Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

cavan4sam wrote: »
    Two of my party are after pulling out due to personal reasons so if anybody has any solutions feel free to pm me

1 twin room available 2 mins from scotts hotel in a house for friday and saturday night also , circa 100 each for both nights
    portumna wrote: »
    Have a double room in lake lodge guesthouse for fir and sat nite. €165 in total. Pm me if interested.
    2 entries still available

Mod Voice: Absolutely no entry transfers in thread. The clue is on the title. Transfer entry closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

gadetra wrote:
    Mod Voice: Absolutely no entry transfers in thread. The clue is on the title. Transfer entry closed.

Ok sorry ..........

(Goes off to sit on bold step )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭brianomc

Does anyone know what time registration stays open on Friday until? I thought I read 10pm but can't find that anywhere now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

brianomc wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time registration stays open on Friday until? I thought I read 10pm but can't find that anywhere now

Bike tag collection is on Friday 3rd July 4pm - 10pm New Street Carpark, Killarney or Saturday 4th July 6am - 8am New Street Carpark, Killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

gadetra wrote: »

I didn't offer an entry transfer, I offered a double room which I no longer require. The clue was in my post.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

portumna wrote: »
    I didn't offer an entry transfer, I offered a double room which I no longer require. The clue was in my post.
    Point noted. However if you ever wish to address a mod about a modding matter, please PM them, and do not take the thread off topic by raising it in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

From memory there's a load of sandwiches, scones, buns, bars (Nature Valley), tae and coffee.

And don't forget the current bread:), it'll get you through the day.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

jamesd wrote: »

:eek::eek::eek: some steep ones there.one of them 23%.christ above :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've done the R.O.K. for the last four years. I honestly can't remember any part of any climb, that is anything like 23%. Here's my Garmin from last year. It looks less intimidating than Strava

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/535773606

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I've done the R.O.K. for the last four years. I honestly can't remember any part of any climb, that is anything like 23%. Here's my Garmin from last year. It looks less intimidating than Strava

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/535773606

ok now that looks more like it.
    when you see someone whos completed it in a 30kmph+ avg slowing right down to 4.7 and 5.7 kmph for climbs it is somewhat daunting looking to someone attempting it for the 1st time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ok now that looks more like it.
    when you see someone whos completed it in a 30kmph+ avg slowing right down to 4.7 and 5.7 kmph for climbs it is somewhat daunting looking to someone attempting it for the 1st time

Eh. He wasn't exactly pootling along there either 05:20:xx 31.4 ave you were motoring Eamonnator.

As for 23% there's little to nothing over here that's 23% for a prolonged period a couple of switch backs or steep mountain sections.

Having seen those maps it looks grand I'd be more concerned about the sneaky ramps than this couple of climbs. They seem to be between a 3-4%Ave.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

And don't forget the current bread , it'll get you through the day.

I would hope it is current bread. Previous bread does not taste the same.

Currant bread is also nice

There are really only 2 climbs.
    They both have great surfaces.
    They both are reasonably regular, there are no real steep bits. It is relatively easy to get a rhythm going on them.
    Enjoy the day.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Eh. He wasn't exactly pootling along there either 05:20:xx 31.4 ave you were motoring Eamonnator.

As for 23% there's little to nothing over here that's 23% for a prolonged period a couple of switch backs or steep mountain sections.

Having seen those maps it looks grand I'd be more concerned about the sneaky ramps than this couple of climbs. They seem to be between a 3-4%Ave.

Yeah, not bad for an auld fella.
    There were three or four of us got a nice group going. We left Killarney at 6.00am, had a pretty clean run at it.

Those Strava gradients are to put it mildly ridiculous. I've done 4 "rings" and there aren't anything on the course even approaching double figures, the steepist climb is passing through Killorglin and that's no more than 7 or 8 % for 100 yards.
    Apart from that it's 2 long drags and a few testers.

Just wondering will i be able to collect tags for our group as rest wont be down til late Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

Just wondering will i be able to collect tags for our group as rest wont be down til late Friday night

I think someone mentioned here if you bring their ID you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

updated info posted on the site about parking, sign-in, and event timetable.

see http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/the-cycle/important-information/

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

For the supporters on Saturday car park is that dependent on their cyclist registering on Friday in which case they get a tag or is it just for all supporters who come along on the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Keep an eye out for me and a few mates from the Biscuit Club on Friday.
    We are cycling from Waterford to Killarney !
    A nice warm up for the main event on Saturday !! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Left Field

I have a spare twin room available in Killarney for Friday night and Sat night if anyone is in need? Had a last minute cancellation. PM if interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Those Strava gradients are to put it mildly ridiculous. I've done 4 "rings" and there aren't anything on the course even approaching double figures, the steepist climb is passing through Killorglin and that's no more than 7 or 8 % for 100 yards.
    Apart from that it's 2 long drags and a few testers.

Molls gap and Coomakista seriously are nothing to worry about, and whatever about a racer I've done both on a full sus mountain bike without problems. In both cases the scenery is absolutely stunning so just slot it into a low gear and enjoy......just keep left of the white line :)

Just something I thought of there, I should have said it sooner.
    Last years thread with peoples opinions on the day, might be interesting reading for some; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057113011&page=64

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

greenspurs wrote: »
    Keep an eye out for me and a few mates from the Biscuit Club on Friday.
    We are cycling from Waterford to Killarney !
    A nice warm up for the main event on Saturday !! :)

Always enjoy seeing ye on ROK - Cookie monster gives me a smile as I slog around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I did 3 ROK in a row , but haven't done it in 4 years , somebody pulled out a month ago and I was asked in.
    God I'm so looking forward to it .

It's a great day out folks , take as long as you can going around .

My advice is don't be filling up with white bread . and for gods sake get a ice cream in sneem .

Quick question in regards to the latest sign on information? Am i the only one that didn't receive a sponsorship card after registration? Cant remember if there was an opt out option on it ......just a bit freaked now by it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Quick question in regards to the latest sign on information? Am i the only one that didn't receive a sponsorship card after registration? Cant remember if there was an opt out option on it ......just a bit freaked now by it

Did you get your tag ? And wrist band ?

Did you get your tag ? And wrist band ?

No just got email to print off acceptance slip .....no card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I wouldn't worry about the card, that was only optional if you wanted to raise money sepreatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Any particularly dangerous roads, notorious descents or unsafe corners to be aware of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

The descent after Moll's Gap can be a bit dicey, not that the corners are very sharp, it's just that it's quite a long descent and you gotta be that extra bit weary as cyclists will be tired and their concentration may not be at the same level as the start of the cycle. When I did it two years ago there were 3 or 4 crashes on the descent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MB1380

Looks like its going to be pretty windy! 35km/h! :o

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=411749

MB1380 wrote: »

I can live with that. It's against heading out so hide away in a group. It'll help you home/ up Molls Gap. Luvvly Jubbly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

If you see someone in green boards cycling gear [someone who looks like the gear fit him several years ago :P] that may well be me, shout abuse [were not American, so lets me honest, "good job, your almost there" does not work] :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

Ok when ya pass me I'll shout a flitter of fcuks at ya ......you will pass me .....everybody passes me 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

A patronising "come on big man!" usually ups my cadence a bit, will that do ye? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

We will be down in our Portumna cycling club gear , say hi if ye pass us

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Trev De rev

We will be down from mallow say hi if u pass us

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Anyone else get that ROK email saying that you need a printed copy of your acceptance slip to "sign-on"? I already have my wristband and bike tag, so assume I don't need to sign-on anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

If anyone is interested Kerry hospice have some entries for the ring that were returned by people that are unable to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Valentia Hospital also have a few spare entries.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ciaeim wrote: »
    If anyone is interested Kerry hospice have some entries for the ring that were returned by people that are unable to do it.
    outfox wrote: »
    Valentia Hospital also have a few spare entries.

I presume those entries are allocated to the charities, which I guess may facilitate late transfers. I would suggest checking before taking up any though - no point in having an entry where the organisers turn you away because you don't match their records

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭fabvinny

best of luck to everyone doing the ring tomorrow,stay safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Is one bottle enough for the ring?

I will carry 2 x 500 ml bottles. One water and the other an energy based drink. Lucozade sport or high 5, topping up as I go around as well as munching in the food stops. Pacing your speed and keeping your energy topped up is the key to the RoK. It's a long slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Last cycle done before the morning. A little 10km spin to make sure the legs are still working.

From 0km to 170km (hopefully) in 8 weeks, so very proud of myself. Longest spin I've done is 85km but had plenty left in the tank after so confident I'll get around ok.

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You only need the print-out with the barcode. That will be scanned before you enter the tent ; scanned at the desk when you are given your wrist-band and bike tag <- bike tag scanned & attached to your details, barcode :)
    MB1380 wrote: »

The wind is not even funny right now in Killarney. We're supposedly to have it at out backs as we climb MollsGap though, hopefully <- or else those who said that were just being optimistic and nice.

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

So has anyone managed to register without the print out and using their phone. I forgot to print the thing off and there's a queue for the printer in the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Is one bottle enough for the ring?

plenty, you probably couldn't cycle 5km with out passing a water stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Best of luck to everyone

There was a steady stream of cars with bikes on the back heading against me on the M7 this evening,

So jealous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement