Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Wow! What a super day... As usual... A mind-blowing effort from everybody involved. One thing that has left a sour taste in my mouth however... Saw on 2 or 3 occasions people discarding wrappers and rubbish. Very disappointing to see. On the descent from coomakista I saw a 'Blaney Valley CC' rider on a lapierre blatently throwing away a wrapper. I just happened to be in his firing line. tbh this is a serious bug-bear of mine. I informed him that this was not the Tour de France and people make a serious effort In Kerry to 'keep it clean'...
    He just looked straight through me!
    Just mind-blowing ignorance. Phew... Rant over!
    Apart from that. What a day....

I thought I was the only one! F@$ked a guy out of it near Derrynane for throwing his empty Lucozade bottle over the ditch. All I got in return was a laugh, no excuse or anything. Took his number to report him to the organisers so he never gets to take part again. If this becomes the norm for people then maybe the littering will stop. However none of the 20 or so people that were between me and him seemed to think that there was any problem with what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

First time I have seen bottles used in this event. The Lucozade in new for this year. And seen bottle water handed out as well. Used to be taps only or milk tankers etc only

Might be a concern for committee after the debrief!!! Would be concerned if Lucozade bottles are littered around the beautiful Derrynane area

We might be back to taps and tankers next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Another fantastic day out, weather came through in the end and glorious sunshine for the few pints at the finish line.

Scored a good few personal records on the climbs. Knocked 10 mins off the molls gap climb, couldn't believe it, was it the wind? Didn't feel it behind me all that much! Anyway delighted with my 20mins molls gap s-n climb time.

I found the extra 2k cyclists this year to be noticeable so didn't bother trying to push it on the flats so don't care much about the times for the flat sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

BailMeOut wrote: »
    ... Loved drummers on the climbs and toward the end and the DJ coming up Molls gap really helped.

Low point was the strong head winds. It was hard going for first half of the day which was very obvious on the garmin as it was my slowest time around but did not mind that.

Looking forward to #5!

Oh that DJ! I turned to him with a Smile & just said Thank You :)
    Breath of fresh-air. Just as I took the second-last turn I could hear those bongo-drums a bangin', can still hear them when I think back.

That DJ encouraging everyone. The banter outta him. "Just two minutes now to the top. You'll be in Killarney in an hour for some pints!"
    Just the perfect character for the location. Not sure who that DJ was but Thanks for Ensuring he was there!
    Round the final turn the bango-drums and 'Welcome to Molls Gap'! Sign to the right "suffer now for a few minutes or feel sorry for yourself tomorrow" <- or words to that effect.
    Actually all the signs en route were well thought out too.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Great day out, stewards/marshals were brilliant!! Entertainment on route was great! Stay left pass right should be encouraged. Loved the finish in the car park.... Wasn't too gone on the narrow chute coming in the mucross road... Mechanical problem a bit up the road caused a bunching and of course all the drains are in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

kerry4sam wrote: »

The best one had to be the one as you came around a corner in Cahersiveen I think it was.

Can't remember the exact wording but it essentially gave the distance left in Miles/kilometres/feet/inches/centimetres

Made me smile anyway.

Can anyone enlighten me.... But why do people stop in the 'farmhouse' just before the climb before Sneen??? What's tge attraction... Seems to cause a traffic hazard as bikes stop???

AND... Why don't we refer to that climb as much as Coomakista and Molls??? I dread tge thoughts of that climb more than the other two!! Is it just me???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Masala wrote: »
    Can anyone enlighten me.... But why do people stop in the 'farmhouse' just before the climb before Sneen??? What's tge attraction... Seems to cause a traffic hazard as bikes stop???

AND... Why don't we refer to that climb as much as Coomakista and Molls??? I dread tge thoughts of that climb more than the other two!! Is it just me???

I think the climb is the reason why. A minute or two to rest the legs before kicking on up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Anyone know what the little 'no crimeway' signs with a bike on them are all about. I see them dotted along the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Feeling bummed out it's all over now! Need to find another event !

jon1981 wrote: »

The Rebel Tour in Sept....

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭funkhouser

Big thanks to the volunteers for their great work and humour. The organisation was truly excellent. Will definitely be back next year.

I stopped to fill mtly water bottle first time I actually stopped tbh. I don recall a climb soon after though. :confused:

Long-shot here now:

~ top of Coomakista
    ~ Kenmare
    ~ top of Molls Gap
    ~ finish line

~ @ top of Coomakista
    ~ @ top of Molls Gap
    ~ at the end

Now, the guys I asked at Molls Gap:- the first had too many cyclists behind me, taking away the scenery and they happily obliged to take another. One said he would 'photo-bomb' it for a second having to be taken. I laughed. I then took a photo of the 3-of-them Great Humoured Guys!

Only when I arrived Home I looked at my photos and he did infact photo-bomb my photo at the top of Molls Gap :D

Now, if you were one of those 3-guys:- Thank You for the Smiles,
    kerry4sam

jon1981 wrote: »

I'm registered already for the An Post Tour of Meath (26th July) & the An Post Rebel Tour (Sept. 12)

Should keep me occupied,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

... Why don't we refer to that climb as much as Coomakista and Molls??? I dread tge thoughts of that climb more than the other two!! Is it just me???

Always find it the hardest part.
    wextipp wrote: »
    Anyone know what the little 'no crimeway' signs with a bike on them are all about. I see them dotted along the route.

Possibly it's got to do with the planned greenway along the old railway line to cahirciveen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

wextipp wrote: »

There is a plan to turn the old killarney to valentia island railway line into a cycleway and the process is underway. There is some opposition to it locally although the vast majority of the landowners are in favour. It would be a spectacular cycle / walk way. Those signs popped up Wed/Thursday night I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Accom booked for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Just in the door our 2nd one done and dusted, We took 11 hours we stopped a lot mostly to take in the day sure what hurry would be on you,We had a lovely day and took it for what it is a nice day out on bikes,I did take the opportunity to get a bit of training done by tare-in up both mountains then turning back down to encourage Mrs K up at her pace meaning i done both climes twice ! Im sure some of you notice me with my panniers on drilling it up :)

I did enjoy my day it a great event never seen so much food at a bike event we had no problems at all on the way around,we shouldn't forget this is a fund raising event and I'm sure the 11000 cyclist raised a shed load of money
    Well done to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I stopped to fill mtly water bottle first time I actually stopped tbh. I don recall a climb soon after though. :confused:

did you noticed the flags outside the farmhouse?
    you were blown up it! tis a little shit of a drag normally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭SummerRebel

kerry4sam wrote: »

20km sign

"If your bum's already sore, forget you saw this sign"

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

That couple have been letting cyclists use their toilets for years and giving them biscuits and water. the water originally came for their well,they used to have it in buckets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Accom booked for next year.

Ditto.

did you noticed the flags outside the farmhouse?
    you were blown up it! tis a little shit of a drag normally.

I certainly did alright they were flat out in our direction. Probably why I took no notice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The best one had to be the one as you came around a corner in Cahersiveen I think it was.

Can't remember the exact wording but it essentially gave the distance left in Miles/kilometres/feet/inches/centimetres

Made me smile anyway.

Ha ha i had forgotten that, it was just outside Killorglin. And on that matter, i stall haven't done 180 Kms. 5 "rings" and each one 170 Kms give or take a few meters. It's like the Bermuda Triangle trying to find that missing 10 Kms:D:D

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I think the climb is the reason why. A minute or two to rest the legs before kicking on up the hill.

That lady has been supporting the cycle since it's first year. Food, water, bathroom facilities, off her own bat. Its a tradition with certain groups of cyclists to stop off there. Newbies are also welcome.

Its at the 4.20 point of this feature.

Ha ha i had forgotten that, it was just outside Killorglin. And on that matter, i stall haven't done 180 Kms. 5 "rings" and each one 170 Kms give or take a few meters. It's like the Bermuda Triangle trying to find that missing 10 Kms:D:D

I was thinking something didn't add up alright 170 and change according to my garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Hi all.

This was the first year doing the ring and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately I only got as far as Kenmare because my legs and back gave in.
    It's the most I've ever done so I'm proud of that.

I've certainly caught the bug and want too continue.
    My brother in law recons my bike is too heavy and I might need to invest in something better.

The bike I have is a BOSS Eurotreck tourer, and compared to his GIANT it feels like it weighs a ton.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to a good bike (less than €1000) that would do the trick?

Cheers.

P.S. I take my hat of to the cyclists that were going up those hill's like they where going down hill. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ditto.

What's the date for next year

Did anyone else spot the lad doing it in a pair of Jeans and coat? it must have been one hell of a comfy saddle.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Ditto.

Me too, before i knew what room i was in for this year i asked to be booked in for next year, the lady at reception laughed. When i left this morning she told me 25 of the 28 rooms they have had been booked. Just the small matter of registration now:eek:.
    Most notable jerseys, not easy with all the high vis rain gear, but the Waterford Biscuit gang made their annual appearance, i saw a wallace and gromit but the most notable was a guy in a blonde wig with pigtails and his entire kit was a lady in her undies, hilarious but it's these things that make the day special.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Another year done and dusted. Loved it!
    To echo what I said a page or two ago I was a marshal this year again.
    A lot of what is being said here I noticed on the day (good point re people cycling in the middle of the road) and I said it to people where I could. Ended up doing a bit more than mileage than most (looked at the garmin this morning and I was 3km short of 200km...bummer)

The sponsors of the event; Nature Valley, Lucozade, Liam Lynch Skoda, Lidl were all absolutely amazing. A huge shout out to all the volunteers who helped with setting up the various locations as well as the logistics of getting everything to where it should be. To the bike repair crews and medical personnel who did trojan work over the course of the day, thank you!

Fair play to the committee who's efforts once again made ROK 2015 bigger and better than ever. To organise an event of this magnitude is no mean feat, to do it on a voluntary basis whilst juggling full time jobs is absolutely amazing. Here's to next year, looking forward to it already :)

torydiver wrote: »

2nd july.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Hi all.

This was the first year doing the ring and I enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately I only got as far as Kenmare because my legs and back gave in.
    It's the most I've ever done so I'm proud of that.

I've certainly caught the bug and want too continue.
    My brother in law recons my bike is too heavy and I might need to invest in something better.

The bike I have is a BOSS Eurotreck tourer, and compared to his GIANT it feels like it weighs a ton.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to a good bike (less than €1000) that would do the trick?

Cheers.

P.S. I take my hat of to the cyclists that were going up those hill's like they where going down hill. Unreal.

Well done on getting to kenmare, that's no mean feat. With regards to a new bike, well you're in Dublin so it's best to go to any local bike shop and browse, speak to the staff and they'll get you sorted, you might qualify for the Cycle to work scheme which should definitely help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

True love ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Silly question but we're you face down on the road soon after Glenbeigh? There was an accident scene there, looked very worrying?

Nope, but that lad was in bed opposite me, operated on today. Serious shoulder issue

Nope, but that lad was in bed opposite me, operated on today. Serious shoulder issue

Not to make light of your situation but with a broken left shoulder and a broken right wrist bathroom visits are going to be interesting for the next while I'd imagine. :D

How's the body today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I was thinking something didn't add up alright 170 and change according to my garmin.

It's a bit longer clockwise ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

How are u you poor divil? I passed you a minute or so after your fall my heart went out to you

• Advertisement

torydiver wrote: »

2nd July. Its always the first Saturday in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not to make light of your situation but with a broken left shoulder and a broken right wrist bathroom visits are going to be interesting for the next while I'd imagine. :D

How's the body today?
    in short.. try wiping your arse tomorrow with no movement or strength in your arms :)

My mates tell me today looks like front wheel bolt broke, (appears snapped they said) - our theory is it snapped, front wheel came out from under me, I landed on my right and messed up shoulders and folks who fell over me did the wrist damage (again, these our guesses)

So tbh my wife and I are glad that did not happen on my commute in or out of town for work, two months of pain and suffering is far better than some of the alternatives .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Me (29) and my dad (66) completed our first Ring of Kerry, he thought his chance to do it was gone but 7 1/2 hours of saddle time later it was job done.

My Review:

We had registered directly with a charity so we had no queuing time collecting our tags on Friday evening.

As expos go I felt it was a bit of a let down, very few stalls and the things that were for sale seemed very much on the pricier side.

Started at 7am in a steady stream of cyclists. The rain didn't know if it wanted to fall or not. One thing we definitely did have was the wind in our faces.

Sampled the delights at the Caherciveen food stop and refilled the bottles. I have never seen so much food laid out together. Everything was in plentiful supply. Despite the large numbers the queue time was not long at all.

Headed on and eventually came to Coomakista, we both found this tough but not manageable. An absolutely glorious site was the snake of a couple hundred cyclists weaving their way around the bends from top to bottom. It was some site.

Onwards we went to where we had to really dig in from Sneem to the Kenmare food stop. F**K ME that's a surprisingly nasty section of the route.

The Kenmare food stop is a lot smaller than it's counterpart in Caherciveen but again it had a plentiful supply of food. It had however ran out of Lucozade Sport.

On we went up Molls Gap which neither of us found that bad to be honest. As has been said a load of times it's just a very long drag late into the cycle. The DJ near the top definitely deserves a special mention for giving everyone a boost. "You'll be having a pint in Killarney in less than an hour".

Down we went and back to the start all in one piece. Great day had and the man that thought his chance had passed is saying he'll have to do more training for it next year!!!

Few things that I felt could be improved/ that annoyed me:

Idiots throwing wrappers on the ground/ in the ditch. Why? Just Why?

People not keeping to the left. Obviously a mindset in this country cause I had the same problems driving back to Dublin today.

People just stopping in the middle of the road once they had completed the climbs. Pull in if you want to take a breather or admire the view but get out of everyone else's way.

The cert of completion should have your name on it. Would give you a nice momento and could be very easily done.

I thought the finish area was way too packed, a huge number of non cyclists standing around blocking up the place the second you cross the line.

Just to finish, personally I didn't have a problem with the numbers on the road even as a first timer nor did I have any negative incidents with any club groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

First time doing it, really enjoyed it and could fault nothing about the event. Only downside was seeing a too many very close ones with lunatic cyclists overtaking on the wrong side of the white line at blinds bends. There is nothing organizers or marshals can do about that I suppose.

Anybody know where photos of the day are posted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

just looked on a few booking sites there very little accomodation for next years cycle left .....is it that all is booked up or hotels havent released the rooms yet ?

cavan4sam wrote: »
    just looked on a few booking sites there very little accomodation for next years cycle left .....is it that all is booked up or hotels havent released the rooms yet ?

Hotels haven't released rooms yet I'd imagine. I booked a room for both nights in April then cancelled in June as I couldn't change to just the one night. I got another place handy enough at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't panic just yet. :)

• Advertisement

cavan4sam wrote: »

Last week, I started looking for accommodation for next year. I booked a superior twin room for two nights in a central B + B. for 140Euro for the 2 nights. Next day, I got an email, stating that the B + B had no availability for the nights, I wanted, but could offer me A superior twin room for 2 nights for 280Euro. Price doubled overnight.
    I did get B + B in a place just 300 metres from Start/Finish for 160euro for twin room for 2 nights.

mikeymouse wrote: »
    It's a bit longer clockwise ,

Leave it out :)

I would say it's a fair bit tougher over Molls gap going clockwise though.

29th of August. The wrong way around. Part of the Killarney cycling festival. Http:// killarneycyclingfestival.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Did anyone else spot the lad doing it in a pair of Jeans and coat? it must have been one hell of a comfy saddle.

As far as I know, he was marketing for some fashion department. He seemed to be a huge hit for the ladies, he was getting the whistles as he rode along the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

20km sign

"If your bum's already sore, forget you saw this sign"

It was "if your ass is already sore, forget you saw this sign"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement