Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Shag it anyway. The current yr.no forecast is showing rain all day on 4th. Time to take out the Rosary Beads and give them a going over......!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

youtheman wrote: »
    Shag it anyway. The current yr.no forecast is showing rain all day on 4th. Time to take out the Rosary Beads and give them a going over......!

Way too soon for any forecast however no matter what there is a good chance you get lashed on at some point during the day. Doing my 5th this year and at some point have always gotten rained on. Last year the weather was beautiful all day but the heavens opened heading into Kenmare and the monsoon like downpour soaked everyone.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Way too soon for any forecast however no matter what there is a good chance you get lashed on at some point during the day. Doing my 5th this year and at some point have always gotten rained on. Last year the weather was beautiful all day but the heavens opened heading into Kenmare and the monsoon like downpour soaked everyone.

I remember that shower of rain last year. I was just outside Sneem, but managed to avoid most of it by hiding under a tree for a few minutes. This will be my 4th year in a row. I seem to remember four years ago that it was lovely weather. Remember at the top of Coomacista people having to splash on the sun screen (happy days). The following was dull (if my memory is correct).

I do agree that the Long Term forecast is unreliable at this stage. Hopefully it will get better, not worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Bit early for forecasts, anyway everyone knows that Kerry has it's own weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Looking forward to this immensely

though my preparation has been less than ideal. I have completed 120km cycles before but none this year. the most I have done this year is 70km, hoping muscle memory and taking my time will get me through the full slog

• Registered Users Posts: 42 trav1963

20degs. Wind from the south to blow ye up Molls & a couple of drizzely showers to cool ya down. Bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

trav1963 wrote: »
    20degs. Wind from the south to blow ye up Molls & a couple of drizzely showers to cool ya down. Bring it on.

would't that be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Sure it would be no crack if we didnt get drenched at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

And keep out of the hard shoulder at the start. Some amount of punctures every year on way out to Fossa. Not a good start to your RoK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

Bit early for forecasts, anyway everyone knows that Kerry has it's own weather.

The Kerribean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Stollaire

The recent model looks like a mixed bag in terms of weather. I don't have the image from last year but I wasn't all too different to this, más buan mo chuimhne.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭galwayguy85

Have the wristbands and bike tags and other bits and pieces been sent out yet?

I used my parents address to register as I did not how long I would still be living in my current rented accomm.

I received the fund-raising booklet a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Have the wristbands and bike tags and other bits and pieces been sent out yet?

I used my parents address to register as I did not how long I would still be living in my current rented accomm.

I received the fund-raising booklet a couple of weeks back.

Don't believec anything is being sent out. Strictly collection only

If you registered directly with a charity then some of them have e-mailed cyclists and arranged for wristbands and tags to be collected at the charities offices. A few guys I know are all sorted since last week.
    Anyone who registered through the RoK will sign in on Friday and Saturday morning in the New street car park. Keep an eye on their website and Facebook page for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭efwren

willabur wrote: »
    Looking forward to this immensely

though my preparation has been less than ideal. I have completed 120km cycles before but none this year. the most I have done this year is 70km, hoping muscle memory and taking my time will get me through the full slog

I'm in a similar boat. A bunch of us have been going out on regular spins for the last few Months, the plan was to get to 100km. However with injury, sick kids work etc the we missed a few weeks and the most we got to was 80km. Hoping there is enough in the tank to get through it at a steady pace.

Really looking forward to it though, rain or sunshine I planning on having a great day out. Spending day with your mates cycling around some of the best coastline in the world.....can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

I'm also in the "training was less than ideal" camp. I have lots of excuses of course...
    I don't mind mixed weather, just as long as the wind isn't too strong, that can really sap the energy and motivation.

Looks like the Weather Gods may be giving us a break on Saturday. Current yr.no forecast is showing NO RAIN during the day, light breeze, and even a bit of sunshine in the afternoon. YIPEE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

youtheman wrote: »
    Looks like the Weather Gods may be giving us a break on Saturday. Current yr.no forecast is showing NO RAIN during the day, light breeze, and even a bit of sunshine in the afternoon. YIPEE!!!

You've just jinxed the hell out of that one.

I'll pack the rain coat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Folks, it's the west coast of Ireland where the sea meets the mountains. 5 or 6 day rain forecasts are akin to Mystic Meg predictions. Don't bother looking at a rainfall forecast until Wednesday.

If you want to get a bit more granular with the weather on coastal areas then Windguru is very good. Watch how these models change over the coming days but as you get closer to Saturday they will be more and more accurate.

Windguru - Killarney
    Windguru - Killorglin
    Windguru - Caherciveen
    Windguru - Waterville
    Windguru - Sneem
    Windguru - Kenmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Have an entry to ring going spare if anyone interested ? Sorry if this is not correct place to put this down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

ciaeim wrote: »
    Have an entry to ring going spare if anyone interested ? Sorry if this is not correct place to put this down

Pm sent if thats ok

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

Sorry it's gone

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please read the thread title - no entry requests/offers are now permitted as the organisers have closed transfers

Any questions PM me - do not respond in thread

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I'm also in the "training was less than ideal" camp. I have lots of excuses of course...
    I don't mind mixed weather, just as long as the wind isn't too strong, that can really sap the energy and motivation.

Hide away in a group, there'll be plenty to choose from. Usually from Waterville there will be a tail wind/south westerleys, that'll get you most of the way to Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 20 squigo

hey folks

Just wondering regarding sign in for Friday and Saturday can someone else collect the tag for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭efwren

Anybody recommend anywhere in Killarney for night before carb loading?..i.e. dinner ?

Will be getting down sometime after 8..so I am presuming I'll need to book somewhere.

Also for after the event anybody recommend any good spots for food/celebratory drink?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

squigo wrote: »
    hey folks

Just wondering regarding sign in for Friday and Saturday can someone else collect the tag for you?
    From what I read I don't think so. Recall reading I.D might be asked for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

And keep out of the hard shoulder at the start. Some amount of punctures every year on way out to Fossa. Not a good start to your RoK!

Cycled that section tonight and it was actually okay. No signs of debris or shards of glass as of tonight.

If anyone does find themselves cycling in there, do NOT panic! Don't make sudden movements out onto the main road; just move out slowly if you're not confident cycling in there :)

The only thing that happened me on that route all year happened tonight when my chain came off. Put it swiftly back on, reminding me to throw some wipe/gel into a pocket. Greasy hands ; lovely sandwiches at the stops wouldn't mix well me thinks!

Hope the Preparations are going okay. You all get the e-mail this evening about printing off you barcode/acceptance-slip reminder to bring with you when you register this w/end?!

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Cycled that section tonight and it was actually okay. No signs of debris or shards of glass as of tonight.

If anyone does find themselves cycling in there, do NOT panic! Don't make sudden movements out onto the main road; just move out slowly if you're not confident cycling in there :)

The only thing that happened me on that route all year happened tonight when my chain came off. Put it swiftly back on, reminding me to throw some wipe/gel into a pocket. Greasy hands ; lovely sandwiches at the stops wouldn't mix well me thinks!

Hope the Preparations are going okay. You all get the e-mail this evening about printing off you barcode/acceptance-slip reminder to bring with you when you register this w/end?!

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

I've usually a pair of nitrile gloves stuffed under the saddle with the tube for such reasons. Has worked well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Very nervous given the amount of "training" I've done and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. I'm not completely unfit and I've done a few 50k-80k runs solo with a few climbs and lots of wind at 22/23kmph average incorporating a couple of breathers but without suffering too much. This is a different ball game though.

Apologies if this has been covered before but can anyone recommend a pace to aim for to get around? I notice the welcome back party finishes at 6 so I'm guessing 12 hours is the slowest you can really do in total. I'm aware of how it's broken down.

Also, difficult question to answer but how much easier is it cycling in a group over solo? Ignoring wind factor does it push you along much more than being by yourself?

Clutching at straws here!

funkhouser wrote: »
    Very nervous given the amount of "training" I've done and I'm an inexperienced cyclist. I'm not completely unfit and I've done a few 50k-80k runs solo with a few climbs and lots of wind at 22/23kmph average incorporating a couple of breathers but without suffering too much. This is a different ball game though.

Apologies if this has been covered before but can anyone recommend a pace to aim for to get around? I notice the welcome back party finishes at 6 so I'm guessing 12 hours is the slowest you can really do in total. I'm aware of how it's broken down.

Also, difficult question to answer but how much easier is it cycling in a group over solo? Ignoring wind factor does it push you along much more than being by yourself?

You will be fine! The longest cycle I ever did prior to my 1st ROK was 40kms and I did it on a hybrid. I was very sore and tired at the end but was a fantastic feeling. You really do get dragged along by the crowds and you stop at least 5 times for breaks (food stops x 2, Sneem and top of Croomkista and Molls).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The climbs are grand. Molls is only 1 - 3% gradient from the Kenmare side, you'd hardly notice that you're climbing. Pick a nice easy gear and spin away at your own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

funkhouser wrote: »

get into a group going at a pace you are happy with, drop off if you have to, do not burn yourself out, eat and drink plenty(dont forget to to to the house of wax before leaving the foodstops, nothing worse than needs one when your nowhere near one) but most of all enjoy the day, i know it sound very cliched but the energy you will get as you watch the kms drop away will spur you on & just imagine the big durty pint( of what ever you fancy) when its over!

have a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

First time doing the ROK and will be driving in to the town. Where is the best place to park for the day. No info on the web-site yet about parking.

wextipp wrote: »
    First time doing the ROK and will be driving in to the town. Where is the best place to park for the day. No info on the web-site yet about parking.

On Saturday morning there will be loads of parking signs and volunteers with flags waving you into parking spaces. We were diverted into a business park about 2kms from start but there were loads of options available. It was no hassle at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭saccades

Bloggsie wrote: »
    get into a group going at a pace you are happy with, drop off if you have to, do not burn yourself out, eat and drink plenty(dont forget to to to the house of wax before leaving the foodstops, nothing worse than needs one when your nowhere near one) but most of all enjoy the day, i know it sound very cliched but the energy you will get as you watch the kms drop away will spur you on & just imagine the big durty pint( of what ever you fancy) when its over!

have a great day.

Hiding in a group makes a massive difference if it’s windy – even just line astern behind 1 person, but remember not to overlap your wheels. It’s too easy on a long spin to get a wobble for whatever reason (tiredness, pothole, fly in the eye etc), which is easily corrected unless you nudge/bmup into another wheel and then you are off balance and down.

My mantra for long distance stuff (Getting through the Wicklow 200 on a IGH hybrid type thing) is 65%, only pedal at 65% effort and your endurance massively increases. I’m aiming for 20kmph (W200 ave is ~22kmph but that’s a bit further and a lot more climbing) and enjoy myself going around as I doubt I’ll be back down Kerry way for a long time.

Knowing the route also helps – I’ve studied a route map and elevation map (clockwise initially :picard: ) and it gives you a good indication of your status on the day. Worked really well for me on the W200, but a big chunk of that is well known to me and is on my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Edit: accommodation now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Since my chain came off on my cycle lastnight after shifting gears ; had them looked at today and went for a spin to test the work done.

It is only now that I actually feel ready for my 3rd Ring Of Kerry Charity Cycle! Days to flippin' go and it's only now I feel ready. Some people have been ready for weeks.
    I've yoga this week and I might get a quick spin in on Thursday and that's my lot.
    Registration on Friday ; nerves aplenty thereafter that ; then Roll on Saturday.

3rd Ring Of Kerry; my own new Personal 3-in-a-row. I'll be taking it handy with my back, hence why I'm not starting at the late-time I was alotted. Know the route now which should help me Please God. Slow n Steady on Coomakista and Molls Gap ; perseverance on the long drag of a road from Sneem to Kenmare and sur I'll be rocking on Home in no time :)

Hope Everyone has an Enjoyable & Safe Days Cycle on Saturday. Let's all get Home again injury-free and Smiling!
    Don't hesitate in asking for assistance if you need it, you'll find no shortage of helping hands on a day like this.
    Don't hesitate in stopping en route as often as you like. This is your days' cycle. Huge Personal Achievement so Take it all In and Enjoy The ROK 2015.

Safe n Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement

Two of my party are after pulling out due to personal reasons so if anybody has any solutions feel free to pm me

1 twin room available 2 mins from scotts hotel in a house for friday and saturday night also , circa 100 each for both nights

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭chili_fecker

squigo wrote: »
    hey folks

I rang the office yesterday and what they told me is someone can pick up your tag but that person needs your photo ID so the office can match the name on the registration form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

What sort of food is given out at the stops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

What sort of food is given out at the stops

From memory there's a load of sandwiches, scones, buns, bars (Nature Valley), tae and coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Have a double room in lake lodge guesthouse for fir and sat nite. €165 in total. Pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gelva

Hi has anyone got the route on strava just to see the climbs please ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

gelva wrote: »
    Hi has anyone got the route on strava just to see the climbs please ???

http://www.strava.com/activities/162019314

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

50 km last night - tough enough going... eeeek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

willabur wrote: »
    50 km last night - tough enough going... eeeek

Same here - did 60km Sunday and was wreaked but wont be pushing at the weekend - thinking 20kmph ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

jamesd wrote:
    Same here - did 60km Sunday and was wreaked but wont be pushing at the weekend - thinking 20kmph ish.

Same here. First attempt and miminal training, this is going to be about survival.

2 entries still available

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement