Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What about the guy with the guitar strapped onto his back

He told me he was getting ready to kick off a session in Caherciveen :) Never met the man again after we past each other though so I don't know. Hope so though - cracking sense of humor by him!

The guys & gals with their own music & speakers on their bikes. Savage Ideas! Speakers looked wicked by them!

Had bitta banter with one guy wearing jeans after Sneem. Mighty form so he & his mate were! Very Funny those guys! They shortened my cycle to Kenmare that's for sure.

Passed by two tandems - both doing brilliant! One had a male & female and the female got a bitta slagging in that those lads around them at the time I met them were telling the fella peddling in front that she was doing no work in the back! They both laughed off the banter though!

Just Wonderful Characters right throughout this day :)
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grahader

So many colours and designs on the day - but the Snickers Team Gear really stuck out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I hope injuries/arse are healing ok.

I passed one guy in the middle of the road unable to move and another being put on a stretcher. Scary but one seems to be doing well anyway and able to type.

I had a fantastic day, really brilliant. I found the first 20 miles the toughest and had a chocolate eclair at 10km as was wrecked. Not sure if I slept the night before but up at 5.15. Passed the start at 6.20. Wind and rain on the first leg was tough going. I had spare top and run sleeves that I put on in Glenbiegh that saved me. Back on the road again and it started off hard as I'd already forgotten the strength of the wind and it looked like we were on a flat road but it was a struggle but put it down to bad road surface.

Had big long break in Cahersiveen/Waterville/Sneem and Kenmare. The people out cheering before 7am I couldn't believe. All cycle marshal's/repair crews/volunteers were fantastic.

I found the journey to Cahersiveen the most stressful for the gangs passing at speed, on the wrong side of the road and then shouting 'car up/down' this made it worse.

I went up Coomakista with one of the cycle marshals and he was great company.

I think it helped that I didn't know the route or what was to come so didn't then struggle at all. A truly fantastic day out. My first ROK and so proud. Delighted to have enjoyed it, no punctures and good fitness really helped as not much training done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Seen him on the way to Killorglin before 7.15am and then on the way back in about 8pm into Killarney...:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

saw the guy in the clown suit - 2nd year meeting him, quite a character
    lady with handbag
    guy in the ladies undies suit

lady with hard plastic lunch box in back pocket - must have been uncomfortable
    guy with a massive bum bag type unit with 2 extra water bottles hanging off it - again must have been uncomfortable

bikes with creaks and groans and rattles - often wonder how these people do and if they get around it ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

aquinn wrote: »

I found the journey to Cahersiveen the most stressful for the gangs passing at speed, on the wrong side of the road and then shouting 'car up/down' this made it worse.

There really isn't anything to worry about from club groups shouting, it's not at you, it's safety instructions being passed from the front of the group to the back of the group or vice versa. Only the front guys can see upcoming potholes or parked cars etc so it's their job to pass the information back down the line. All you need to do is hold your own line and they'll pass you without any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Saw the snickers gear too!! Stood out! I met the buiscuit men from Waterford and I must saw there was some lovely club kits on the road, west Clare cc had a nice one,was beside a group of fine lookin women for about 20 ks around 7.40 out of killorglin, serious banter outa them I think they were from Galway , well one was but they were slaggin one about her fake tan and she told me they were only cycling a few months but were mad into it, there were holding a serious pace , 30's average, one even dropped us and we caught her outside caherciveen!! I told her to take a wheel and we would buy her an ice cream in sneem but we lost her somewhere, tough cookie tho! Great weekend , Guinness in Killarney is the best recovery drink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Considering what you witnessed,are you sure it was the ROK you were on & not just a spin through kenmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Fantastic cycle. Fantastic weekend in Killarney. We had a blast. The route itself isn't at all challenging but the crack and banter along the way was brilliant. The locals on the route are amazing. We stopped in Waterville to regroup and a guy there let us use the toilet in his house and he refilled our water bottles. His neighbour gave us fruit and a guy with a stall set up outside gave us coffee and flapjacks. They really get behind the event. We didn't want to leave there, we were having such a good time. We also stopped for ages in Sneem. The crack there on the street was mighty. It was hard to leave it! Molls gap is grand. It goes on a bit but I've gone up a lot harder climbs. I loved the descent. I was flying down and was tempted to unclip the cleats, throw my legs out to the sides and shout "Whooooooo hoooooooo" the whole way down!

The Vaggabond, were you on the road just before Cahirciveen? We passed a guy who was down and another cyclist told us his wheel had come off. If it was you I'm glad to see you are alive!! This guy wasn't moving and we thought he was done for.

I got hit by a bus. Ok that's a bit over dramatic but one clipped my shoulder when he tried to overtake us on a bend but had to pull in because there were cars coming against him. Everyone had to brake and I had barely cleared the back when he pulled over and tipped my shoulder. Luckily I was almost at a standstill. There was almost a massive pile up on the road behind him.

We set out around 6.50 and I didn't find the roads overly congested. There were parts where you had to have your wits about you but overall it was fine. There is great credit due to all the organisers and volunteers behind this. I know there was the whole hoo ha over registration earlier on in the year but the work they do behind the scenes is trojan and ensures a very enjoyable day. I'll be going back next year if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I left the guitar guy at Molls gap. One of our girls nearly got hit by a car at Kilorglin stupid woman tried to shoot across the road even after the steward had stopped traffic. We left him standing in front of the car waving his arms giving out to her. Then a bus in Waterville, think he swerved in to park in front of them and nearly caused a crash.
    I will say the fiasco with the tickets and some of the comments by the organisers may cost them next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFfsUBlvPc

A small video of our spin around the ring ...

Youtube channel - Biscuit club Waterford

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

greenspurs wrote: »
    http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFfsUBlvPc

A small video of our spin around the ring ...

Youtube channel - Biscuit club Waterford

One to many https:// should work now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    One to many https:// should work now

Legend .. thanks ! was wondering what the problem was ! :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Great video Greenspurs, gives a great feel of the day. And I'm in it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

2015 RING OF KERRY CHARITY CYCLE PARTICIPANT SURVEY

They really do use the feedback from these surveys to keep making this event better and better so take a few minutes to fill out - see https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YNY2J5H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

from the ROK FB page...
    The Killarney Camera Club will be uploading photos to their website from the 2015 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle over the coming days. There are over 12,000 images but hopefully the work will be completed early next week. Thank you Killarney Camera Club for your support.
    http://www.killarneycameraclub.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

2015 RING OF KERRY CHARITY CYCLE AWARDS CEREMONY

The 2015 ROK Charity Awards Ceremony was held last night in Killarney. The final amount raised by the amazing cyclists was revealed. This year we have gone further than last year and thanks to all our cyclists we raised a staggering €1,890,820. This is up €250,000 from last year!! A huge thank you to all the cyclists, volunteers and sponsors for making the ROK Charity Cycle such a huge success.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement