Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

iwillhtfu wrote:
    I wouldn't panic just yet.

Ha more curiosity than anything. ....seemed to be a fair few entries available last minute this year .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

in short.. try wiping your arse tomorrow with no movement or strength in your arms :)

My mates tell me today looks like front wheel bolt broke, (appears snapped they said) - our theory is it snapped, front wheel came out from under me, I landed on my right and messed up shoulders and folks who fell over me did the wrist damage (again, these our guesses)

So tbh my wife and I are glad that did not happen on my commute in or out of town for work, two months of pain and suffering is far better than some of the alternatives .

Ohh man I came onto you shortly after it happened , I felt terrible for you , its really steep .

That was my 4th ROK but I hadnt done it for 4 years . 7 thousand did it on last attempt . but this one was way better organised . well done everybody . I'd even consider doing some volunteering next year maybe .

Can I ask a question , I have a giant defy , is it worth getting some racing wheels? They looked and sounded fantastic. Do they make much of a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Can I ask a question , I have a giant defy , is it worth getting some racing wheels? They looked and sounded fantastic. Do they make much of a difference

They are a waste of money unless you want to race simple as. I can't understand people doing ROK on deep section carbon wheels. What's the need for them? It's more like "hey look at me, look what my bike has" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭fondriest

Amprodude wrote: »
    They are a waste of money unless you want to race simple as. I can't understand people doing ROK on deep section carbon wheels. What's the need for them? It's more like "hey look at me, look what my bike has" mentality.

I rode it on deep section wheels because all my other wheels are tubulars and I wanted to ride clinchers , there I hope that helps you understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

fondriest wrote:
    I rode it on deep section wheels because all my other wheels are tubulars and I wanted to ride clinchers , there I hope that helps you understand.

It's totally confused me. Don't know about anybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

fondriest wrote: »

Sure there is absolutely no point In having bike bling if you don't get to show it off. It is especially satisfying when it annoys the ingrates:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

cavan4sam wrote: »
    just looked on a few booking sites there very little accomodation for next years cycle left .....is it that all is booked up or hotels havent released the rooms yet ?

I booked my hotel again as I left yesterday. Price was up €20 a night on this year which I thought was a bit much. I still made the reservation just to be covered but I'll keep an eye out for something cheaper. Looking at booking.com this morning prices are very high already. I'm sure lots of rooms have not been released yet but I suspect they are drip feeding them into the market and I'm not sure prices will fall by much. With the registration likely to go up again next year (I'd say they will look for at least €90) it's becoming a VERY expensive weekend. Having done the Ring twice now I'm not sure it's worth it. I could have a very nice long weekend with the while family in Killarney at another time of year for the same price and still cycle around the Ring. But that'll be a decision for another day.

touts wrote: »
    I booked my hotel again as I left yesterday. Price was up €20 a night on this year which I thought was a bit much. I still made the reservation just to be covered but I'll keep an eye out for something cheaper. Looking at booking.com this morning prices are very high already. I'm sure lots of rooms have not been released yet but I suspect they are drip feeding them into the market and I'm not sure prices will fall by much. With the registration likely to go up again next year (I'd say they will look for at least €90) it's becoming a VERY expensive weekend. Having done the Ring twice now I'm not sure it's worth it. I could have a very nice long weekend with the while family in Killarney at another time of year for the same price and still cycle around the Ring. But that'll be a decision for another day.

Was talking to a guy from Portadown at breakfast on saturday morning, he said that the ROK weekend was costing him approx 900euro , thats a lot of money for a spin around Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Was talking to a guy from Portadown at breakfast on saturday morning, he said that the ROK weekend was costing him approx 900euro , thats a lot of money for a spin around Kerry.

I wonder what the average cost is? from registration to accommodation, travelling costs to spending money. I spent the best part of e400. I can see registration alone next year being 100e. A brilliant weekend but not cheap.

I wonder what the average cost is? from registration to accommodation, travelling costs to spending money. I spent the best part of e400. I can see registration alone next year being 100e. A brilliant weekend but not cheap.

I brought the family for a couple of nights so all in all I think it was around €700 . Too expensive for what it is , I really enjoyed the event and the organisation was brilliant on the day but don't think I would do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

We booked a campsite for Friday and Saturday. By the time we got down on Friday it was after 10pm and lashing rain, didn't fancy putting up a tent in that weather. Chanced our arm with two B&Bs that had vacancy signs up and got a room at 10:30pm, score!

We had to pick up our tags on Saturday morning so were a the tent by 6:15 and crossed the start line just after 6:30.

It was a fantastic day's cycling and the weather was perfect really. Training was basically non-existant so we just took it handy and stayed within ourselves. Couldn't believe we were still fresh when we got to the top of Moll's Gap.

I'd echo other people complaints about litter, gel wrappers seemed to be the big offender, which is disappointing considering there's so much real food on offer all the way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Started cycling in March for my 1st ROK so was a complete novice in every sense of the word. I was nervous as hills are not my strong point (to put it mildly) but got through them slow and steady. I really enjoyed the entire day, the volunteers were amazing so friendly, helpful and encouraging. The food stops were brilliant & the music at Coomakista & DJ at Molls were really welcome, finished in 8.30 but to be honest time didn't matter as I was delighted participate in it and complete it. Thanks to everyone here for words of wisdom before it and huge thanks to ROK committee because it was so well organised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Early in the year I was asked would I do the Ring of Kerry with a group. I said I would, and lo and behold an entry appeared with "€200 MINIMUM".

People might think I am a terrible person for this :o, but €200 + expenses ... at least throw in a jersey. Certainly won't be letting anyone sign me up for the charities again. My own fault for agreeing to something without reading the T's & C's.

I left them keep the certificate. Couldn't be looking at em again after the looks they gave me when I handed them a cashless sponsorship card and told them they had all the money via "mycharity.ie" already. They were happy enough to take €100 cash rather than the €200 minimum off people as it turns out, but €200 lodgement seemed to be an issue...:confused:

Had a great day apart from that though! Can't emphasise that enough, but my experience with my designated charity left a sour taste in my mouth compared to other charities that I have cycled for. The cost of direct entry is well worth it, and I would buy my own jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

3rd time to have completed it great weekend thanks to all the volunteers who made it all the more enjoyable.
    Kerry people can certainly do a Cead Mile Failte...
    That pint in Spillanes made Molls Gap more enjoyable.

I have a XXL ROK 2015 jersey unworn if someone has an XL they would like to exchange PM please...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Did anyone else spot the lad doing it in a pair of Jeans and coat? it must have been one hell of a comfy saddle.
    As far as I know, he was marketing for some fashion department. He seemed to be a huge hit for the ladies, he was getting the whistles as he rode along the route.
    That was me.

Long story - I'd fallen off the red-eye from Seattle the previous morning at seven, got home at half eight, fell asleep for seven hours, woke up and as my house is being renovated at the moment and am living out of a suitcase, couldn't find what limited gear I had, rushed out the door as the car needed an urgent service (I don't drive much), didn't have time to visit a bike shop, drove down to Limerick, hours late for meeting some friends there, kipped there for the evening, up at 4:30, down to Killarney, dumped the car on the ring road carpark, on with shorts, then with a wet finger in the coldish air, stuck on a pair of old, loose jeans which I was prepared to dump if the going got wet. It didn't, so no problems with damp jeans and none with chafing. Average speed around the ring was a fairly relaxed 22kph. And no whistles, though a lot of interested chatter! Normal work shoes as well - did nobody notice them? As comfy as could be! And no, it wasn't a "coat", but my regular high-viz jacket with the regular ROK tee-shirt beneath.

Anyhow, the jeans weren't uncomfortable at all, in all fairness, I might chance blowing the cash from any future advertizing deal with Levis on a pair of lycras. And yes, my saddle is wide + well-padded as I do around 200-250k per week back and forth from work. No other training than that though.

The only annoying thing on the cycle was the people dozing around in the middle of the road, forcing those of us going a little bit faster into the oncoming lane; which is not to forgive the nutter who shot past at some point between Sneem and Kenmare, must have been at 40-50kph, head down, only to notice and then swerve past an oncoming car at the last second by inches or less. And completely maddening to see a few messy assholes chucking bottles + gel + sweet wrappers onto the ground. There's no call for that anywhere, let alone somewhere as beautiful as the Ring of Kerry!

Still, a cracking and completely magnificent cycle all the same though, even when jet-lagged and unprepared-for, and fair dues and thanks to the good people who put it all together :)

354330.jpg

354331.jpg

Fair enough but for someone to get them just to look good well then that's another story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Fair enough but for someone to get them just to look good well then that's another story.

So everyone should set out to look bad on their bike?

I've got this cycling game all wrong.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Irish TV channel 191 on Sky showing the coverage of ROK again on Saturday at 2pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

any link to the photographs? Last year there was a gallery which you could navigate by finishing time. Same this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Eamonnator wrote: »
    2nd July. Its always the first Saturday in July.

Roughly when does registration open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

link_2007 wrote: »
    Roughly when does registration open?

This year it was early April. Previous years in March. Following their FB page is a good way to get notified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭willabur

Had a brilliant time at my first ROK.

Arrived into town friday evening and the place was buzzing. Stayed in a hostel in middle of town which was cheap but not a good idea if you are after a good nights sleep. Started at 6.30am, some people were complaining about the amount of people but I actually didn't find it bad at all. Other events which have a single start time tend to be alot more conjested to begin with. As I mentioned before I had feck all training done so made sure to cycle within myself until I got to the top of the hill after Waterville then put the foot down from there.

The stewarts were great, the food stops were top notch. Great atmosphere and the weather helped too. I'm glad the wind was of the tail variety going up Molls gap btw.

Hung on yesterday for the football match which rounded off the weekend wonderfully. Roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭empty21

First cycle event ever was very nervous as had only managed to get up to 60k in training which was the weekend previous. I must say that the volunteers make the event, the stops get you through the day and the organisers have to take special credit for the frequency of them. Thank you all. The views are spectacular along the route, but nothing beats the sense of achievement on completion, I cant or wouldnt complain about the event, its for charity and based on volunteers contribution to the success of the day. Special mention to the djs on molls gap and coomakishta for getting everyone up the climbs, and also the bike repair in Kenmare for sorting out my gearing before the climb, badly needed!! Also Udder cream... Great event, hopefully I will do again next year, and maybe a few more cycles between now and then too!!

So everyone should set out to look bad on their bike?

I've got this cycling game all wrong.:confused:

Obviously , sure I spent big money on bike so it would look crap.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

My 9th ROK. 6h21m cycling. Only stopped in Waterville and Sneem Hotel. Legs were quite tired and tender at the end.

Does anyone know the cycling club sponsored by "Adams of Glin"? I saw one of member throwing a gel wrapper into the bushes as we began climbing Coomakista. I saw him again after Sneem but passed him before I saw whether he would litter again. I would like to mention it to the club secretary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

daymobrew wrote: »
    My 9th ROK. 6h21m cycling. Only stopped in Waterville and Sneem Hotel. Legs were quite tired and tender at the end.

Does anyone know the cycling club sponsored by "Adams of Glin"? I saw one of member throwing a gel wrapper into the bushes as we began climbing Coomakista. I saw him again after Sneem but passed him before I saw whether he would litter again. I would like to mention it to the club secretary.

Glin Knights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

My 7th ring and very enjoyable spin as i just rolled along and just pushed it on the climbs. Only gripe is having to go back through the sandwich room to get back into the tea and coffee room for a second cup, also no / not many rubbish bins in the school grounds at caherciveen this year and possibly some practical solution to hundreds of lads peeing into the school grounds hedge as well as not many porti loos :D
    Hope the injured cyclists heal quickly and return next year.
    Would like a link to finishing photos when someone spots it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Recognize anyone at 1.13 here?

Not my video by the way.

http://youtu.be/AvLHNYK22_I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

My first ring of kerry, started cycling last year and only got a racer in the last few months. Club is not racing just a group of women who like to get out cycling and having CFS doesn't make it easy.
    Friday didn't sleep a wink. Plan was to leave at 6.15 or so but it was 7 before we left hotel.
    I found the more experienced club guys were far safer than the small 1 or 2 person leisure groups, they kept in straight lines, shouted left right etc. I was doing same and kept to the left, shouted and indicated. Got stuck behind a few road hogs, wobbling, suddenly taking foot off the gas and nearly causing accidents. One couple overtook me and she nearly took me out cutting in suddenly and slowed down.
    Group I was with were slow and I shot on ahead few times waiting at stops. Was chilly day so long stops where not much help.
    Food stops - couldnt get a plain cheese ham etc sandwiches without mayo or some form of gunk. Very little food a Kenmare when we got in and we were starving.
    Coomakista - bas*ard wind and thought it got to the top when i heard the drums. Got around the bend and my heart sank when I saw the tourist bus way off in the distance.
    Derreenauliff climb on the way to Sneem was I thought far worse and worse than Molls Gap.
    Molls Gap - slow and steady but again climb is constant.
    Decent after Molls Gap where road gets very narrow with sharp turns - Another bas*ard can't keep speed up and living on the brakes.
    Got my 2nd wind after the decent, took off but did feel like it dragged on.
    Waited for group at hotel no sign said feck it and headed in with 2 others that I kept meeting along the way from Sligo. Finish was dismantled at 8.30 and went back to hotel and waited a few before seeing my own group passing.
    Rubbish - as time went on did notice more and more rubbish on the roads which was a shame. Can understand a bottle falling off when trying to get it back into the cage but food wrappers not on.
    I'd say the chemists ran out of sudocream on saturday :) I think anyone who looked after themselves were only sore that night.
    Top of knee is aching, hands are swollen today and slept for 16 hours so far but other than that I did it and did it without getting any lifts :).

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Route profile from my Garmin
    354359.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

I've never used sudocrem and never had a problem. just wondering does it actually help people or are people just afraid to go without using it.

same for gels - never used one and actually didn't eat too much through whole ROK. got by on slices of brack in my pocket and jelly beans with the odd banana thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

For those who have done the ROK on a number of occasions, is it ever as good as the first?

I just can't imagine having such a good experience as Sat. Started at 7am, finished a few mins past 4pm with plenty time spent at Cahirciveen & Kenmare, mandatory viewing and photos at scenic spots, particularly Coomakista and a few other water, loo & stretching breaks in between.

For the large crowd taking part I didn't find it as overwhelming as I thought I might. Yes, it was slow enough for first 40km or so but had loosened out quite a bit by Cahirciveen. We seemed to get in just before the crowd there and so from a functional point of view I thought it was a brilliant spot with regards picking up food, tea/coffe, getting to the loo and getting water bottles refilled. I found Kenmare smaller and more congested especially in trying to get my tea!!:P

I'm not the strongest on hills but hit Molls Gap at my own pace and told others I'd catch up with them on the descent which I did. Actually it wasn't at all near as bad as what I had anticipated. When your man was announcing one minute to the top I thought he was bull$hitting me but he wasn't!!:D I think I found the climb to Coomakista tougher, had a slight wind against me at that stage. While I love the downhills and wouldn't experience any fear by danger zone 4 coming down other side of Molls Gap I'd had enough with my right shoulder and hand getting sore from pulling on the brakes!!

Such a great buzz on finishing and so glad to have completed it. It's a massive event in terms of numbers and well done to Kerry for hosting such a successful and enjoyable event. The registration process on the Fri evening went quick and seemless for us (shame the weather was so wet, I can only imagine the atmosphere if it had been anything like Sat evening), the food stops and all other businesses along the route were excellent and welcoming as were all the supporters and marshals and gardaí were so helpful so a huge thanks to all those involved.

On the slight downside, the initial registration process on website and office administration prior to the event could be improved. Very confusing and vague information, hate to say it but verging on the unhelpful if a name transfer is taking place. I appreciate it's not what's meant to happen but it does and all this confusion with acceptance slips and sponsorship cards etc could or should be avoided.

I agree with the poster who mentioned about the car park being so crowded upon return. It took us ages to get from finishing line back around to tent for cert. I then ended up wheeling my bike around while carrying my helmet, cert and drink. No where to lean bike against and no where to sit so in end with sun blazing down I had to give up on waiting for others coming in.

Finally, I know a huge number taking part are not club cyclists and that of course is fine. You don't however need to be a club cyclist to be able to shout just a few warnings....and undoubtedly there were plenty of club cyclists too who didn't shout warnings either. Simply when pulling out /on your outside / pulling in etc would suffice on ROK. It was dangerous and only time I muttered bad language to myself during the day.

Don't want to end note on a dampener so once again I'll repeat it was a most fantastic day, a fabulous event and I'm still on a high from it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

3rd ROK cycle and loved it!

One thing that stick out to me all day was the craziness of some cyclists. For example as we were entering Cahirsiveen a car was coming toward us in the opposite lane, when three lads passed between myself and the car, they were in the cars lane and one of them had the neck to shout at him "slow down you ****ing asshole" they almost caused an accident. No wonder we get a bad name from some quarters. Do some of the cyclists on the day think the roads are closed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Most notable jerseys, not easy with all the high vis rain gear, but the Waterford Biscuit gang made their annual appearance, i saw a wallace and gromit but the most notable was a guy in a blonde wig with pigtails and his entire kit was a lady in her undies, hilarious but it's these things that make the day special.:D

It's pretty difficult not to miss our jerseys, great craic along the route including cycling alongside the guy in the wig. He was having a good laugh with a few of our lot too.

My first ROK and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not worth going into the faults of being on the road considering they've been repeated numerous times. My main objective was to get around in one piece and survive which I did and surprisingly wasn't tired after the spin. I expected more of a challenge up Coomakista and Molls Gap but they were dead handy. Thankfully the weather held up for us throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Eamonnator wrote: »
    @kerry4sam
    @cavan4sam
    Are you guys related?

Wait for it! Cavan4SAM 2015 ;)
    keano25 wrote: »
    3rd ROK cycle and loved it!

One thing that stick out to me all day was the craziness of some cyclists. For example as we were entering Cahirsiveen a car was coming toward us in the opposite lane, when three lads passed between myself and the car, they were in the cars lane and one of them had the neck to shout at him "slow down you ****ing asshole" they almost caused an accident. No wonder we get a bad name from some quarters. Do some of the cyclists on the day think the roads are closed??

Just on this. The motorcycle marshals were numbered whereas the Official Cycle Marshals were not.
    1 of the Official Cycle Marshals prevented a crash and I don't think he knew it!

The driver of the broom-wagon spotted on-coming traffic and put his hand out the window to encourage those attempting to pass to pull back in but they kept going. The Marshal then put his hand out to beckon those behind to pull back in but all that was there was a car trying to pass. He would've passed only for the Cycle-Marshal. He pulled back in just in time before the on-coming traffic reached him.

Those Official-Marshals were Great. Saw a few chatting away to people who they saw struggling a little at times and it seemed to give them a boost once the Marshal cycled on :)

Saw a few close calls. Think those who cycled to the right of the line saved a lot of bunching as they cycled at their own pace; more-often-than-not safely on the right-side; and kept to themselves at their own pace.

Thanks to the Marshals too,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭saccades

My first ROK.
    Started at 7am from my B&B in Beaufort, meant the missus could have a lie in.
    Enjoyed myself going around - roads are in great nick (compared to what I'm used to wicklow), first main climb wasn't too bad – straight up in 5th (IGH – 5th is direct drive and most efficient), enjoyed the view and then enjoyed the descent even more.
    Had read about molls gap and knew it was long but on a par with the Wicklow gap so dialled the effort back to make sure I got up – wasn’t too bad. Legs ached but hardest bit was not being able to see the top.
    Loved the descent – had a cheeky race down with some fella who was way fitter than me (black gear, with wood sponsorship?). I’d spin out but tucked and slipstreamed plus used all my mtb experience to keep up with him, he was able to use the full width of the closed road which I didn’t want to try to get my head around whilst railing around the bends. Destroyed my legs doing it but it was such fun.
    Got my cert (pretty early – managed 6hrs 39mins in total) quickly and easily and then cycled onwards back to the B&B to complete my loop. Quick shower and back into town for a brilliant night, was done for by 11 mind. Cycled back in for the car on the Sunday morning and then went back around ladies view end of the loop in the car with the missus to see what I’d missed. The drive from molls gap to the dunlow gap via black valley was a blast – the missus nearly threw up mind.
    Big thanks to all the marshals for all their hard work and congrats to all the riders – made the day.
    Hope the guy on the 1930’s sit up and beg singlespeed with rod brakes made it all the way around.
    Extra thanks to the bunch of glinn knights? I tagged along with for ~1/4 of the route (perfectly behaved club working well to keep the speed up) – although as we passed by one lady she told us “all the sandwiches have gone lads” in the most dry & twisted manner possible – made me chuckle for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

kerry4sam wrote:
    Wait for it! Cavan4SAM 2015

Yip you guessed it .....i didnt get much sympathy watching the game in town either although the adrenaline after the cycle made up for the disappointment of the game .....

in short.. try wiping your arse tomorrow with no movement or strength in your arms :)

My mates tell me today looks like front wheel bolt broke, (appears snapped they said) - our theory is it snapped, front wheel came out from under me, I landed on my right and messed up shoulders and folks who fell over me did the wrist damage (again, these our guesses)

So tbh my wife and I are glad that did not happen on my commute in or out of town for work, two months of pain and suffering is far better than some of the alternatives .

Well you're the first boardsie I've spotted on youtube :)

Look at ya all banged up around the 1:10 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLHNYK22_I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

For anyone who had pics taken after the cycle at the "I am a Skoda cycling legend" poduim they have been posted on the Simply Pedal facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donny sarko

The Killarney camera club will post them all on the ROK Facebook page. This usually takes about a month tho' as they must have so many to go through. They then post folders of start and finish times, so if you know what times you crossed you should find yourself easy enough.

Also search #rokexperience on Facebook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well you're the first boardsie I've spotted on youtube :)

Look at ya all banged up around the 1:10 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvLHNYK22_I
    gone :(

gone :(

Bummer. You looked in great form to be honest the gas must've kicked in. Do you remember. Did they leave your helmet on as a precaution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

When I checked in at the hotel the night before I was told they only have cereal and continental breakfast from 5-7:30 and hot food after that. As I was planning on starting at 6 that shot my plans a bit - I don't eat any grains and minimal carbs. I ended up buying cheese, nuts and fruit in Tesco.
    I got up at 5:30, had some cheese and nuts and got going, getting to the start line around 6:10 or so. There was a misty rain/drizzle for the first 50k on and off, but there was a good atmosphere. Stopped at 65k or so and got coffee and water. Stopped again at 80k and had a couple of bananas and coffee and same again in Kenmare.
    As I hadn't been out more than once a week on the bike and only once more than 80k this year, I was happy to get around in 7:38 (cycling time). Not sure I'd do it again, as there were a few too many on the road for my liking. Apart from the crowds, I really enjoyed the event.
    Big thanks to all the volunteers and marshals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

If you have uploaded your ROK spin to Strava playing with the new 'Flyby' feature is pretty cool since there are so many cyclists you would have crossed paths with on Saturday. It also helps confirm my theory (to myself!) that starting around 8am is good if you want to avoid a lot of traffic as by the time you catch up with bulk of the crowd they are already in Cachervieen drinking tea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

BailMeOut wrote: »
    If you have uploaded your ROK spin to Strava playing with the new 'Flyby' feature is pretty cool since there are so many cyclists you would have crossed paths with on Saturday. It also helps confirm my theory (to myself!) that starting around 8am is good if you want to avoid a lot of traffic as by the time you catch up with bulk of the crowd they are already in Cachervieen drinking tea!
    You can't use that feature with the phone it has to be a pc I think , I've seen it last week, it's very cool😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bummer. You looked in great form to be honest the gas must've kicked in. Do you remember. Did they leave your helmet on as a precaution?

They were worried about damaging that epic beard if they went at the straps. They were bringing specialists in last I heard.

Funny things I saw on the day.

An old rusty high nelly bike that was squeeking.

A woman with a track pump on the side of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Funny things I saw on the day.

An old rusty high nelly bike that was squeeking.

A woman with a track pump on the side of the bike.

I also saw jeans man a couple of times.
    Man with track pump in his pannier.
    Girl with a leather handbag in her wire basket.
    A lad in a clown costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

hardCopy wrote: »
    I also saw jeans man a couple of times.
    Man with track pump in his pannier.
    Girl with a leather handbag in her wire basket.
    A lad in a clown costume.

What about the guy with the guitar strapped onto his back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Woman with rabbit ears
    saw the guy with the guitar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement