Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle 2015 - entry transfers closed - do not request entries

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

touts wrote: »
    there seems to be much more buzz about it.

Would say the opposite. I've no doubt it will sell out again, but most cyclists I know are staying away this year, including some who have done it for several years now. Maybe it's just different circles, but there is a lot more focus on other events this year. The gloss has come off the rok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

mossym wrote: »
    Would say the opposite. I've no doubt it will sell out again, but most cyclists I know are staying away this year, including some who have done it for several years now. Maybe it's just different circles, but there is a lot more focus on other events this year. The gloss has come off the rok

Ya.... that's the feeling I get as well. My mates wont pay €200 and if they don't get in on Opening Day Registration... they not arsed either way.

My priority this year is the Rebel Tour in Sept.... have done this last 3 years and a great day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I've never done the rok,and was thinking off doing it this year.So I know a group of lads who've done it the last 3 years and asked them about joining up with then to ride it this year as they know the ropes regarding signing up,plus info on the route itself,lenght of climds,road surface,feed stops etc etc.And none of them are entering this year.Reasons given were cost of entry,cost of hotel room,pressure from the charitys to raise above what the charitys have listed as the minimum figure.To an outsider like me,to enter the rok seems a lot harder,more confusing with the 2 different dates to sign up by (either with a charity or as an individual) than other sportive events. Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200,its just a case off signing up on the opening online date,paying a slightly over the odds fee and any charity money you wish to raise is up to yourself to sort out. The rok cycle itself I'll manage,but all the signing up charity stuff has me worn out trying to follow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I've never done the rok,and was thinking off doing it this year.So I know a group of lads who've done it the last 3 years and asked them about joining up with then to ride it this year as they know the ropes regarding signing up,plus info on the route itself,lenght of climds,road surface,feed stops etc etc.And none of them are entering this year.Reasons given were cost of entry,cost of hotel room,pressure from the charitys to raise above what the charitys have listed as the minimum figure.To an outsider like me,to enter the rok seems a lot harder,more confusing with the 2 different dates to sign up by (either with a charity or as an individual) than other sportive events. Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200,its just a case off signing up on the opening online date,paying a slightly over the odds fee and any charity money you wish to raise is up to yourself to sort out. The rok cycle itself I'll manage,but all the signing up charity stuff has me worn out trying to follow!!

Easiest way sign up on the Tuesday 7th of April on the ROK website for €80 no extra sponsorship needed as far as i know.
    If you don't get that entry look at the charity route you may have to raise sponsorship,
    If you do get a direct entry and you want to contribute a little more buy a jersey.
    Ring around for accommodation now as that is harder to secure. Dealing direct with the hotel they will give you a better deal. We booked 2 months ago and we are securing it money wise start of June.
    You can stop where you want and there is plenty of towns it passes through and water stops are ample.
    The main food stops are coming out of Cahersiveen and Kenmare a lot of people dont go to the official stops they just go to the garages so bring a few bob but you might miss out on a massage in Kenmare......
    You will never be on your own its amazing 8000 to 10000 people out on their bikes
    Enjoy it is the main thing its a great weekend if you put in some decent training the cycle will be the easy bit.
    Oh and last one don't be reading this thread and worrying yourself needlessly.

Compared to the other big sportive event,the ww200

plenty of other options for events around that are as big/bigger than the WW200 as well if you are looking for one. rebel tour has been mentioned, tour de burren, sean kelly are all great days out. they're probably a better day out for cyclists than the ROK which is more aimed at everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

mossym wrote: »
    plenty of other options for events around that are as big/bigger than the WW200 as well if you are looking for one. rebel tour has been mentioned, tour de burren, sean kelly are all great days out. they're probably a better day out for cyclists than the ROK which is more aimed at everyone

Dont forget the boards Evil 200.......Now thats a spin not to miss!

Dont forget the boards Evil 200.......Now thats a spin not to miss!

apologies to all events i may have missed, that list wasn't at all meant to be definitive:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Have booked a spot and have almost €100 raised already. First year doing it, work in a kerry based bike shop so it's my turn this year to get to do it. Doing it with a good bunch so should be a bit of craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Just announced on the ROK FB page....
    Opening of the online registration for the 2015 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle.
    The online registration for the 2015 Ring of Kerry Charity Cycle will open at 1.00pm on Tuesday April 7th. To register your place online go to www.ringofkerrycycle.ie
    The 9 nominated charities have already recruited their cyclists and due to health & safety there is a limit to the number of cyclists who can participate as in previous years. The organising committee anticipate that the registration process will close in record time due to the huge interest in this year’s cycle. We would therefore encourage everyone to register as soon as possible once the online process opens. The organising committee cannot guarantee that everyone will receive a place.
    All information on the charities, the cycle and the registration process is available on www.ringofkerrycycle.ie

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

This years jersey is also on sale e30 a pop. I'm not mad about the yellow on the front so i'll give it a miss. For me the first official jersey is still the nicest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Received Sponsorship form in the post today,Time to start serious training.
    Roll on July..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

You can order the ROK jersey from today, €30 plus €3 postage

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fear Ciarrai

Anyone know of accommodation available in or near the town for the weekend? PM please

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Just ordered mine.I think the red is nice on it this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ordered mine too. Thanks OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

If you register for the cycle, will a jersey be part of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Nemanrio wrote: »
    If you register for the cycle, will a jersey be part of it?

No. You have to order and pay for the jersey separately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Eamonnator wrote: »
    No. You have to order and pay for the jersey separately.

If in any doubt, once Kerry is in title take it you'll be paying a few times... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Mods - can we consolidate all the Ring of Kerry 2015 threads into a single official one. Previous years we just had one and I think there are five going at moment!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone know of accommodation available in or near the town for the weekend? PM please

Any advice for finding accommodation for a group of 10? Everything in Killarney seems to be booked up already so I'm guessing we'll have to look at a nearby town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

J o e wrote: »
    Any advice for finding accommodation for a group of 10? Everything in Killarney seems to be booked up already so I'm guessing we'll have to look at a nearby town.

Pack a tent or hire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Really new to cycling, as in only started in January, is it too much to think I could do the ROK? Only up as far as 60k so far, any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

FP15 wrote: »
    Really new to cycling, as in only started in January, is it too much to think I could do the ROK? Only up as far as 60k so far, any advice appreciated.

Not at all. It's not 180kms all together. It's killarney to glenbeigh, mini break. Then caherciveen for breakfast then a short spin to Waterville, little break. Climb to Coomakishta, break, cycle to sneem, break, Kenmare; break and massage then the last climb to Molls and back to Killarney.

Basically it's well broken up, plus you'll be way fitter and have more done by July. It's not a tough cycle, it's enjoyable.

You don't need to have done massive training spins at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You're doing fine just build up the distances gradually and with the longer daylight hours maybe 3 spins per week. There's a very good training programme on the Rok website. On the day itself just pace yourself and you'll get there, it's a long slog and remember both mountain climbs are in the second half of the route, if possible travel in a group as this saves a lot of energy and the craic as you cycle is priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

If you can out in the time 3/4 times a week to build up you will be fine. I only started cycling in April last year, had never even cycled 20k. There is a really good training programme on the website and if you manage to do 2-3 short spins and one long spin a week you will be fine. The longest route I did before the big day was only 80k and I made it round no problem even carrying an extra 3 stone (I don't advise that!). Ty find a local club or leisure group to get out with, and try go on a few advertised charity cycles beforehand. There are a lot this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Btw the local papers in Kerry are advertising Tuesday 1pm for registrations to open, with an entry of 85 euro, up from the 70 last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It's official: 1.00pm on Tuesday.

http://www.ringofkerrycycle.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Btw the local papers in Kerry are advertising Tuesday 1pm for registrations to open, with an entry of 85 euro, up from the 70 last year.

That increase is really a bit much, does nothing for goodwill towards the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Masala

I read earlier in thread that it was going to be €80!!! Slipped an extra €5 on to the fee over 2 weeks!!!!

Talk about moving the goal posts. Naughty naughty....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

That increase is really a bit much, does nothing for goodwill towards the event.

Yip, doing it this year with a friend who hasn't done it yet and thats it for me, plenty of other events at more reasonable prices to choose from. Between registration, accommodation and travelling its too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford in August is a far better experience (top class organisation and souvenir Jersey included @ €40). Have the accommodation booked for ROK but It would not bother me to miss it given the information out there right now. Might take a stroll in the national park instead :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    ...It's not 180kms all together. It's killarney to glenbeigh, mini break. Then caherciveen for breakfast then a short spin to Waterville, little break. Climb to Coomakishta, break, cycle to sneem, break, Kenmare; break and massage then the last climb to Molls and back to Killarney...
    It's not even 180k when broken up either! Why do they keep advertising it as 180k when it's about 170k? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Masala wrote: »
    I read earlier in thread that it was going to be €80!!! Slipped an extra €5 on to the fee over 2 weeks!!!!

Talk about moving the goal posts. Naughty naughty....

Don't forget there'll more than likely be a transaction fee of €2.50 or similar thrown in at checkout aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FP15

Thanks for the advice, did 55k yesterday and found it very tough but did 25k today to loosen up and felt grand, think the wind hurt me yesterday - will just have to toughen up & hope for the best on Tuesday when registration opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Contacted St. John of God's and St. Francis's Special School today and got automatic replies to say all their places are gone. I've also emailed Down Syndrome Ireland I mean Kerry but no response yet.

I hate raising money too, but that is the reason for the whole event so I just grimaced and went for it last time (2013) and had no bother at all raising over €100 (can't remember the final figure but that was the minimum.)

I haven't done many sportives, but I've done a few (including the Tour of Waterford) and the ROK was hands down no bother no question or doubt about it THE best day I've ever had on my bike. It is just magical. Started at 6am and I'll never forget coming into the first food stop (Cahirciveen? Waterville?) at about 8 or 8:30 and coming round the back of the clubhouse to see two GAA pitches jammed with thousands of bikes and people. Wonderful experience, not to be missed IMHO.

*Disclaimer: I cycled with a pal from the area so had no accommodation costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Was thinking of getting tickets tomorrow, rang a few places for accommodation. Rumour is nothing going inside 30k from killarney.

tickets are available now folk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Can't see the attraction this year, for the total cost for the ROK incl accommodation you could probably grab a week in Majorca off season

mamax wrote: »
    Can't see the attraction this year, for the total cost for the ROK incl accommodation you could probably grab a week in Majorca off season

Could you travel home after the cycle?

And the registration system has fouled itself :(

• Advertisement

mamax wrote: »

Seriously? Didn't take long for this..

ronoc wrote: »
    And the registration system has fouled itself :(

What's up?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 creamcracker30

Why is the registration for the Ring of Kerry cycle so expensive?? It's €85 which I wasn't expecting!! The website doesn't say what you get for that money.

jon1981 wrote: »
    What's up?

The eventmaster site has crashed.

ronoc wrote: »
    The eventmaster site has crashed.

Jaysus... it's in demand this year!

Why is the registration for the Ring of Kerry cycle so expensive?? It's €85 which I wasn't expecting!! The website doesn't say what you get for that money.

Yeah it is expensive to be fair, you dont get much for the money other than a cert at the end. No jersey only some free food at the stops. Though, when would you get the chance to cycle some these roads closed off to traffic...i guess that's the other appeal

:eek: Thats a bit steep tbf. I don't think I will be going now.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Yeah it is expensive to be fair, you dont get much for the money other than a cert at the end. No jersey only some free food at the stops. Though, when would you get the chance to cycle some these roads closed off to traffic...i guess that's the other appeal

When there is traffic is it dangerous and/or busy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Every year the same complaints , its too expensive :D
    Well if you dont want to pay a premium for a charity cycle with 9000 other lycra clad eejits , cycle the ROK any other day of the year , or do one of the many many other events in the country which range from €10 to €40 .

€85 is quiet expensive compared to other events but its for charity and its a great day out . What is really shocking is the price of accommodation in Killarney :eek:

Nemanrio wrote: »
    :eek: Thats a bit steep tbf. I don't think I will be going now.

When there is traffic is it dangerous and/or busy?

Id imagine so with some of the descents on the route. You'd be coming down at speed with oncoming traffic otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Haven't seen a ticket website run this slow since Garth Brooks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement