Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

BailMeOut wrote: »
    interesting emails going out about 'Wave Starting Times'

I got that also. It's insane. They did not specify start times when we booked and they can't do it now. I got wave 1 6:00 am start. I plan to start early but there are negotiations going on at the moment about when the club will start. 7am seems the most likely. If they have stewards or the like who stop me starting at 7am with the rest of my Club because I missed my allocated slot I'll drag the ****ers through the small claims court. Yet another example of a ROK committee without a clue about customer service and PR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Bit late in the day for this alright. I reckon it's ass covering, because the numbers are up this year they probably have been asked to reduce pressure on the food stations , reduce bottle necks and also additional safety measures.

There's an extra 2000 doing it this year i believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marou

Jesus, they're really trying to p1ss people off aren't they. They'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg if they're not careful. With the registration debacle I had already decided this year was my last but this is another joke to cap it all off.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Yera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

didn't get an email, none of the friends have one yet either. if we're not all in the one wave, ROK can forget about it. we're doing it together as much as possible as we can stay together. its changing the rules too close to the event. I'd have no problem if this was planned from the start at registration time but its too late now. last year for us doing it - already had reservations about future ROKs due to the costs but rule changing like this isn't on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm starting at 6:00 if they want me back before nightfall!

Didn't get an email so I'm going to proceed as planned. Really looking forward to it.

I did my first 80k last weekend and felt good. I've done a few 40K+ cycles and I'm happy with my progress.

It'll be a slow day, but I'm confident of getting round... eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Our group of 3 had planned a 6 am ish start so when i heard about the "wave" system my heart sank and immediately my mood turned to feic them we're going anyway. Upon checking our e-mails we are alloted to wave 1, 6-6.30 am so it's lucky for us that it suits our plans, but anything after 7 and we were going anyway.Apparently done to avoid chaos at foodstops, particularly Cahersiveen, which can be mental and we bypass anyway. By Kenmare the field will be well and truly strung out so thats more manageable.
    I can totally understand the frustration of previous posters who for various reasons had their start time planned. I also wonder how this is going to be "enforced", checking 11,000 cyclists crossing the start line and all at their allocated times would be to put it mildly a nightmare. don't forget a fair chunk start from kenmare so i wonder was this taken into account.
    And of course on the road the natural flow of quick clubs versus glad to get around journeymen cyclists will kick in and this whole wave plan will have dissolved into nothing.
    To previous posters check your spam mail, that's where my mail landed as it's from eventmaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Na not getting involved in any of this nonsense had to beg steal and borrow an entry of Mrs k now this, We will be starting when my good lady decides to and we will be starting together .... end of .

Well with less than 2 weeks to go most participants will have almost all of their preparation done, it's not a bad idea to rest up for the 5 or 6 days beforehand so the legs will be fresh on the 4th.
    What may be new to a lot of participants, particularly the newbies are the sheer numbers that will be encountered on the day,even if you have done a few warm up cycles the "ring" is numbers wise on a different level, this really can be very daunting, especially if a fast moving group overtakes you at speed. Hopefully you will get a shout out but sadly that is not always the case.
    Cycling in large numbers, or in a group is something that is learned over time, on the day you may hear a lot of call outs or see certain gestures that leave you puzzled.
    Here are a few basic rules that will help you through the day and back to Killarney Safe and Sound.

http://www.leisurecycling.ie/groupcycling.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well I received my e-mail but I believe that it was more a case of 'Cover thine Ass' than anything else. Should something happen in the midst of the 11,000+ cyclists, they'll have a list of what they have done to assist in the Health & Safety for the day. Even if they won't respond in writing about their Health & Safety Measures <- funny that! :mad:

I'll be setting off at the same time I've set off on the last 2-years and they can challenge me on the morning if they like.
    With this late antic I'll be pitching them elsewhere next-year. I'll tell them that in person if they would like to hear it when I sign on this year!

Health & Safety with this many cyclists will be a serious challenge and I believe they know they've taken on too much.
    Odd that some given a time-slot and others not. So I'll be starting at my own time since it's not the same rule for all.

Not a Happy Camper with the ROK Committee so I'm not.
    Seems they are just doing everything now to avoid any negative untoward them should something happen anyone on the days cycle. They have ticked their boxes and covering their asses. Understandable but not reassuring.

How come it's not the same rule for everyone though? How come not everyone was allotted a time?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

kerry4sam wrote: »
    How come it's not the same rule for everyone though? How come not everyone was allotted a time?
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

To be fair I'd say everyone was but a lot opf people probably set up an email just to register for these events and never check them again or they may be gone tp junk mail.

I was allotted 07:00 that's fine by me unless you're in a big hurry to finish I don't see the point in starting at 05:00 etc just for fear of being last or trying to finish with the crowd.

I myself am under a bit of pressure for time but I realised something doing the tour de burren. I was spending so much time on sportives wishing the hills would end I forgot to lift my head up and look around and soak up the event and location.

This will be my first ROK and I plan on soaking it all up I just hope I won't be soaking up as much rain as I did on Sat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I got allocated 8 to 8.30. I don't mind going off at that time if some others from my club are going too. But I'm not going off on my own. No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

To be fair there's a bottleneck as far as glenbeigh (Anybody who has done the ROK previously will know what I'm on about), with the checkpoint at Fossa there's even more of a bottleneck coming out from Killarney. My understanding of the staged start times is that it tries to somewhat alleviate this, and is meant as a suggestion which would greatly be appreciated by the committee behind the scenes as well as the volunteers on the day.

Yes it should have been said sooner, but for the majority of people it won't result in a large deviation from previously arranged plans (the majority leave early anyway), like I said it seems as more of a suggestion that would help things run a bit smoother for everybody on the day.

Regarding health and safety, there's a lot happening. Strategic road closures at challenging sections, limiting the number of entrants, and constant liasion with an garda siochana are just some of the measures in place on the day, the numbers are no greater than last year. Everybody has a responsibility for health and safety, there's only so much that can be planned for, every year there are accidents due to carelessness, not paying attention, travelling to fast for conditions etc. etc.
    Well I received my e-mail but I believe that it was more a case of 'Cover thine Ass' than anything else. Should something happen in the midst of the 11,000+ cyclists, they'll have a list of what they have done to assist in the Health & Safety for the day. Even if they won't respond in writing about their Health & Safety Measures <- funny that! :mad:

I'll be setting off at the same time I've set off on the last 2-years and they can challenge me on the morning if they like.
    With this late antic I'll be pitching them elsewhere next-year. I'll tell them that in person if they would like to hear it when I sign on this year!

Health & Safety with this many cyclists will be a serious challenge and I believe they know they've taken on too much.
    Odd that some given a time-slot and others not. So I'll be starting at my own time since it's not the same rule for all.

Seems they are just doing everything now to avoid any negative untoward them should something happen anyone on the days cycle. They have ticked their boxes and covering their asses. Understandable but not reassuring.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭onlyme!

Ring arund me ole ....is a cycling circuit in germany its very nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    Bit too negative a post really, events evolve and this is their attempt to make it easier for all. And typical Irish, when they try and stagger things to make it safer, "I'm going doing my own thing anyway..."

Bit too negative a post really, events evolve and this is their attempt to make it easier for all. And typical Irish, when they try and stagger things to make it safer, "I'm going doing my own thing anyway..."

I don't think most people are disputing trying to make it safer. It's the afterthought or last minute approach that's annoying me. If they really had thought about this they could of offered timeslot selection at time of booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

By chance myself and the msrs were allotted the same start time. I'd say we'll still head off earlier than we were assigned though.

I found the mail in my spam folder after reading this thread. All the other mails I have gotten from ROK went to my inbox so some phrase in the mail must have triggered the spam filter.

jon1981 wrote: »
    I don't think most people are disputing trying to make it safer. It's the afterthought or last minute approach that's annoying me. If they really had thought about this they could of offered timeslot selection at time of booking.

I believe if the option was available at sign on it would really have pushed eventmaster beyond the point of no return. Perhaps when the site was put back online registration was stripped to the bare essentials to allow for servers to cope with the considerable volume of traffic, I don't know I'm just thinking about it logically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I believe if the option was available at sign on it would really have pushed eventmaster beyond the point of no return. Perhaps when the site was put back online registration was stripped to the bare essentials to allow for servers to cope with the considerable volume of traffic, I don't know I'm just thinking about it logically.

That sounds plausible but it still would have been better to make it clear in all communications from the start that people would be allocated a wave.

I don't think it will have any real impact on people, even the wording was wishy washy
    Please plan your start anytime within this time limit.
    Please help us run another successful day by co-operating with this request.
    if you can’t comply or have a cycling buddy with a different start time, please do your best to arrange a swap with someone else or to leave as near to the allotted time as possible.

In other words, start whenever you want, but it'd be really nice if you could oblige us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

I didn't get the mail yet, not in the SPAM folder either. I'm planning on starting as soon as I can - depending on how early the accommodation can do breakfast.
    This is my first year doing it, but doubt I'd do it again - too much hassle to register (a friend tried to register but didn't get a place) and too many people for my liking. Others may not feel the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Went to buy a jersey this morning and the online shop is closed??

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Shop closed yesterday. They sent email notifications to people informing them.

Shop closed yesterday. They sent email notifications to people informing them.

No use if your not registered or doing the event as I wouldnt get the email.
    Its not a gripe Ive emailed them but can only imagine they are running out...
    I cant see a local stockist going to the bother of posting one out as it seems none of them have an ecommerce site??? Ive emailed one of them too.

There's usually an Expo in the car park where sign in takes place. In previous years there have been jerseys and merchandise available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Went to buy a jersey this morning and the online shop is closed??

If you live around Tralee, Kellihers Hardware on Rock Street have been selling them for the past few weeks. I'd assume most shops in towns around Kerry are probably selling them.

If you live around Tralee, Kellihers Hardware on Rock Street have been selling them for the past few weeks. I'd assume most shops in towns around Kerry are probably selling them.

I'm in Dublin ah ill pick one up on the Friday..don't mind advertising charity events rather than replica kit

There's usually an Expo in the car park where sign in takes place. In previous years there have been jerseys and merchandise available.

Got one last year in the Expo the night before, they had stack loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

O'Sullivan cycles in Killarney have them.
    Tight fitting. Im usually a medium (size that is - Im not into contacting the other side) and the large is a tight fit!

O'Sullivan cycles in Killarney have them.
    Tight fitting. Im usually a medium (size that is - Im not into contacting the other side) and the large is a tight fit!

:D:D

Was talking to them they wont take an order over the phone...Fair enough.
    Just dont see why closing the online shop 2 weeks before the event how thats decided..the volunteer end might have dried up??
    I'll get one on the Friday at the expo so no panic.
    Just need an entry to finish the weekend off if not out to Dingle it is...

• Advertisement

Well with less than 2 weeks to go most participants will have almost all of their preparation done, it's not a bad idea to rest up for the 5 or 6 days beforehand so the legs will be fresh on the 4th.
    What may be new to a lot of participants, particularly the newbies are the sheer numbers that will be encountered on the day,even if you have done a few warm up cycles the "ring" is numbers wise on a different level, this really can be very daunting, especially if a fast moving group overtakes you at speed. Hopefully you will get a shout out but sadly that is not always the case.
    Cycling in large numbers, or in a group is something that is learned over time, on the day you may hear a lot of call outs or see certain gestures that leave you puzzled.
    Here are a few basic rules that will help you through the day and back to Killarney Safe and Sound.

http://www.leisurecycling.ie/groupcycling.html

Received this today. Safety Guidelines and Information for the cycle.

SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR ENTRANTS TO THE RING OF KERRY CHARITY CYCLE

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle now in its 32nd year, is the biggest one day charity fundraising event in Munster, attracting thousands of leisure cyclists who will experience a fun and rewarding day’s cycling, completing 112 miles of the spectacular Ring of Kerry, while at the same time fundraising for worthy Kerry based Charities.

Full details of the route can be found on www.ringofkerrycycle.ie

The organisers want to ensure that each and everyone participating or helping out has a most enjoyable day. With this in mind we would ask you to read carefully the important information detailed below.

Starting point is Mission Road, Killarney which will be clearly signposted on all approach routes. PLEASE NOTE: This year all cyclists have been assigned Wave Starting Times. These Waves are arranged to coincide with the various Road Closures that are in place, safety considerations and to prevent overcrowding and delays along the route and at our Food Stations. Please help us run another successful day by co-operating with this request.
    The emergency numbers will be in operation from 6.00am until 9.00pm on the day and are as follows :

Medical Emergencies 0646634909

Mechanical Helpline 0871440054

These will be printed on your bike tag

This year the route will be signposted with direction arrows and there will be distance indicator signs every 5kms.

Cyclists MUST stay inside the middle white line and be mindful of other road-users at all times. In certain areas where informed, the road may be closed entirely to approaching traffic during specific periods only. However where road closures end, cyclists must strictly stay inside the central white line. Cyclists should note that a road closure in a particular area does not prohibit the presence on the road of emergency vehicles (HSE, Gardai, Fire Bridgade etc) or other vehicles authorised by the emergency services to be present along the closed road and cyclists must exercise due care and caution at all times. Please obey signage, fixed stewards, cycling stewards who are clearly marked within the group and Gardai at all times.

Cyclists are asked to be careful during dismounting and parking their bike in allocated stops along the route and ensure the free flow of cyclists and other road users is not endangered or restricted.

Please indicate your intentions when you are stopping or overtaking.

You are asked to note that various safety and information signage will be erected along the route for your assistance and safety, please take note.

Participants should note that the route involves steep ascents and descents in areas and due care should be exercised in your position and speed for your own safety and the safety of others in your vicinity in those areas particularly and indeed along the entire route overall. The event is a charity leisure cycle and not a race.

Helmets must be worn by all cyclists. Please obey Stewards and Gardai and at all times and obey the rules of the road. Be mindful of your own safety and that of others.

The use of earphones on the day is highly dangerous so in the interest of the safety of yourself and others please do not use them.

CYCLING IRELAND RULES AND GUIDELINES

The Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle is being promoted under the auspices of Cycling Ireland and all entrants must adhere to the following guidelines from their Safety Code :
    - Have a bicycle that is in good working order
    - Wear a hard shell cycling helmet
    - Be mindful of the need to act in a manner that takes account of their own safety and the safety of others
    - Ensure their fitness level is appropriate given the nature of the event
    - Ensure their nutritional requirements can be met
    - Be conversant with and obey the rules of the road at all times
    - Familiarise themselves with the event route
    - “sign –on” for the event
    - Be aware that marshals are not empowered to stop traffic

You must read the Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle and Cycling Ireland Guidelines before entering and you will have to accept them during the entry process

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Well said Funnights,

There are a number of smaller and shorter events on this coming weekend. These will give people not only the opportunity to cycle a fair distance (a bit like a marathon runner not doing the 26 miles till race day) but also to experience the pleasure and etiquette of group cycling.

Two I know of in Co. Cork are the Ambo Ramble (Ballinhassig Cork) and
    Tour of Sliabh Luchra (Millstreet Cork) and see http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/leisure-events-calendar2 for others around the country.

Wishing you all safe cycling,

Brendan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

So is the general feeling the wave times won't be adhered too? Me and my friend got allocated times an hour apart. But we plan on heading out around 7 o clock. Not doing half as much as last year, so will need all the time I have.

I was assigned wave 3 07:00-07:30

I've a feeling it might be a popular wave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

iwillhtfu wrote:

iwillhtfu wrote:

See you there dude, I will be the big angry cyclist fighting with the stewards!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭claw14

Just wondering if anyone else here has not got the wave start email ? 3 of our group didn't. All hoping to start before 7 anyway but just wondering what happens if you haven't received the email? Surely they won't stop you.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I think thats the first time I have seen or heard anyone who did not get the 6-6.30 wave :)

claw14 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone else here has not got the wave start email ? 3 of our group didn't. All hoping to start before 7 anyway but just wondering what happens if you haven't received the email? Surely they won't stop you.....?

Some people will adjust their plans to fit the slot but the vast majority of people I've spoken to aren't paying any attention to the slots. The popular opinion seems to be if the time they imposed on you doesn't suit you just ignore the mail and start when you want. Anyway mail they sent out gave people the option of leaving "as near to the allotted time as possible". If they try to enforce it this year they will have to have an army of stewards pulling people off bikes that's not going to happen. This is worth €1.5m to €2m a year to them so they aren't going to do anything this year that will cause a PR disaster and endanger that next year.

Next year they can introduce slots at booking but it's too late this year.

touts wrote: »
    Some people will adjust their plans to fit the slot but the vast majority of people I've spoken to aren't paying any attention to the slots. The popular opinion seems to be if the time they imposed on you doesn't suit you just ignore the mail and start when you want. Anyway mail they sent out gave people the option of leaving "as near to the allotted time as possible". If they try to enforce it this year they will have to have an army of stewards pulling people off bikes that's not going to happen. This is worth €1.5m to €2m a year to them so they aren't going to do anything this year that will cause a PR disaster and endanger that next year.

Next year they can introduce slots at booking but it's too late this year.

I'm back marshalling again this year, I spent time at the first checkpoint in Fossa, and again at Molls Gap. It wasn't as bad at Molls but it was very busy in Fossa (and I stayed there for the bones of 40 minutes at around 7:30 am). The wave times are to try and cut down on some of the congestion that occurred last year both at the checkpoint and on the first stretch of road to Killorglin.

One thing that I did see a lot of in Fossa was people who hadn't bike tags on correctly. You will not be let through unless your bike tag is clearly visible on the front of your bike, not wrapped around your saddle, or around your top tube.

A lot of the people who were turned away just parked up on the side of the road (https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.06967,-9.569617,3a,75y,270.65h,76.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sPNNqf_HlLFwOCLFLh9VU5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) with back wheels coming out over the white line on the left trying to correctly affix bike tags.

If people could ensure bike tags are correctly fixed on to the front of their handlebars before setting off I'm sure it would really be appreciated by the stewards on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

I got no mail from them re a wave - should I be mailing them or just cycle when I want.

Why is it such a necessity to have the tag on the front of your bike. Surely anywhere visible will suffice?

I can't imagine marshalls see every tag even if they are all to the front.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why is it such a necessity to have the tag on the front of your bike. Surely anywhere visible will suffice?

I can't imagine marshalls see every tag even if they are all to the front.

They kind funnel riders through checkpoints. I'd imagine if they see a tag on the front of the bike they just wave you through. If it is on the side or back they have to stop you and look for it and that causes a delay and a ripple back through as riders in the queue behind also have to stop and unclip and the whole thing just slows down.

Ahh right didn't realise they sent you through a cattle crush. No wonder the stops do be busy.

Surely pinning numbers to your jersey and stopping people at food stops would be easier. Although I use the term easier lightly 10000+ passing through.

I assume you can bypass these checkpoints so as to avoid having to stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

It might be time to cut the organisers a bit of slack. I hope they're not reading this and thinking "I'm not doing this next year". It's not like they're getting paid to do this. Personally I'm really looking forward to cycling with 10,000 people in a lovely part of the world and I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't for their efforts to coordinate with local authorities, insurers, emergency services, local charities and other stakeholders. If they're asking you to put your tag on the front of the bike, just do it. Its not like they're asking you to scratch it onto the frame. Sure they messed up the registration but that was one mistake made twice, we can get over it:) At the very least we could give our feedback in a constructive, supportive manner

Easy there tiger I was only askin a question so save your holier than though speech for someone else. I'm plenty greatful to the organisers/volunteers who are doing this for the benefit of the charities that we pay for the privilege.

As it stands as far as feed back is concerned all the communications regarding the cycle have been spot on and detailed.

The entry was an unmitigated disaster I hadn't planned on doing the event but decided to see if a slot was available last minute and got lucky.

As for the cycle itself I can't comment on what hasn't happened. Although from what I hear it's a great event.

As far as volunteers are concerned anyone that volunteers their time to the benefit of others regardless of which event (the ring of kerry being no better or worse than others) is a legend in their own right.

Hopefully it's a tad drier than Tour de Burren last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Easy there tiger I was only askin a question so save your holier than though speech for someone else. .

I aiming for first ever boards rant at the whole thread, to be fair:) I have never been accused of being holy before! Either way I think we're all agreed it would be nice if it didn't rain:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Would it be helpful to do a quick checklist: I'll start
    • Put on Suncream first thing in morning!
    • Charge Garmin
    • Bring 2 x Spare Tubes
    • Bring Cash for cold pint at finish line
    • Tie on Entry No and wear wristband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Masala wrote: »
    Would it be helpful to do a quick checklist: I'll start
    • Put on Suncream first thing in morning!
    • Charge Garmin
    • Bring 2 x Spare Tubes
    • Bring Cash for cold pint at finish line
    • Tie on Entry No and wear wristband

something to inflate these spare tubes!
    Gloves, glasses, helmet, and water bottle(s)
    Rain jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

BailMeOut wrote: »
    something to inflate these spare tubes!
    Gloves, glasses, helmet, and water bottle(s)
    Rain jacket

Took them for granted..... standard checks for the daily spins!

Keep your eye out for the odd boozer in Killarney offering a free pint with your certificate of completion.

Throw whatever tools you need to do basic maintenance to the bike into the boot of the car. Hopefully you wont need them but it could ruin your morning if you can't get started for want of a tool to do a 5 minute job. Also some Muc off and rags to do a quick clean of the bike after the cycle in case it is a wet day.

If you plan to keep your bike in a hotel room bring an old blanket from home to put on the floor under it. You could get a hefty cleaning bill if oil etc gets on the carpet.

Bring gear you need for dry (e.g. short sleves) and wet (e.g. jackets) that way you can choose on the morning. Last year the forecast the day before was for heavy rain yet the day was lovely. You can't trust the forecasts so bring all you need to make a decision on the morning.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement