Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in buying a new PS3?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Hi lads and lassies. I'm a lapsed gamer here thinking about getting back into the game. Is there any point in buying a new PS3 now or should I wait for the PS4 to get a bit cheaper? The PS3 is also much more expensive than I had though it would be for last generation technology. Used ones on adverts and donedeal also seem to be expensive. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Just had a look on adverts and they seem to be reasonable enough pricewise. The console is still being produced and will be supported for a few years. Go with the ps3 over ps4 if you're outta the gaming loop. Cheap games, large online community and PS+ is also a decent service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was the same OP, except a PS3 was bought for me last year. Ive not been found wanting for any games so far, though I believe there is a new Tomb Raider out only on PS4.

If you are lapsed it might be better to go the cheaper route as you may tire of playing games pretty quick as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You literally have thousands of games to choose from if you go for a PS3. I only have my PS3 a year and it definitely gets more playtime than my PS4. There is no competition in terms of value for money either. PS3 games are almost being given away if you know where to look (certain online stores, ebay etc.).

Nothing stopping you picking up a PS4 in a couple of years once this generation fully gets into it's stride.
    gimmick wrote: »
    I was the same OP, except a PS3 was bought for me last year. Ive not been found wanting for any games so far, though I believe there is a new Tomb Raider out only on PS4.

If you are lapsed it might be better to go the cheaper route as you may tire of playing games pretty quick as well.

This is exclusive to the Xbox One. It is only a timed exclusive though so it will be out on the PS4 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You literally have thousands of games to choose from if you go for a PS3. I only have my PS3 a year and it definitely gets more playtime than my PS4. There is no competition in terms of value for money either. PS3 games are almost being given away if you know where to look (certain online stores, ebay etc.).

Nothing stopping you picking up a PS4 in a couple of years once this generation fully gets into it's stride.

This is exclusive to the Xbox One. It is only a timed exclusive though so it will be out on the PS4 eventually.

Cheers. Where's the best place to pick up one at the best price? Amazon's bundle with Destiny at £199 is the cheapest I've seen.

Cheers. Where's the best place to pick up one at the best price? Amazon's bundle with Destiny at £199 is the cheapest I've seen.

To be honest I don't know. I bought mine last year from Amazon bundled with The Last of Us and Batman: Arkham Origins for roughly the price you mentioned. They seemed to have hung onto their value which is surprising. Maybe wait to hear other peoples opinions on why you may opt for a PS4 in that case. It's a tough choice but a nice problem to have all the same.

The obvious places to try would be Smyths and Argos. There's almost a new deal in Argos every other week. Also, make sure whatever bundle you go for includes a game that you actually want. No point in opting for the Destiny bundle if it's not your type of game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pac1Man wrote: »

what would these online stores be called?

thanks

gimmick wrote: »
    what would these online stores be called?

thanks

The site below is one I use often. Add £2 for delivery and that's the final price. Every other day the will be a sale so it's worth keeping an eye.
    www.thegamecollection.net

There are other sites like Zavvi and Hdwow but I'm not sure on the delivery times or if there is a risk of customs charges with these.

Advertisement