Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car for three under 4?

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to need a new car. When my third child is born I'll have a 3 year old and two year old also. I want something that will easily fit three car seats with room in a boot for a buggy and suitcase etc!
    I don't mind how big it is really but would like it to be good looking rather than bus like!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm going to need a new car. When my third child is born I'll have a 3 year old and two year old also. I want something that will easily fit three car seats with room in a boot for a buggy and suitcase etc!
    I don't mind how big it is really but would like it to be good looking rather than bus like!

Mercedes Viano. My kids are very similar ages, so a group 2-3 seat, ERF toddler, and baby seat too. I take my pram everywhere for the baby, but the double for the older lads fits as well if necessary. We have loads of space for everything and everyone, and its honestly the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Mine's the extra-long wheelbase version and still fits in our short driveway and into most standard parking spaces (though you need to find two spaces together to parallel park or you can't open the boot!) With 3 smallies, I couldn't recommend it more highly!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found the Ford Galaxy really spacious for 3 under 4.
    The 2nd row has 2 isofix points for the rear facing seats and the eldest was in the middle and forward facing and the boot is huge and then if you have visitors and need to put the 3rd row seats up they are full size adult seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am no good on cars but our minder has a citreon c4 Picasso 7 seater which has 3 isofix points in the second row. (It might be called a grand Picasso?)
    She used to have a ford s max 7 seater which she loved but I think they are more expensive? The s max was before my time so I can't advise on isofix points etc.

Also my neighbour has recently bought a Peugeot 5008 which she is raving about.

Both have underfloor storage in the second row behind driver and passenger seats.....so any car seat with a supporting leg cannot be fitted over it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We have a 307sw, can have 2 erfs with a prop leg and one without across the back. There's 3 individual seats so loads of room and boot is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Raven_SK

take a look at a skoda octavia comes in 1.4 ,1.6 1.9 ticks all the boxes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Try the Mazda 5 as well. It has sliding doors, which can be very handy with small children in carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Millem wrote: »
    I am no good on cars but our minder has a citreon c4 Picasso 7 seater which has 3 isofix points in the second row. (It might be called a grand Picasso?)
    She used to have a ford s max 7 seater which she loved but I think they are more expensive? The s max was before my time so I can't advise on isofix points etc.

Also my neighbour has recently bought a Peugeot 5008 which she is raving about.

Both have underfloor storage in the second row behind driver and passenger seats.....so any car seat with a supporting leg cannot be fitted over it.

Millem I didn't know that you can't put a seat with the supporting leg can't be fitted over the storage area?

Raven_SK wrote: »

You won't fit three seats across a scoda octavia. two proper five point harness seats suitable up to 4.5 yrs or more and a baby seat.
    Have you tried it

I have 3 under 4 and it couldn't be done.
    What seats did you have

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Raven_SK wrote: »

I have a skoda octavia 2008 1.9 tdi and it will not fit 3 car seats across back seat. With 2 car seats the bit unused in the middle is tiny and a booster seat will not for there

Edit I just see that I posted at same time as monflat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

The likes of a passat, insignia, mazda 6 and mondeo will all take 3 baby seats in the back, well should. Try looking at large family saloons before people carriers, they're a last resort :P

• Advertisement

The likes of a passat, insignia, mazda 6 and mondeo will all take 3 baby seats in the back, well should. Try looking at large family saloons before people carriers, they're a last resort :P

No won't fit we got rid of one a month ago for this reason if you want your child in a five point harness seat they won't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

monflat wrote: »
    Millem I didn't know that you can't put a seat with the supporting leg can't be fitted over the storage area?

The leg support must be only fitted on a solid floor. The rational behind it is that God forbid in a crash the seat could rotate and leg could buckle if not installed on a solid floor. Tony kealys (who I usually think are great) never told us this when we got out baby seat and when we were buying our ERF they told us to just take off storage lid in our minder's car. :eek: Incarsafety were the one's (thank God) who pointed it out to us. If you haven or are buying a britax seat they have a "fit finder" which will point out exactly where abouts in the car each seat can be installed.

Tbh those storage compartments are such a waste of time I can't understand why the manufacturers continue to put them in family cars who will more than likely have isofix car seats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Mr Frog

Opel zafira

Millem wrote: »
    The leg support must be only fitted on a solid floor. The rational behind it is that God forbid in a crash the seat could rotate and leg could buckle if not installed on a solid floor. Tony kealys (who I usually think are great) never told us this when we got out baby seat and when we were buying our ERF they told us to just take off storage lid in our minder's car. :eek: Incarsafety were the one's (thank God) who pointed it out to us. If you haven or are buying a britax seat they have a "fit finder" which will point out exactly where abouts in the car each seat can be installed.

Tbh those storage compartments are such a waste of time I can't understand why the manufacturers continue to put them in family cars who will more than likely have isofix car seats.

Ah that makes sense alright. Yes those compartments are a bit of a nuisance. Especially with small little people!

What's an ERF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Would a ford mondeo or Bmw 5 series take 3 car seats?

Sligo1 wrote: »

No. It won't.

I had my heart set on a bmw5 series estate
    Test drove loads.
    It's that middle seat it's like a little hump and it makes things a lot narrower.

I also tried a high back booster a child seat and a baby seat.
    The door wouldn't shut.

I really thought thou that three seats would fit but they won't.

In reality if you have 3 children under 5 you definitely need a wagon!

No. It won't.

Test drove loads.
    It's that middle seat it's like a little hump and it makes things a lot narrower.

The door wouldn't shut.

O crap..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I wouldn't say so. The trick for the 3 car seats is a car with 3 individual seats in back.

I find 7 seaters very expensive when you don't actually need the 2 extra seats. So far I have had a 307sw and now a ford C Max. The 307sw was actually bigger but I find the C Max better with the hight.

I had to get rid of a Rav 4 as it wouldn't fit the 3 seats

My street cred goes down with every child I have... Lol

["Sligo1;93684818"]O crap..... :([/quote]

Yes!!
    Now I did drive around my old car until I saved a.few euro towards a newer one.

A baby or child is allowed in front seat of car in the proper car seat.

A baby can be placed in a rear facing seat in front passenger seat ONLY if front passenger airbag is turned off.

This is what I done for a few weeks.

There's a piece to it on rsa website
    I can't link it here.

• Advertisement

["Sligo1;93684818"]O crap..... :(

Yes!!

A baby can be placed in a rear facing seat in front passenger seat ONLY if front passenger airbag is turned off.

I can't link it here.

.[/quote]

Thanks monflat. I hope you didn't think when I said "o crap"... That o was saying u were wrong? I meant o crap... As in we may have to get another car if a number 3 comes along :).

Yes!!

I can't link it here.

Thanks monflat. I hope you didn't think when I said "o crap"... That o was saying u were wrong? I meant o crap... As in we may have to get another car if a number 3 comes along :).[/quote]

No not at all!!
    Other s I know all got car whilst pregnant I got car 4 months after baby born!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What about a Skoda Superb. Have heard that 3 child seats can be fitted across the back of one of theses and if you don,t like the Saloon then there is the Estate version of it too which is huge and looks good too.
    A ford Grand C-Max should have loads of room for 3 in the back as its a 7seater and it has sliding doors too plus its good to drive as well.
    If you want a BMW try the new 2 Series Active Tourer. Its there first MPV looks classy and stylish and is front wheel drive. There will be a bigger 7 seater version of it along later as well as a 4x4 version of it too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

What is your budget? Will you have one to trade in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

AMKC wrote: »
    What about a Skoda Superb. Have heard that 3 child seats can be fitted across the back of one of theses and if you don,t like the Saloon then there is the Estate version of it too which is huge and looks good too.

We've a Superb Combi. Two full seats and a booster, but it won't take 3 child seats.

I just googled what car will fit 3 seats in back and found this thread.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056195172
    A couple people on this thread say the 5 series will fit 3 seats in back? Spose the best way to know is put them all in and find out?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

Would a VW Tiguan do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

No. It won't.

Test drove loads.

The door wouldn't shut.

Unfotunatetly not we have a 535 and it only does 2 seats in back,, fine for us at moment as only have the two but if another comes along will have to part with my favourite toy!

I just googled what car will fit 3 seats in back and found this thread.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056195172
    A couple people on this thread say the 5 series will fit 3 seats in back? Spose the best way to know is put them all in and find out?? :)

Yes that's what we did our three wouldn't fit.
    But then again you could buy new seats.

But the seats are not fully snug when I had a booster a baby and achild car seat
    They were at an angle and not safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

We couldn't get three in back when we were babysitting niece however that could be as ours is an older model -2006 maybe the newer ones don't have the kind of hump thing as arm rest comes down

Advertisement