::mad:

This year I'll move left when i'm good and ready :D:D:D

Make sure you have everything you need to fix a puncture so you are not be wasting your day sitting on side of the road waiting for the maintenance crews!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Make sure you have everything you need to fix a puncture so you are not be wasting your day sitting on side of the road waiting for the maintenance crews!!

What if you have all the gear but no clue how to fix it?

aquinn wrote: »
    What if you have all the gear but no clue how to fix it?

You have two full weeks to learn!

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    You have two full weeks to learn!

Ah here, training to be done. First cycle done on Monday, bike serviced too so ticking off the list.

Google can train you, apparently there's a couple of sources on line to help :)

How to change a bike tube :
    About 11,700,000 results (0.31 seconds)

Or if you really are mad!

How to patch a bike tube:
    About 746,000 results (0.39 seconds)

Hmmn, this isn't working out so well for me, see above post :D

What if I just post here on the day and you both seem eager to come help. That would work for me??? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

jon1981 wrote: »

Or if you really are mad!

How to patch a bike tube:

Is patching considered mad? :)

I got my Console jersey when collecting my tags today :)

A little wrinkly, but not too bad!! Fits well, too!

11429906_10153368475877456_1266308262_n.jpg?oh=28d2e25964d20fa22b4e5a61ddcf9e06&oe=55871269

Back: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11168995_10153368475527456_1037603706_n.jpg?oh=7d6f81c6688e1823fb655fcc1d5fdf08&oe=55874A83

interesting emails going out about 'Wave Starting Times'
    Dear Cyclist,

We hope that your training has been going well and that you are looking forward to the 4th July as much as we are.

It is our hope that everyone has a really enjoyable day but most importantly that everyone arrives back to Killarney safely, and with this in mind, this year we are introducing five

Wave Starting Times.

With over 11,000 thousand cyclists taking part we are asking you for your co-operation to ensure a smooth and trouble-free start to an exciting day.

The Wave Starting Times are arranged to coincide with the Road Closures and are in place and to prevent overcrowding and delays along the route and at our Food Stations. Each Wave is 30 minutes in duration commencing at 6.00am starting in Killarney.

You have been allocated a

Wave #5 Starting Time of 8.00 – 8.30am

from Killarney. Please plan your start anytime within this time limit.

Please help us run another successful day by co-operating with this request.

Please do not contact us regarding changing your allocated Wave Starting Time – if you can’t comply or have a cycling buddy with a different start time, please do your best to arrange a swap with someone else or to leave as near to the allotted time as possible.

We are introducing this measure for your safety and enjoyment and your co-operation will make it a more enjoyable and safe day for everyone involved in this great event – cyclists and volunteers together.

Best regards

ROK Charity Cycle Committee

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Yep I got wave 2! Wonder how strict it is.

Yep I got wave 2! Wonder how strict it is.

What time is wave 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

Didn't get my email yet.... but at an average 20kms ph and with food breaks and 2 hills to climb.... an 8am start could mean that I not back in Killarney til after 7pm......

Don't know if people will pay any attention to this instruction....????

hmmmm got a 7am (wave 3) start here. I plan to start at 6:30am... will they stop me? lol :pac:

Also what if groups of friends are doing it together? Don't see this being followed or adhered to.

• Advertisement

Is patching considered mad? :)

At the side of the road? completely! lol Patching is for cold days by the fire at home when you have nothing better to do. I'm a throw a tube in and lets get the show going quickly man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement